Prayer Chapel Idea - Your Thoughts Please

In our parish, the main part of the church is sometimes not condusive to private prayer. During the day, people are often walking through, the choir could be practicing, someone could be decorating, friends could be chatting, the janitor could be mopping, etc. There are two kneelers before the tabernacle, which is located in a side chapel, but the area is open to the main part of the church and is exposed to the same distractions.

We have a small room that is located close to this side chapel that is mostly used for storage. I'm wondering if we could turn this room into a prayer chapel. It has a door and would be quiet and private. However, I am concerned that it would not be appropriate to choose to pray in this room rather than before the Blessed Sacrament in the Tabernacle. What are your thoughts on this?

A secondary question - Is it permissible to have a second, small taberancle that could be kept in this prayer chapel?

Thanks.

Ask your pastor to set aside a room for Eucharistic adoration. We built a special room for this. It's in front of our gathering space, away from all other activity,but accessible through the first set of doors at all hours of the night when the rest of the building is closed.
Adoration is maybe the most profitable thing our parish has done. Our parish ministries have flourished, and i believe that is partially attributable to prayer in front of the Blessed Sacrament.

[quote="clem456, post:2, topic:289586"]
Ask your pastor to set aside a room for Eucharistic adoration. We built a special room for this. It's in front of our gathering space, away from all other activity,but accessible through the first set of doors at all hours of the night when the rest of the building is closed.
Adoration is maybe the most profitable thing our parish has done. Our parish ministries have flourished, and i believe that is partially attributable to prayer in front of the Blessed Sacrament.

[/quote]

The above seems to be the common pattern I see at Catholic churches.

[quote="clem456, post:2, topic:289586"]
Ask your pastor to set aside a room for Eucharistic adoration.

[/quote]

This was actually my first idea for the storage room. Unfortunately, my parish does not currently offer Eucharistic Adoration. I believe that we would see benefits from it, as you have. I had been thinking about asking if they would consider trying at least a couple of hours a week to see how it goes.

I guess the prayer chapel idea was a starting point, hoping that it would evolve into a place for Eucharist Adoration.

I'm still wondering, though - If we would begin to use the room for periodic Eucharistic Adoration, would it still be appropriate to use the room for prayer at other times as well instead of choosing to pray near the Tabernacle?

Where the blessed sacrament is kept is where you should be since that is where He is.

Maybe a curtain at the entrance could be used to keep out the distractions.
Something in or over the ears would keep out the noise.

Just a thought.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.