Prayer for a doubting monk-priest

Dear all

Thanks for your prayers on various subjects over the last few months: they really work!

Please could you pray for a friend of mine who has been a monk for about 15 years. He was ordained a priest in March but has been having serious doubts about his faith (and indeed The Faith) and has left his monastery and is seriously thinking about coming out of the cloister for good and even applying for laicization.

It is a tragedy potentially for the ministry to “lose” such an intelligent, gifted, young monk-priest, and there will be many people who miss him in his (? former) capacity.

I myself am shocked it has happened, as he seem so Spirit-filled and balanced.

Pray he might recover his sense of vocation and that his doubts in Mother Church might be resolved.

Thank you.

In prayer for this priest

Come, God, I ask Your full attention to this prayer for Your Priests and Religious that rises from my heart and echoes endlessly through my life. Come; respond with deepest nurturing love to the needs of these who dedicate their entire adult lives in service of others for Your sake.

Their Sacramental vocation issues directly from You. They freely give their lives to worship and service. Reward with ever-greater blessings—their worship, their generosity, their kind acts of service, their renewals, and their fidelity. As they persevere in faith and hope, many develop into the kindest and wisest persons.

Regard them compassionately with the human eyes of Your divine Son. Respond to each as to Your beloved Jesus. Be present to them daily throughout the years, for life is long and diverse, with times of hope and fulfilment and times of routine and disappointment.

Observe tenderly! Are there not periods when Priests and Religious may be overwhelmed with discouragement or depression! Are there moments when others’ lack of appreciation hurts them? Are there periods when they may experience boredom in prayer or in the endless demands of their apostolates! Are there days when they may wonder if in their youthful hope and ardour, they threw away their lives for no real purpose; and times when they glimpse sweeter, more fulfilling possibilities reflected from others’ lives? Are there times when they wonder if their prayers, teachings, or efforts, offered sometimes at great cost to self, do actually ignite inspiration or spark progress in the lives of God’s people?

In times of doubt, they may be trapped in the dilemma, “does this God I give my life for truly exist, and as loving God?"…yet there is no certainty or verification either in faith or in unbelief. Have mercy on such barrenness or struggle. Lovingly tend Your chosen ones in these hardships. Lead them to flourish in Your love and grace.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

:gopray:
praying for this monk/priest

Praying very hard about this especially since we already have a shortage of priest.

Our Father, who art in Heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come,
thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us,
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Amen

Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus
Holy Mary, Mother of God
pray for us sinners now
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Praying for this man…

Most sincere prayers promised

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.