Pray TO Mary or THROUGH Mary

Are we to be praying to Mary or through Mary…

I guess what I mean here is - do we ask her to answer our prayer or do we ask her to pray for us. Which one or both?

Thank you.

Whenever I pray to Mary or the saints, I am asking them to pray for me. I don’t ask them to answer my prayer because I think God does that. I just tell them what I am praying to God for, and could they pray to God about that for me also.

Mary is not God. Catholics ask Mary through prayer to interecede on their behalf with God to grant our requests.

Iowa Mike

The more help on this the better…This is one of the things that makes me unsettled about the Catholic Church.

Put it this way … let’s imagine a situation where my mother is stay-at-home, not in paid employment, not earning any money of her own and obtaining what money she does have from my father who works to financially support the family.

Imagine she happens to be driving me to school one day and I realise that I need lunch money or something. Am I going to say ‘mom, can you call home and ask Dad if I can have a few bucks for lunch?’. Of course not. I just say ‘mom, could you give me some money for lunch please?’.

Even for larger expenses I may still choose to ask via mom, in which case it’d still be ‘mom, can I have a bike? … a car? … money for my class trip to Disneyland?’. And then possibly she may have to ask my father and get back to me about it … or just as possibly not! Some husbands give their wives more independence in financial matters than others.

It’s perfectly understood between myself and my mother that the money ultimately comes from dad who earns it, so why should I have to explicitly spell it out for her or for myself every time I talk to her?

So it is with Mary. We know where her power ultimately comes from, as does she :slight_smile: There is no purpose served in constantly mentioning it by adding ‘through God’ to every single prayer.

I should also imagine, being the greatest of all the Saints, she has a great deal of independence permitted her in how she uses what powers are graciously granted to her by God.

The Pope here is praying to Her…in fact, he is giving himself completely to her - directly. This is why you have Protestants who say what they say. This is definitely giving of oneself (sacrificing oneself) and treating her as God.

Immaculate Conception, Mary, my Mother.
Live in me. Act in me. Speak in and through me.
Think your thoughts in my mind. Love, through my heart.
Give me your dispositions and feelings.
Teach, lead and guide me to Jesus.
Correct, enlighten and expand my thoughts and behavior.
Possess my soul. Take over my entire personality and life.
Replace it with yourself.
Incline me to constant adoration and thanksgiving.
Pray in me and through me.
Let me live in you and keep me in this union always.
– Pope John Paul II

We do not treat her as God. What kind of lies have you been taught about us Catholics? Time and time again, we told you we do not give Mary the same type of worship we do towards God.

If you look at the prayer, Jesus is not taken out. Pope John Paul II said in that prayer, teach and guide us to Jesus.

Second, you must understand the communion of saints. We are bodies of Christ. Just a body, when one suffer, the whole body suffer. Mary is part of the Body of Believers, the Church. That is why since we, Church Militant (Church suffering on earth), and Church triumphiant (saints in heaven), live are in union.

So I want to make this CLEAR TO ALL NONE-CATHOLICS.

The Catholic Church does not give the same type of worship to Mary as God. They do not consider her equal to God. You need to get that out of your HEAD.

I don’t see anything wrong with this prayer. JPII is saying he wants to be exactly like Mary, and he wants Mary to help him in that endeavor. Nowhere in the prayer does he say that Mary is God or that he worships Mary as God or that Mary has the power of God or that Mary is equal to God.

He’s asking a saint to help him be like she was - in all things obedient to God.

When we pray to Mary, we are asking her to speak to God on our behalf. People need to understand the distinction between PRAYER and WORSHIP. Prayer is communication with heaven. Worship is giving glory to our Creator, and is due God alone.

We believe Mary has a special place as the mother of our Lord. Think of how much pull YOUR mother has on you!

My fiance had trouble with this at first because her time in a non-denom had instructed her that Mary was simply a tool used by God. Once she understood the difference between prayer and worship, she saw it was much like asking fellow parishioners to pray for you (except likely more powerful), something no protestant would object to.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Methodist thinks this is a perfectly beautiful, & entirely appropriate prayer!! It is far, far, from “treating Mary as God”.
Do you want to know what it does remind me of?? When I was a little girl growing up, I had the most wonderful Christian grandmother. When I wanted a prayer ansered, wanted it really bad, not just a little bit, I would crawl into her lap & whisper what I wanted. And she would put her arms around me, and pray to our Lord, asking for my prayer to be answered…
Should I not have asked my grandmother to pray? Knowingthat she was a real prayer warrior? Should I have refused to do that, because I’m not supposed to ask anybody else to pray for me?? Of course, it was perfectly OK to do as I did…
And now, today, sometimes, when I really, really want a prayer answered, when it is so very important, I take out my rosary. I climb into the lap of Mary, the Mother of God, & I whisper what I want…and she prays it, out loud, to the Lord for me. And I can rest, like a little girl again, because I know that Mary is the:) greatest prayer warrior of all.

At the end of the Memorare prayers, I humbly pray:

*O Mother of the Word Incarnate, do not despise our petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer us. Amen

Mary cannot answer our prayers without the guidance of Jesus. So if my prayers to Mary are answered, I know it is only through the Love and Grace of Christ!

This is not just asking someone to pray for you…this is much more.

In that prayer…he offered himself up as a sacrifice to someone other that God…Prayer, in the Bible, is looked upon as a sacrifice. Spiritual sacrifices…

1 Peter 2:5 KJV 5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

Prayer…

Hosea 14:2 KJV 2 Take with you words, and turn to the LORD: say unto him, Take away all iniquity, and receive us graciously: so will we render the calves of our lips.

2 Chronicles 30:27 KJV 27 Then the priests the Levites arose and blessed the people: and their voice was heard, and their prayer came up to his holy dwelling place, even unto heaven.

Praise is a sacrifice…

Hebrews 13:15-16 KJV 15 By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.

Thanksgiving is a sacrifice…

Psalms 116:17 KJV 17 I will offer to thee the sacrifice of thanksgiving, and will call upon the name of the LORD.

A broken spirit…

Psalms 51:17 KJV 17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

I am reminded of the following passage of scripture.

Exodus 22:20 KJV 20 He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed.

Also…

Psalms 115:3-8 KJV 3 But our God is in the heavens: he hath done whatsoever he hath pleased. 4 Their idols are silver and gold, the work of men’s hands. 5 They have mouths, but they speak not: eyes have they, but they see not: 6 They have ears, but they hear not: noses have they, but they smell not: 7 They have hands, but they handle not: feet have they, but they walk not: neither speak they through their throat. 8 They that make them are like unto them; so is every one that trusteth in them.

She cannot hear you, nor can she talk to you and may as well be as the statue setting out in front of your house…according to scripture…what is a sacrifice to Mary is abomination.

Immaculate Conception, Mary, my Mother.
Live in me. Act in me. Speak in and through me.
Think your thoughts in my mind. Love, through my heart.
Give me your dispositions and feelings.
Teach, lead and guide me to Jesus.
Correct, enlighten and expand my thoughts and behavior.
Possess my soul. Take over my entire personality and life.
Replace it with yourself.
Incline me to constant adoration and thanksgiving.
Pray in me and through me.
Let me live in you and keep me in this union always.
– Pope John Paul II

A sacrifice to someone but the Lord - an abomination.

Sad…and I am sorry this offends you…but it is the truth. You must repent.

:rotfl:

Praise, thanksgiving and sacrifice are all worship? Man, I worship EVERYONE then - my teachers, parents, politicians, work colleagues! I praise all of them, thank all of them and sacrifice for them too!

There’s a very common Catholic saying - ad Jesu per Mariam: TO Jesus THROUGH Mary. Think about it.

Every piece of food that goes from your mouth to your stomach must go through your throat. Does that mean your throat is the same thing as your mouth or stomach? Or that your throat is equally important as your mouth or stomach? Of course not. Simply that it is a very important organ in its own right and life is immeasurably more difficult without it, as anyone who’s ever had a throat infection knows.

I have a common saying that I proclaim frequently…To Jesus through the Word of God. Your boldfaced comments above are also not applicable and an attempt to ignore a serious problem.

“Prayer” is not “worship.” They are two different words for a reason.

“Pray” just means “communicate.” In some legal papers I still see the word “pray” used, as in, “Your affirmant prays the court for the following relief …” That certainly doesn’t mean anybody is worshipping the court.

I pray (communicate) to Mary, but I never would worship her. My worship is reserved for God alone.

With this in mind, yes, I pray to Mary, asking her to pray for me to the Lord.

Lily remarks are 100% on the money.

In re: your little saying?? [SIGN][FONT=Comic Sans MS][size=5]Hello!!!Jesus is the Word of God!![/SIGN][/size][/FONT]
You might wanta try to remember that. Like say, when you’re sacrificing your spare time to work extra hours to buy a new Bible.
Wouldn’;t want anybody thinking you were**:rolleyes: worshipping** or :rolleyes: sacrificing to your Bible…

We pray to Mary as one walks through a door to enter a room. We go to her directly, but always going through her, to her Son in whom we have our being.

Peace be with you!

Do you want to know what it does remind me of?? When I was a little girl growing up, I had the most wonderful Christian grandmother. When I wanted a prayer ansered, wanted it really bad, not just a little bit, I would crawl into her lap & whisper what I wanted. And she would put her arms around me, and pray to our Lord, asking for my prayer to be answered…
Should I not have asked my grandmother to pray? Knowingthat she was a real prayer warrior? Should I have refused to do that, because I’m not supposed to ask anybody else to pray for me?? Of course, it was perfectly OK to do as I did…
And now, today, sometimes, when I really, really want a prayer answered, when it is so very important, I take out my rosary. I climb into the lap of Mary, the Mother of God, & I whisper what I want…and she prays it, out loud, to the Lord for me. And I can rest, like a little girl again, because I know that Mary is the greatest prayer warrior of all.

Zooey that is beautiful. It brought tears to my eyes.

What is difficult for you is that you have no scriptural basis for your practice but only have philisophical opinions that have no biblical basis. Then, on top of that, you ridicule me by saying…

***In re: your little saying?? Hello!!!Jesus is the Word of God!! **

You might wanta try to remember that. Like say, when you’re sacrificing your spare time to work extra hours to buy a new Bible.
Wouldn’t want anybody thinking you were worshipping or sacrificing to your Bible…*

I am very aware that Jesus IS the Word of God but the Word of God, in the OT and NT proclaim Christ. And, I know you know this too…but you choose to purpousfully misunderstand me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.