Prayer: Being persistent or leaving it in God's hands?

No matter what it is (e.g., conversion, healing), is it better to be persistent in prayer or pray once for it and leave it in God’s hands?

I’ve heard different things, and I don’t know if both are fine. I know God wants us to be prophets, and become saints, so in that case, I think being persistent in prayer is the way to go.

What are your thoughts?

pray and add if it be your will God

The benefit to persistence in prayer is that if we are speaking to God frequently, we build a stronger relationship with God and receive more of His grace.

I think the “just ask once” is more for intentions where thinking about them frequently makes us anxious or we are asking a lot due to lack of confidence in God. I have one or two intentions where I really need to “let go and Let God” and it would not be good for me to pray 5 times a day over those. Better to pray once and leave it in God’s hands. But I can pray 5 times a day for the Poor Souls because I have great confidence God is continuously helping the Poor Souls and my prayers add additional benefits.

Pray - without ceasing ( Paul )

Persistence.

Not sure what you are saying but persistent in prayer and leaving it in God’s hand do not have any differences but one and the same thing. Our prayer is to ask but leave it to God’s will. And we should never stop praying. In fact praying should be a way of our life.

Be persistent!

The Parable of the Persistent Widow. 1* Then he told them a parable about the necessity for them to pray always without becoming weary.a He said, 2“There was a judge in a certain town who neither feared God nor respected any human being. 3And a widow in that town used to come to him and say, ‘Render a just decision for me against my adversary.’ 4For a long time the judge was unwilling, but eventually he thought, ‘While it is true that I neither fear God nor respect any human being, 5* b because this widow keeps bothering me I shall deliver a just decision for her lest she finally come and strike me.’” 6The Lord said, “Pay attention to what the dishonest judge says. 7Will not God then secure the rights of his chosen ones who call out to him day and night? Will he be slow to answer them? 8I tell you, he will see to it that justice is done for them speedily. But when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?”

…or if superstition is starting to creep in (“I’ll just say this novena one more time—God has to answer it then! Or if I don’t say it, all is lost!”)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.