"Pray that you may not undergo the test."

What does it mean when Jesus tells the disciples "Pray that you may not undergo the test." , from the following verses?

"When he arrived at the place he said to them, "Pray that you may not undergo the test." Luke 22:40

He said to them, "Why are you sleeping? Get up and pray that you may "Pray that you may not undergo the test." Luke 22:46

I'm curious about what Bible version you're looking at. The DR reads "And when he was come to the place, he said to them: Pray, lest ye enter into temptation." (Luke 22:40). Every version I have looked at uses "temptation" rather than "undergo the test". Even that Latin Vulgate uses the word "temptationem". The same is true for Luke 22:46. Seems clear that this is in line with the prayer Jesus taught His disciples ("... Lead us not into temptation ...")

[quote="samaritana, post:1, topic:320026"]
What does it mean when Jesus tells the disciples "Pray that you may not undergo the test." , from the following verses?

"When he arrived at the place he said to them, "Pray that you may not undergo the test." Luke 22:40

He said to them, "Why are you sleeping? Get up and pray that you may "Pray that you may not undergo the test." Luke 22:46

[/quote]

Good question - it's what I thought when I listened to the reading today too!

(NAB translation, btw)

[quote="Cachonga, post:2, topic:320026"]
I'm curious about what Bible version you're looking at. The DR reads "And when he was come to the place, he said to them: Pray, lest ye enter into temptation." (Luke 22:40). Every version I have looked at uses "temptation" rather than "undergo the test". Even that Latin Vulgate uses the word "temptationem". The same is true for Luke 22:46. Seems clear that this is in line with the prayer Jesus taught His disciples ("... Lead us not into temptation ...")

[/quote]

It is part of the Palm Sunday reenactment of Jesus's entry into the capitol and passion.

[quote="Cachonga, post:2, topic:320026"]

[/quote]

I was going to say that

looked like a poor translation. Get up and pray that you may pray...?

It appears that the NAB has translated this differently than the other versions ("not undergo the test" as opposed to "enter not into temptation"). I am curious why such a translation would be used, especially considering the Council of Trent made the Latin Vulgate the official Bible of the Catholic Church (I understand that Vatican II made it possible for the readings to be in the common language of the people, but when the Latin Vulgate reads "ne intretis in temptationem' (Luke 22:46), why would the NAB translate it as "not undergo the test" instead of "enter not into temptation"?)

In regard to "pray that you may pray", that isn't how it appears in the NAB. Could it be that the reader had a "senior moment" and samaritana copied it as it was read? Or maybe samaritana misread it. In any event, I hope the question has been answered!

I am sorry. I cut and pasted too much. Luke 22:46 should read:

He said to them, "Why are you sleeping? Get up and pray that you may not undergo the test."

btw, the phrase caught my attention when read at mass today. I checked at home in my bible and it was the same as in mass. just didn't know what to make of it that way.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.