Pray the Rosary everyday:

How to pray the rosary: (You don’t have to catholic to do it)
erosary.com/rosary/prayers/how-to-pray.htm

Important Link:
erosary.com/rosary/benefits/mental.htm

erosary.com/rosary/benefits/spiritual.htm

erosary.com/rosary/benefits/physical.htm

erosary.com/rosary/benefits/fifteen-promises.htm

Does anyone here pray the rosary ??..if no why :confused:

It is certainly a wonderful prayer, and does work wonders for those who are devoted to it.

However, as I’m sure you know, it’s not a requirement of our Faith that we pray it. Many Eastern Catholic Christians do not consider it a part of their spiritual heritage, and have devotions of their own which they consider equally wonderful.

I pray it every day. For me, it helps me to get closer to our Lord, my faith, and well frankly, it helps me relax.

During warmer weather months, I thoroughly enjoy praying it while out on my morning walks. There is something about nature, it’s serentiy, and meditating upon the mysteries that really makes for the great start of a new day. :slight_smile:

I pray the Rosary sometimes, but not everyday. I focus more on praying the Divine Office, daily Mass, and mental prayer so usually the Rosary comes last if there is time. But the Rosary doesn’t work for every soul. St. Teresa said “pray as you can not as you can’t”. What is important is that we pray, not how we pray or what form we use. God bless! :slight_smile:

I’ve been on disability from work for the past two months due to a broken arm. My dad has wondered how I have stayed so psychologically healthy and upbeat. I definitely credit daily Rosary- I pray the Rosary with Fr. Pacwa in the holy land on EWTN every morning.

It is indeed a very powerful prayer. Didn’t necessarily think so before, but I do now.

I would first like to thank Brady01 for referencing our website in the original post. I am hopeful the information we provide on our website is beneficial.

The rosary does in fact work for every soul. However, it is not the preferred prayer/mediation of choice for some individuals. It does takes time, practice, and dedication.

I just want to point out that praying the rosary entitles us to receive a set of 15 Promises given to us by Mary.

The first promise states “Whoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the rosary, shall receive signal graces.”

Signal graces are truly amazing to experience. I encourage you all to pray the rosary with faith knowing this promise was given to you. Keep your eyes open, and you will see the Signal Graces! Some examples can be found here: Signal Graces.

Thank you all for praying the rosary!

The rosary does in fact work for every soul. However, it is not the preferred prayer/mediation of choice for some individuals. It does takes time, practice, and dedication.

I disagree. Prayer, in whatever form, takes time, practice, and dedication and it is not for anyone to set themselves up as a universal guide to prayer. It is a very individual thing and God works with each soul in His own way. I’ve seen too many people get discouraged because they’ve been browbeat with this idea that they aren’t good Catholics if they don’t say their rosary, which of course is nonsense! I think it’s wonderful that so many Christians do pray the rosary everyday and it’s great that they encourage that devotion. I myself would like very much to pray the Rosary daily, but personally, I place greater emphasis on mental prayer, daily Mass, and the Office. Sometimes I don’t make it to the Rosary and that is perfectly alright. And people need to be encouraged in whatever way they feel God is calling them to pray, not chastised because they don’t pray using one particular formula.

Thank you for this reminder! Our Blessed Mother, Our Lady of the Rosary, told us to say the Rosary daily at Fatima.

“Pray the Rosary every day in honor of Our Lady of the Rosary to obtain peace for the world… for she alone can save it.” (Our Lady–July 13, 1917)
“God has placed peace in her hands, and it is from the Immaculate Heart that men must ask it.” (Jacinta–shortly before her death)
“When you pray the Rosary, say after each mystery: ‘O Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those who have most need of your mercy.’” (June 13, 1917)
rosary-center.org/fatima.htm

St. Louis Mary de Montfort also wrote, The Secret of the Rosary, which explains the origin and name, prayers, mysteries, marvelous effects, proper dispositions, ways to combat distractions and pray the Rosary effectively, and Confraternities (so you can have the benefit of other people’s Rosaries as well) of the Most Holy Rosary.

Someone once wrote of this book, *“Possibly the finest book ever written about the Rosary; appeals to all ages. Shows the great spiritual power of the Rosary, which is appreciated by few.” *Pope John Paul II was also consecrated to the Immaculate Heart of Mary in the method of St. Louis Mary de Montfort. St. Padre Pio, who said, “The Rosary is The WEAPON”, said as many as 90 rosaries a day in a special form for which he received ecclesiastical permission. Father Thomas Euteneur, President of Human Life International, cites this in The Rosary Batters the Gates of Hell hli.org/sl_2008-10-03.html

**St. Louis Mary de Montfort expressly said in this book that the Rosary is the hardest prayer to pray well, compared to the Psalms, etc., and that is one of the reasons why it is so powerful when well said. :slight_smile: **

I pray the Rosary every day and I’m a member of the Rosary Confraternity:
rosary-center.org/

B r a d y 0 1. :heart:
thank you so much for posting this. :slight_smile: i have begun to pray the Rosary daily for the conversion and salvation of many people, and i trust completely that our Blessed Mother will hear and answer my prayers. i really enjoy praying the Rosary, and by the time i’m finished praying it, my heart is literally burning. it’s the most amazing feeling. i can feel myself loving our Mother more and more each day and growing closer to Her, and i’m so excited to develop a deeper devotion to Her. i think that the Rosary is a beautiful devotion, one that everyone should pray, especially if they want to receive the 15 Promises, but i also agree that it’s their personal decision if they want to pray it or not, that they shouldn’t be chastised or forced and that not praying the Rosary definitely does not make one a “bad Catholic.” i would definitely recommend that all Catholics pray it, but of course they don’t have to. it’s a personal choice, and that’s fine with me.

love,
in the peace and love of Christ,
alison :heart:

St. Louis Mary de Montfort expressly said in this book that the Rosary is the hardest prayer to pray well, compared to the Psalms, etc., and that is one of the reasons why it is so powerful when well said.

No doubt the Rosary is a powerful prayer, but de Montfort’s sentiments are not shared by everyone. In fact I know people for whom the opposite, of what he says, is true. The Church places the Divine Office over and above the Rosary because the Liturgy is of greater importance than private devotions. The great Doctors of prayer, Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross, taught that the most efficacious prayer and the prayer that helps souls reach union with God is mental prayer or meditation. By this they mean an intimate conversation with the Lord from the heart, without the restrictions of forms. The forms are good, but they are not an end in themselves. They are to lead us to deeper, more intimate prayer. Again, my point is not to discourage the praying of the Rosary. Not by any means! We just need to make sure we are not discouraging others from prayer just because they don’t pray the way we do.

The Divine Office is a wonderful prayer. It is the official prayer life of the Church. The Rosary is made up of two things. mental prayer and vocal prayer. In the Rosary, mental prayer is none other than meditation on the chief mysteries of the life, death and glory of Jesus Christ and of his blessed Mother. Vocal prayer consists in saying twenty decades of the Hail Mary, each decade headed by an Our Father, while at the same time meditating on and contemplating the principal virtues which Jesus and Mary practiced in the twenty mysteries of the Rosary. sancta.org/rosary/how.html

Meditation is a form of mental prayer consisting in the application of the various faculties of the soul, memory, imagination, intellect, and will to the consideration of some mystery, principle, truth, or fact, with a view to exciting proper spiritual emotions and resolving on some act or course of action regarded as God’s will and as a means of union with him.

newadvent.org/cathen/12345b.htm

St. Teresa of Avila in The Way of Perfection writes the most profound description of the importance of the Our Father, * a prayer that Christ himself told us to say,* that I have ever read, encompassing several chapters. circleofprayer.com/rosary.html In fact, after reading this explanation, I stopped saying certain segments of the Our Father for a while out of fear of sacrilege. She describes and explains both mental and verbal prayer.

Several of her insights on the Our Father are echoed in St. Louis Marie Grignon de Montfort’s The Secret of the Rosary. montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html I may be wrong on this - but I believe that she also wanted to describe the Hail Mary but did not because of lack of time/space. :confused: :slight_smile: However, St. Louis Marie Grignon de Montfort describes the importance of the Hail Mary very very profoundly.

Our Lady of the Rosary
Mary holds a special place for Catholics. She’s the first among saints. The rosary helps us to honor and imitate her.
The word rosary comes from the Latin word rosarium, which means “a garden of roses”, and this derivation helps explain the origins of this Marian prayer. In the 13th century nobles customarily crowned their beloved with a garland of roses. At the same time, one of the customs of chivalry was for knights to pledge their honor to the Blessed Virgin Mary. From these two customs developed the practice of “crowning” the Blessed Mother, either by placing a wreath of roses upon one of her images or by offering a spiritual “garland of roses” to her through the rosary prayer.

During this period Domingo de Guzman, who became known as St. Dominic, came to southern France to preach. While he was praying in a chapel in 1208, Our Lady appeared and taught him the complete rosary prayer, urging him to preach it to the rest of the world as a remedy against heresy and sin.

The apparitions of Our Lady of Fatima in the 20th century extended the devotions. On October 13, 1917, Our Lady of Fatima told the children, “I am the Lady of the Rosary. I have come to warn the faithful to amend their lives and to ask pardon for their sins… People must say the rosary. Let them continue to say it every day.”

Over the centuries countless numbers of people have become devoted prayers of the rosary, meditating on the 15 sacred mysteries and appealing to Mary’s motherly heart for help and healing.

americancatholic.org/features/customs/rosary/our_lady_rosary.asp

There is a Pope who wrote several letters/encyclicals, :confused: :slight_smile: , on the Rosary that I have not yet read. Perhaps I should find them and read them due to this wonderful reminder to pray the Rosary. :eek: :o

I purchased an audio version of the Rosary from iTunes and put it on my iPod. I also purchased the Divine Mercy Chaplet from the EWTN Religious Catalog and put it on my iPod. Since I have a one hour commute to and from work, I listen to and pray with both of them every day on my car stereo. On the weekends, I pray them at night before bed. It has been very helpful to me.

Where’s a good place to learn about the divine office?

I do pray the Rosary, but not every day. I led my first Rosary at my Church on Jan 25. The Rosary is usually recited on Sat and Sun before mass. I tend to get to mass early to pray the Rosary. I also pray the Rosary at Eucharistic Adoration or sometimes during the week with Mother Angelica recording on EWTN

I don’t know about a good online site to learn about the Divine Office! :eek: I also would be grateful for an online site to learn about the Divine Office as I find choosing the appropriate reading for each day’s Divine Office to be confusing, I can’t afford at the minute to buy one of those wonderful books - Divine Office for Dodos, eg., and I do not know of an online site that offers more than the night prayer of the Divine Office in an easy to understand and pray format. :frowning: Here is the Night Prayer of the Divine Office, updated daily, in an extremely easy to understand format. ebreviary.com/ebreviary/usa2/ebusanpprayer4b.nsf!OpenDatabase

I tried to search for you for other aspects of the Divine Office and this is what I found:
Divine Office - Liturgy of the Hours divineoffice.org/
Explanation of the Divine Office newadvent.org/cathen/11219a.htm
Proceed with care as I have not 100% proofread these to verify that they are completely in line with Catholic teaching. :wink:

my family is very devout and we pray the Rosary together every night at 9pm. we pray all 4 mysteries (joyful sorrowful, glorious, and light) every night. :slight_smile:

I would like to thank everyone who took part in this forum. My request was to increase the knowledge of the grace that our Blessed Mother has shown to my family over the years in grace and in protection. Especially allowing us to have a clear mind which allowed us to grow closer to our Blessed Mother and her Son Jesus Christ. And particularly thank you for your benevolence to me :). May our Blessed Mother bless each person who prays the rosary and keep us closer to her everyday in our lives.

St. Teresa of Avila in The Way of Perfection writes the most profound description of the importance of the Our Father, a prayer that Christ himself told us to say, that I have ever read, encompassing several chapters.

Indeed! One could spend hours on a single phrase from the Our Father. It reminds me of a story Archbishop Alban Goodier told in his book, “Spiritual Excellence”, about a woman who was bedridden. Since she couldn’t do anything else she decided to devote her life to prayer. One day she had a visitor who was curious about what prayers she said and asked, “do you pray your rosary everyday?”. The woman responded “goodness no, not everyday. I have not the time!” Her visitor was puzzled and wondered what it was that took up so much of her time. The woman explained that she started out with certain prayers that she would say everyday and soon thought that maybe it would be better if she prayed them more slowly. She grew in prayer and meditation so much that it would take her a week just to get through the Our Father. :slight_smile:

Thank you Brady01, and thank you for posting this message! :slight_smile: Here is an important reminder on the Rosary that is similar to what RyanML is making about the Our Father, that I often forget myself so thank you also RyanML for the reminder :eek:

From St. Louis Marie Grignon de Montfort, **Secret of the Rosary ** montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html

**Forth-First Rose: Purity of Intention **
It is not so much the length of a prayer, but the fervor with which it is said which pleases Almighty God and touches his Heart. One single Hail Mary that is said properly is worth more than one hundred and fifty that are badly said. Most Catholics say the Rosary, the whole fifteen mysteries or five of them anyway or, at least a few decades. So why is it then that so few of them give up their sins and go forward in the spiritual life? Surely it must be because they are not saying them as they should. It is a good thing to think over how we should pray if we really want to please God and become more holy.

To say the Holy Rosary to advantage on must be in a state of grace or at the very least be fully determined to give up mortal sin. This we know because all our theology teaches us that good works and prayers are only dead works if they are done in a state of mortal sin. Therefore they can neither be pleasing to God nor help us gain eternal life. This is why Ecclesiastes says: “Praise is not seemly in the mouth of a sinner.” (Eccl. 15:9) Praise of God and the salutation of the angel and the very Prayer of Jesus Christ are not pleasing to God when they are said by unrepentant sinners.

Our Lord said: “This people honoreth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.” It is as though He was saying: “Those who join My Confraternity (rosary-center.org/nroscon.htm) and say their Rosary every day (even perhaps the fifteen decades), but without being sorry for their sins offer Me lip service only and their hearts are far from Me.”

I have just said that to say the Rosary to advantage one must be in a state of grace “or at least be fully determined to give up mortal sin” first of all, because, if it were true that God only heard the prayers of those in a state of grace it would follow that people in a state of mortal sin should not pray at all. This is an erroneous teaching which has been condemned by Holy Mother Church, because of course sinners need to pray far more than good people do. Were this horrible doctrine true it would then be useless and futile to tell a sinner to say all, or even part of his Rosary, because it would never help him.

Secondly, because if they join one of Our Lady’s confraternities and recite the Rosary or some other prayer, but without having the slightest intention of giving up sin, they join the ranks of her false devotees. These presumptuous and impenitent devotees, hiding under her mantle, wearing the scapular and with rosary in hand, cry out: “Blessed Virgin, good Mother–Hail, Mary!..” And yet at the same time, by their sins, they are crucifying Our Lord Jesus Christ and tearing His flesh anew. It is a great tragedy, but from the very ranks of Our Lady’s most holy Confraternities souls are falling into the fires of hell.

We earnestly beg everyone to say the Holy Rosary: the just that they may persevere and grow in God’s grace; the sinners that they may rise from their sins. But God forbid that we should ever encourage a sinner to think that Our Lady will protect him with Her mantle if he continues to love sin, for then it will only turn into a mantle of damnation which will hide his sins from the public eye. The Rosary, which is a cure for all our ills, would then be turned into a deadly poison. “A corruption of what is best is worst.”

The learned Cardinal Hugues says: “one should really be as pure as an angel to approach the Blessed Virgin and to say the Angelic Salutation.” One day Our Lady appeared to an immoral man who used to always say his Rosary every day. She showed him a bowl of beautiful fruit, but the bowl itself was covered with filth. THe man was horrified to see this, and Our Lady said: “This is the way you are honoring me! You are giving me beautiful roses in a filthy bowl. Do you think I can accept presents of this kind?”

Here is the apostolic letter that I was talking about that I need to read myself :eek: Rosarium Virginis Mariae vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_20021016_rosarium-virginis-mariae_en.html And for further devotion to Mary than even the Rosary, consider Reflections on True Devotion to Mary by His Holiness Pope John Paul II http://www.michaeljournal.org/montfort.htm True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin fisheaters.com/totalconsecrationmontfort.html
and Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us. and the Rosary Confraternity Enrollment rosary-center.org/nconform.htm (As Pope Leo XIII said in his encyclical on the Confraternity, *“Whenever a person fulfills his obligation of reciting the Rosary according to the rule of the Confraternity, he includes in his intentions all its members and they render him the same service many times over.” * Each member includes deceased fellow members as well; and thus he knows that in turn he will be included in the prayers of hundreds of thousands both now and hereafter.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.