Prayer for dysfunctional family

last nite my paternal grand father passed away. me and my dad are named after him, he was named after greatgrandpa. he hand grandma had been divorced since carter was presedent., and he lived with a " girlfriend" al though I think it was a compatability issue than just having a mere gilrfriend. theres major dysfunction in dad’s side of the family siblings not getting along, granpa’s girl friend telling my dad he cant se granpda one more time. grandpa was for the most part a fallen away catholic, but at a funeral a few years ago he prayed the rosary on his own. with lots of things up in the air, and and the possibliity of a family civil war. Im looking for any prayer that things go reasonably well, and for grandpa’s soul. all prayer, and helpful insight is most welcome. thankyou

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandfather. Trust in the Lord’s mercy and be at peace. Do not worry about what “might” happen, focus only on the moment and praying for the repose of your grandfather’s soul. The prayers of a righteous man, God answers. Keep in mind, too, that we are only judged by the “light” we are given during our time here on earth. Your grandfather may not have been fully culpable for his actions if he did not recognize the gravity. Be at peace and know our Lord is a merciful Father who loves his children.

Here is a prayer I found online:
Dear Lord, bless our family. Be so kind as to give us the unity, peace, and mutual love that You found in Your own family in the little town of Nazareth.

Saint Joseph, bless the head of our family. Obtain for him the strength, the wisdom, and the prudence he needs to support and direct those under his care.

Mother Mary, bless the mother of our family. Help her to be pure and kind, gentle and self-sacrificing. For the more she resembles you, the better will our family be.

Lord Jesus, bless the children of our family. Help them to be obedient and devoted to their parents. Make them more and more like You. Let them grow, as You did, in wisdom and age and grace before God and man.

Holy Family of Nazareth, make our family and home more and more like Yours, until we are all one family, happy and at peace in our true home with You. Amen. *

This is a prayer I pray as often as possible, turning to my spiritual mother for help and aid:

*Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known that anyone
who fled to your protection, implored your help,
or sought your intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired with this confidence,
I fly unto you, O virgin of virgins, my mother.
To you I come, before you I stand,
sinful and sorrowful.
O mother of the Word Incarnate!
Despise not my petitions, but in your mercy
hear and answer them. AMEN.

God bless you. I will pray for your family and the soul of your grandfather.

Abby

Yeah, sure. Sounds confusing, but i’ll pray.

May God bless the family and rest his soul. All Families need prayer. I have found that many families have dysfunctional relationships. Many families have members that have not spoken to eachother in years. When Jesus said that he would set family members against themselves because of belief in Him, he was not kidding.

God bless,
Deacon Tony SFO

May I respectfully suggest the chaplet of divine Mercy.

faustina.ch/index_en.htm

There is little you can do on your own, but if you abandon your will to the Lords, miracles can happen.

thankyou all for the prayer and the insight. because of dear hunting season here in michigan and the fact he has been cremated the announcement as to whats going to happen as far as a funeral, or anything else wont be till the 28th. most of his friends dear hunt and would of left on their deer hunting vacations just before the announcement came. hopefully this gives time for chilling out and maybe organize a military funeral(he flew a b25 in wwII), but if it just gives time for the bad influences in my family to fire up Ill be ready for that too. thankyou all for listening.

Praying!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.