Pray the Rosary everyday:

Wow, your family prays for 2 hours every night!?

Wow.

I currently pray 5 decades about 3 times a week.
I’m trying to pray 5 decades DAILY. And then increase it to 10 decades, and then get up to 15 decades a day.

I tried to pray on my knees and it just hurt too much so I gave up (we don’t have carpets).

I feel the devil really does hate this prayer though. When I pray I keep thinking how tired I am or how it seems too hard. Usually, by end of the half hour I am able to concentrate.

If I say it slowly, then it seems overwhelmingly boring.

Sometimes each word is an effort. Its like I just want to quit. But if I focus and persevere it becomes easier as the devil realizes I am not going to stop praying.

I used to be a Buddhist and did lots of shamatha/vipashana meditation as well as Buddhist mantras. I can tell you that the Rosary is far more difficult. I can only imagine it is because the devil truely does not want us to be close to Mary and Jesus.

For instance, I can sit there and sortof space out for a long time. Not space out, but what I mean is relax my mind and have some mental quietude. However, when I pray the rosary, boy - its like a battle.

I commend everyone for persevering with this prayer that is, I think, the MOST hated prayer of the devil.

If I say it slowly, then it seems overwhelmingly boring.

That’s funny because I have the opposite experience! For me, if I say the Rosary too fast, I have a difficult time meditating on the mysteries and so it gets real boring real fast! I usually end up spending about 35-40 minutes on 5 decades simply because that extra time for meditation makes all the difference. But you see, everyone prays in different ways. :slight_smile: God bless!

I agree with you :thumbsup: Others agree with you as well. :o Maybe we are right. :shrug: :confused:

*The following text of Father Gabriel Amorth, chief exorcist of the Vatican, is taken from the March-April, 2003 issue of "Echo of Mary, Queen of Peace."http://www.michaeljournal.org/rosarypower.htm *
Faith as Trust and Joy-Evangelium
The recent Apostolic Letter of John Paul II, “Rosarium Virginis Mariae” (released last October 16) encourages all Christians to turn back to the prayer strongly recommended both by the latest Pontiffs and recent Marian apparitions. Paul VI called the rosary a compendium of the Gospel. To make it more complete, John Paul II added the ‘mysteries of light’ to cover Jesus’ public life. Padre Pio called the Rosary beads a weapon of extraordinary power against Satan.

One day a colleague of mine heard the devil say during an exorcism: “Every Hail Mary is like a blow on my head. If Christians knew how powerful the Rosary was, it would be my end.” The secret that makes this prayer so effective is that the Rosary is both prayer and meditation. It is addressed to the Father, to the Blessed Vrigin, and to the Holy Trinity, and is a meditation centered on Christ.

Another excerpt:

The Secret of the Rosary, by St. Louis de Montfort, Forty-Third Rose: Fighting Distractions
When the Rosary is well said it gives Jesus and Mary more glory and it is more meritorious for the soul than any other prayer. But it is also the hardest prayer to say well and to persevere in, owing especially to the distractions which almost inevitably attend the constant repitition of the same words.

When we say the Little Office of Our Lady, or the Seven Penitential Psalms, or any prayers other than the Rosary, the variety of words and expressions keeps us alert, prevents our imagination from wandering, and so makes it easier for us to say them well. On the contrary, because of the constant repetition of the same Our Father and Hail Mary in the ame unvarying form, it is difficult, while saying the Rosary, not to become wearied and inclined to sleep or to turn to other prayers that are more refreshing and less tedious. This goes to show that one needs much greater devotion to persevere in saying the Holy Rosary than in saying any other prayer, even the Psalms of David.
Our imagination, which is hardly still a minute, makes our task harder and then of course there is the devil who never tires of trying to distract us and keep us from praying. To what ends does not the evil one go against us while we are engaged in saying our Rosary against him.

Being human, we easily become tired and slipshod–but the devil makes these difficulties worse when we are saying the Rosary. Before we even begin he makes us feel bored, distracted or exhausted–and when we have started praying he oppresses us from all sides. And when, after much difficulty and many distractions, we have finished, he whispers to us: “What you have just said is worthless. It’s useless for you to say the Rosary. You had better get on with other things. It’s only a waste of time to pray without paying attention to what you’re saying; half an hour’s meditation or some spiritual reading would be much better. Tomorrow when you’re not feeling so sluggish you’ll pray better; don’t finish your Rosary until tomorrow.” By tricks of this kind the devil gets us to give up the Rosary altogether or else hardly say it at all, and we keep putting it off or else change to some other devotion.

Dear Rosary Confraternity members, do not listen to the devil, but be of good heart even if your imagination has been bothering you throughout your Rosary, filling your mind with all kinds of distracting thoughts–as long as you really tried hard to get rid of them as soon as they came. Always remember that the best Rosary is the one with the most merit, and there is more merit in praying when it is hard than when it is easy. Prayer is all the harder when it is (naturally speaking) distasteful to the soul and is filled with those annoying little ants and flies running about in your imagination, against yourwill, and scarcely allowing you the time to enjoy a little peace and appreaciate the beauty of what you are saying.

Even if you have to fight distractions all through your whole Rosary be sure to fight well, arms in hand: that is to say, do not stop saying your Rosary even if it is hard to say and you have absolutely no sensible devotion. It is a terrible battle, I know, but one that is profitable to the faithful soul. If you put down your arms, that is, if you give upt he Rosary, you will be admitting defeat and then, having won, the devil will leave you alone.
But at the Day of Judgment he will taunt you because of your faithlessness and lack of courage. “He that is faithful in that which is least, is faithul also in that which is greater.” (Luke 16:10) He who fights even the smallest distractions faithfully when he says even the very smallest prayer he will also be faithful in great things. We can be absolutely certain of this because the Holy Spirit has told us so.

So all of you, servants and handmaids of Our Lord Jesus Christ and the Blessed Virgin Mary, who have made up your minds to say the Rosary every day, be of good heart. Do not let the flies (it is thus that I call the distractions that make war on you during prayer) make you cowardly abandon the company of Jesus and Mary, in whose holy presence you always are when saying the Rosary. In what follows I shall give you suggestions for getting rid of distractions.

I am on my way to being converted and I have started to pray the rosary every day or try to on most days i think i have only missed a day here and there…but i am only praying through one set of mysteries instead of all four but it is my goal to pray through all four everyday…i believe it is a good way to dedicate time to christ…to just slow down and remember how him and mary and the disciples lived to be examples for us to follow…most of the time i dont pray the rosary for a request but just to spend time meditating on christs life devotion and sacrifice for our sins.

Yes, it started with my grandmother who spent half her life in the church. As far as I can remember, she always brings us (all her grandchildren) along with her. It has been years since she passed away. However, my mother never forgets the value my grandmother taught us all. Religiosity and spirituality. And I know someday I want my future children to have this value too. :slight_smile:

I think it is wonderful how many here enjoy this devotion daily, including myself, however, I wanted to relay a tid bit
our diocese spiritual director talked about the other day.

She noted that while dedication to a particular prayer such as the rosary is fantastic, remember that it is quality, not quantity that matters, and to not get so tied up in getting x amount of prayer said each day, that if our Lord himself walked into the room you might stop and say “hold on a minute, I need to finish a decade” :slight_smile:

Just some food for thought.

That’s a good attitude to have. In fact that’s what I did. It’s like spirtiual weightlifting to me. You start out small and work your way up. Now I’m up to the Joyful, Sorrowful, and Glorious mysteries everyday…and it is getting slightly easier to get through them all (keeping in mind it is still a battle to get through).

I can’t tell you the benefits I received from it. It started with mending a broken heart, then increased my faith, it brought peace to my anxieties and worries, it reduced my stress at work…my workouts at the gym are even getting better and I’ve been a happier person.

One of my favorite pieces in the Secret of the Rosary is when St. Dominic through the power of Mary forced the demons to tell everybody which saint they most feared and should be most loved and revered by men…they said the Mother of Jesus (the demons fear her so much they can’t even say her name) and that those who prayed the rosary faithfully until death will be saved by her intercession from eternal damnation. Pretty good endorsement if you ask me.

Thnx for the commen is really helpful to know that :slight_smile:

Anyone here considering of praying they rosary of a new ambition for 2009 If you are please do pray the rosary And anyone having any problems PM me or someone on this form. God bless you for praying the rosary and May it bring joy and happiness to your family for eternal life on earth :slight_smile:

I pray the Rosary every afternoon and then one decade in my evening prayers. I only started at the start of this year, but I have to say that it has changed my life. I sleep better, business at my office has increased, and I have never been closer to God.

It is certainly not a talisman, but a powerful form of prayer.

Steve

I know what you mean :rolleyes: :slight_smile: belief in the rosary and anything can happen and pray the rosary

I should and want to pray the rosary daily, but I find it too hard to find a quiet moment to sit down and pray. I do try to pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy every Sunday.

-Jeanne

It is good to know your family is doing that together every night.
That is really great!

I do all 4 mysteries (joyful, luminous, sorrowful, glorious) every day through out the day, except few times when I was extremely busy.

Rosary is a very powerful devotion. If we do all 4 mysteries, we walk through Jesus’ life from incarnation to resurrection. :thumbsup:

you could go to mass early or go to your bedroom…Pray the rosary it will relax you. Injoy the graces which can be found in the below link :slight_smile:

Going to mass daily is out of the question, I can’t drive and I have to be at school for 7:00 anyways. But I am making an effort to pray the rosary more. Taking small steps by praying at least once a week. I would love to get closer to Our Blessed Mother.

That’s interesting… I’m Eastern Catholic and so is my entire family and we’ve always prayed the rosary – every night since I can remember.

I’m for Ireland and Ireland was associated with strong Catholics throughout 1800-1990 until people started not to have such a strong background of religion in them now. It’s a shame because

our blessed mother came to Ireland in Mayo in 21st August 1879 when Our Lady, St. Joseph and St. John the Evangelist appeared at the south gable of Knock Parish Church. The apparition was witnessed by fifteen people, young and old. From this miraculous occurrence Knock has grown to the status of an internationally recognised Marian Shrine.

This is really a shock to some people that not everyone does the rosary mostly the old. But I’m still very young and I pray the rosary because I have a very strong denotation to our blessed mother and her son. Because I know if I want something I will get it by praying the rosary as long as god has it in his plain for me to get that intension I request

That is one reason why I want people to learn the rosary. Blessed virgin Mary wants to everyone praying the rosary. As it will create enough power for her and her blessed son to create world peace once and for all

knock-shrine.ie/

try into google search photo of knock shirne for more photo of the grounds

this is what it looked when it happen
sisterbriege.com/images%20Knock%20Retreat%202006/Apparition%20at%20Knock%20Shrine.JPG

It is hard for me to pray the Rosary. I get distracted (sometimes by disturbing thoughts…Scrupulosity issues) and have trouble meditating on the Mysteries and then I worry that I am messing it up (usually after the 4th decade, I pray that my recitation of the Rosary will be accepted and stuff…is that okay BTW? to add a prayer between decades).

There are many times I am distracted while praying the rosary. It is a difficult prayer, and I believe the devil himself wishes to cause interruption at times. However, I also believe that our blessed Mother is like all Mother’s, and accepts, and love’s our prayer now matter how imperfect it may be.

An example I like to think of is this. As a child, I would bring my mother a bundle of dandelion with pride. Yes, they were weeds, but my Mother loved them just the same, as she loves me. I think sometimes of my more distracted prayer sessions as “weedy” if you will. :slight_smile: Knowing that the blessed Mother knows and loves our intentions, no matter how perfect, or imperfect, they may be. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.