Prayer after communion.

What do you do/pray after receiving the Eucharist?

Just curious. I personally just reflect and either kneel silently with gratitude and humility or say the Lord's Prayer while gazing upon Jesus on the cross.

I've read a couple prayers that some of the saints used after receiving the Eucharist, which sparked my curiosity.

Looking forward to your responses.

God bless,
Bryan

The prayer after communion is a tough one for me. There is so much motion, singing, etc. that it is hard for me to concentrate. So I usually read the prayers that are on the back of the missile. My favorite, and one that I should probably memorize, is the Anima Christi.

I have found from experience (and by accident!) that the sweetest graces come upon you if you stay back after mass and continue with a prayerful attitude. i.e. not in a rush to leave after mass is over.

I subsequently found out that this practice is called "Thanksgiving after Communion". You can Google thanksgiving after communion prayers and find your favourite. But I have this handy with me all the time:
iec2012.ie/media/PrayerotherResources-prayers1.pdf

I really can't recommend this practice enough. It solidified my understanding of the real presence of Jesus deep within. The result for me is the peace which the world cannot give.

God bless you in your journey.

[quote="bscastro, post:1, topic:278064"]
What do you do/pray after receiving the Eucharist?

Just curious. I personally just reflect and either kneel silently with gratitude and humility or say the Lord's Prayer while gazing upon Jesus on the cross.

I've read a couple prayers that some of the saints used after receiving the Eucharist, which sparked my curiosity.

Looking forward to your responses.

God bless,
Bryan

[/quote]

I return to the pew and continue to kneel while thanking God in prayer for allowing me to receive and I request that the Holy Eucharist strengthen me spiritually over the next week to avoid sin, to recognize God’s will and to give me the strength to live within that will.

I simply try my best to meditate/contemplate on what has just occurred. How we were present as bread and wine turned into the God of the universe. That each one of us has consumed or is waiting to consume the body and blood, soul and divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ.
That's easy to do at an Extraordinary Form Mass. The sound of Gregorian chant (and the fact that we all kneel to receive God) brings my mind close to heaven. At the Ordinary Form I find that I expend a lot of energy trying to blot out the Communion hymn.
I always kneel and have my eyes shut. I do not see the commotion and I can sometimes get into a brief period of non-verbal prayer.

[quote="TGIC, post:3, topic:278064"]
I have found from experience (and by accident!) that the sweetest graces come upon you if you stay back after mass and continue with a prayerful attitude. i.e. not in a rush to leave after mass is over.

I subsequently found out that this practice is called "Thanksgiving after Communion". You can Google thanksgiving after communion prayers and find your favourite. But I have this handy with me all the time:
iec2012.ie/media/PrayerotherResources-prayers1.pdf

I really can't recommend this practice enough. It solidified my understanding of the real presence of Jesus deep within. The result for me is the peace which the world cannot give.

God bless you in your journey.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:
YES!
Thank you. I just tried to communicate this in a different thread. I had no idea it had a formal designation. Thank you for sharing.

I'm the cantor, so usually, on Sunday, I have to focus on the song. During weekday Mass, I usually am just kind of in awe and so feel kind of speachless and stupid. If I can get an "Our Father" in I've done well. Usually ... it's .... like .... I'm .... somewhere .... else... but ... nowhere...
It's really hard to explain.

Mornings, I pray the Rosary on the way to, before, and after 8am Mass. Evenings, because I can’t spend as much time in Church, I would probably pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet on the way to, and before Mass.

I also meditate on the Rosary (Sorrowful Mysteries) very early mornings upon rising.

2 Cor 13:13
Eddy Barry

I have an old missal from the 1940's and it contains wonderful prayers for both before mass and after.

After communion I always pray the Anima Christi as translated by Cardinal Henry Newman. someone mentioned about memorizing and this one, with it's poetic rhymes worked for me:
Soul of Christ, be my sanctification;
Body of Christ, be my salvation;
Blood of Christ, fill all my veins;
Water of Christ's side, wash out my stains;
Passion of Christ, my comfort be;
O good Jesus, listen to me;
In Thy wounds I fain would hide;
Ne'er to be parted from Thy side;
Guard me, should the foe assail me;
Call me when my life shall fail me;
Bid me come to Thee above,
With Thy saints to sing Thy love,
World without end.
Amen.

The other prayer that I love is the Prayer of Thanksgiving for communion, by Thomas Aquinas:
I render thanks to Thee, O Lord, holy Father, everlasting God, who has vouchsafed, not for any merits of mine, but of Thy great mercy only, to feed me, a sinner, Thine unworthy servant, with the precious Body and Blood of Thy Son our Lord Jesus Christ; and I pray that this Holy Communion may not be for my judgement and condemnation , but for my pardon and salvation. Let it be unto me an armor of faith and a shield of good purpose, a riddance of all vices and a rooting out of all evil desire; an increase of love and patience, of humility and obedience, and of all virtues; a firm defense against the wiles of all my enemies, visible and invisible; a perfect quieting of all my impulses, fleshly and spiritual; a cleaving unto Thee the one true God; and a blessed consummation of my end when Thou dost call. And I pray that Thou wouldst vouchsafe to bring me a sinner to that feast, where Thou, with Thy Son and Thy Holy Spirit, art to Thy holy ones true light, fullness of blessedness, everlasting joy, and perfect happiness.

Through the same Christ our Lord. Amen
Lastly - I have a holy card in my missal from my Dad's funeral with the prayer attributed to St Francis.
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
when there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.
Grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand,
to be loved as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
- St Francis of Assisi

After this I fairly "float" out of Church on a wave peace and joy.

Peace
James

Thank you all! I think I will try these prayers to enhance my Mass experience.

God bless,
Bryan

We are each a unique soul, which the Holy Spirit is forming to a likeness of Jesus.And yes, HE gave me a beautiful prayer for Holy Communion, before, during, and after. So ask the Holy Spirit to help you-HE will!

We are each a unique soul, which the Holy Spirit is forming to a likeness of Jesus.And yes, HE gave me a beautiful prayer for Holy Communion, before, during, and after. So ask the Holy Spirit to help you-HE will!

When serving I listen to the hymns - the words that the choir are singing

When in the choir I sing the hymns and use the words of hte hymn to focus my attention.

Other than that of the joint Eucharistic Prayer that we do have after.

I pray my own private conversation with the Lord, and then I pray the prayer of St. Thomas Aquinas for after mass.

I pray "Thank you Jesus--speak to me" and then just be quiet and listen as hard as I can until it is time to stop kneeling.

I've heard that in some private revelation or another that Jesus told the person to be quiet right after communion and listen so He could speak to them.

I don't know if such a thing is true or not--but I figure that during the Mass I have been praying and singing and speaking--I figure after taking communion that it should be a time to LISTEN to Jesus after thanking Him?

Am I right?

What has just happened when I have received Holy Communion is so wondrous .

I just welcome Jesus and thank him , and then usually quietly reflect on his presence .

Also each Sunday I usually have some special need or intention which I present to Jesus .

[quote="Jerry-Jet, post:14, topic:278064"]
I pray "Thank you Jesus--speak to me" and then just be quiet and listen as hard as I can until it is time to stop kneeling.

I've heard that in some private revelation or another that Jesus told the person to be quiet right after communion and listen so He could speak to them.

I don't know if such a thing is true or not--but I figure that during the Mass I have been praying and singing and speaking--I figure after taking communion that it should be a time to LISTEN to Jesus after thanking Him?

Am I right?

[/quote]

A very good point. Just read Mother Teresa's book "In the Heart of the World" and she has a chapter on silence and listening to God - we're always telling him stuff!

God bless,
Bryan

[quote="Jerry-Jet, post:14, topic:278064"]

Am I right?

[/quote]

What do you hear in the silence? Mother Teresa said to seek silence in the heart.

I'm still struggling to find the 'still, small voice' within the silence, and I'm undergoing a week of Ignatian guided prayer to be able to discern that. The voice of God versus your own thoughts - I find it confusing to discern between the two and I can't say that I'm 100% that it is God that is speaking to me. Any thoughts from your experiences in contemplative or meditative prayers?

Cheers!

I usually pray the same thing, “Lord please make me worthy of the sacrifice I just received.”

[quote="TGIC, post:17, topic:278064"]
What do you hear in the silence? Mother Teresa said to seek silence in the heart.

I'm still struggling to find the 'still, small voice' within the silence, and I'm undergoing a week of Ignatian guided prayer to be able to discern that. The voice of God versus your own thoughts - I find it confusing to discern between the two and I can't say that I'm 100% that it is God that is speaking to me. Any thoughts from your experiences in contemplative or meditative prayers?

Cheers!

[/quote]

What do you hear in the silence? Hmm, I would hope just silence many a time. Because silence is a simple way of just being with God. We think that we should ask him things and he should answer our requests and some of us remember that we should listen to God. But fewer still seem to recognise we can simply be with God and I approach the service as being with God. Simply being with God. Silence is just one way of being with God through the service. I am not searching to listen to him. Just simply being with him. Enjoying his love and giving me to him.

All these are awesome. Gives me other things to try after I receive the Eucharist. My personal ritual is I kneel and look at the Crucifix, then pray the "Prayer Before the Crucifix"

"Look down upon me, good and gentle Jesus,
While before your face I humbly kneel.
And with a burning soul pray and beseech You to fix deep in my heart,
lively sentiments of faith, hope, and charity,
true contrition for my sins, and a firm purpose of amendment;
while I contemplate with great love and tender pity Your five wounds,
pondering over them within me,
calling the to mind the words which David, Your prophet, said of You, my Jesus:
'They have pierced my hands and my feet;
I can count all my bones.'"

Then an Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory Be, focusing on each word and asking the Holy Spirit to make me an instrument in the Will of God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.