Prayer and the Destruction of the Temple

Just a quick note to address the misconception that prayer was used as a way to replace sacrifice after the destruction of the Temple.

When the Temple was standing, many people living a long distance away from it, or who were not Temple priests, desired to perform an act of worship. Communal prayer, during and after Temple times, served/serves as a means actively participating in a holy service.

I don’t believe the statement that “prayer was used as a way to replace sacrifice after the Temple was destroyed” is meant to convey the idea that prayer didn’t exist before the Temple was destroyed. Only that prayer was all that was left since sacrifices were no longer possible without the Temple and the Levitical priesthood. At least, that’s how I understand it, but then I can’t speak for the original person who wrote/said it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.