Prayer during Communion

I’m happy to say that my parish is part of the Pittsburgh Archeparchy and our pastor uses “handmaiden”. :slight_smile:

I’ve never experienced that either.

Are women not servants of God?
In Church Slavonic language:

If the Theotokos is referred to as handmaid of the Lord, it’s certainly good enough for me (even though I am far from worthy).

I can figure out "Prichashchayetsya rab Bozhii
(N.) …tila i krove Hospoda i Boha i Spasa Isusa Christa vo ostavleniye hrikov i…zhizi vichnoyu
but can’t make out the rest of it. I’ll have to look it up in my Leiturgikon.

Yes, it’s just shorthand for the priest.

The best formulation includes your name; _______ (servant or handmaid) of the Lord receives …

The the rubirc, instructs the priest to say the words that follow to the comminicant.
The communicant is called as “rab Bozhii” - servant of God - and by name.

But that’s not the issue. Yes, they are indeed servants of God. That doesn’t, as @deniseNY points out, mean they should stripped of that special recognition using the words of the Theotokos herself . . .

The word is in the Slavonic is “servant”. That word is used in for men, women, and mixed company in our services. Also in the Magnificat for the Theotokos.

Can you tell me when and where “handmaiden” cropped up?

Mary’s response to the angel telling her about her appointed role.

Sure: in the KJV. But what is the koine or slavonic.
In the liturgy it is servant in the Slavonic.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

which Slavonic. liturgy.

In the US formerly Ruthenian, the English usage at communion was universally “handmaiden” until recently.

And it’s not just the KJV; it’s quite common in catholic English translations of the Bible.

Also, the translation is into English; it should not latch onto the specifics of the Slavonic language.

I choose not to get offended by such a minor detail just before I receive Holy Communion. Just doesn’t seem wise. :thinking:( I am likewise not offended by the concept of Christ loving mankind and actively miss hearing it in the liturgy, even though it has been more than a decade since the new translation came out. I know that it includes me.)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.