Pray without ceasing

How do we pray without ceasing, and what does that mean?

Does it mean doing what some of the Eastern Orthodox do, and practicing the Jesus prayer?

Should we do that silently, in our heads, all the time?

There have been* varied *approaches to such over the centuries.

(and no they do not all mean what is discussed by Eastern Orthodox etc about the Jesus prayer -such is but one such approach in history).

What are some of the other approaches?

It means offering everything you do up to God. It means keeping God in mind during every moment of your day. It doesn’t mean reciting formal prayers all day long in your head.

In addition to the prayer of the Church, (Mass) and spontaneous prayer, rote prayer, Bible study, make your like a prayer. Offer all that you do for the glory of God.

I also associated it with the Jesus prayer of the eastern churches (or Prayer of the Heart as St. Paul was possibly referring to) and prayer through work (offering up your works and labor).

Prayer is by definition the lifting up of your heart and mind to God.
If everything we do is an act of love, then it is prayer. That includes such humble daily tasks as doing the dishes. It is why I liked the kitchen prayer that my mother used to have. “Dear God of pots and pans and things. Make my grumbling cease. I may have Martha’s hands, but I have a Mary heart…”
Yes, the Jesus Prayer is one way of praying without ceasing.
The Church as a whole prays without ceasing with the Liturgy of the Hours since the hours are prayed throughout the world.
Not all prayer is verbal or even mental. To the extent that we are open to God’s grace in our life we are praying.

A very ancient approach was to see ones good actions during the joined with what we ordinarily call “prayer” together being a meaning of the Scripture regarding to pray without ceasing. Living ones daily life as a Christian together with formal times of prayer (in the early centuries such could often be three times a day at least - such as the Our Father (etc) at morning, noon and in the evening or third hour (9am), the sixth hour (noon) and the ninth hour (3pm).

Also one could simply take it as keeping to the set times of prayer that were prayed during the time of Paul etc.

Here is one could suggest is another

opusdei.us/en-us/article/work-and-contemplation-i/

opusdei.us/en-us/article/work-and-contemplation-ii/

There have been like I noted various approaches down through the centuries.

One could suggest - Living in the presence of God for example.

Or the use of short prayers during ones day too (which is a even a way to remain in the presence of God) in addition to set times of prayer…

etc

Compendium issued by Pope Benedict XVI

576. Is it possible to pray always?

2742-2745

Praying is always possible because the time of the Christian is the time of the risen Christ who remains “with us always” (Matthew 28:20). Prayer and Christian life are therefore inseparable:

“It is possible to offer frequent and fervent prayer even at the market place or strolling alone. It is possible also in your place of business, while buying or selling, or even while cooking.” (Saint John Chrysostom)

vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html

Emp added

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.