Prayer for job situation

I found out on Monday that my sitter will not be able to take our 3rd child. DH and I are beside ourselves trying to consider all the alternatives: find another sitter just for the baby (nobody in town has openings for all 3 of our children), pay for 6 months of sitter’s fees out of our tax return (would blow our savings and budget for the year), me stay at home and become a registered daycare provider (a gamble and overwhelming commitment) . . .

All of this is just welling up in my mind and so, rather hastily, just before lunch, I approached my boss about the possibility of my cutting back to part time just for a year until our oldest is in school. My thoughts were for me to work 7-11 M-F and a full 8 hrs on Saturday and DH could keep the kids at home and then I’d have them the rest of the day while he works till 8 at night (his job is very flexible on hours). Yes, it would be a huge sacrifice and I would lose my ‘years of service’ and PTO and sick time and things of that nature so when I would go back to full time, it would be like being re-hired.

I realize this would all entail sacrifice, but it’s only a year and adjusting to a newborn entails all kinds of sacrifices that we’ve become accustomed to. If we were able to work this schedule, even with a partial cut in my income, we’d still actually be saving money not paying for a sitter - I estimate a $300 monthly savings which could go towards paying off our vehicle and then we’d be out of a car payment as well.

Pray for God’s mercy and wisdom in discerning all of this. I am very skeptical that my employer would allow me to do this, but hopeful that it could work.

Hail Mary, full of Grace.
THe Lord is with you. Blessed are thou among women, and Blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners
Now and at the hour of our death.
Amen

Lord, please move JLCecilia’s boss to agree to hire her part time until her son is old enough to attend school. If that is not your will, Lord, then grant JLCecilia your wisdom to discern how best to support her family while she brings up her baby. You are merciful and just and will help JLCecelia find a way to live in these new circumstances. Grant her peace of mind and support in whatever she decides on as a means of support for her family. Thank you, Lord, for hearing my prayer. Amen.

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen.

I have just been told that I will not be permitted to go part-time. Dear God, please make haste to reveal your plans to us. I just want to cry, I cannot seem to discern your will in all of this. I am feeling the grip slipping on outside influences on my oldest child and just my ability to train him as I see fit - you know my heart’s deepest desire is to be at home w/ my babies. Please God, hear my cry!

Wow! I just received an email from an older friend on my email prayer-chain who says she has been praying for a month about quitting her job and going back to being a daycare provider - she misses the little ones. Please ask God that we could be an answer to one another’s prayers. If she could take all 3 of our boys, what a blessing. Even more, if she could come to our home!

We used to go on breaks together (we work for the same place) and she is such a gentle soul and a good Christian, I would not feel like I’m sending the boys to a stranger.

St. Jude, pray for us!!!

Yet another closed door. My friend I spoke of in my last post discussed things w/ her husband last night and they determined that they could not financially afford for her to quit and stay home with our little guys. She gave me the name of a young woman who actually lives just down the road from us.

I have no other option right now other than to scope it out and hope for the best, but I am becoming increasingly discouraged with each shut door. More and more my longing grows to just keep my little ones at home with me. I was literally sobbing last night and just giving the Lord the disappoinment of the unfulfilled desires of my heart.

God, please give us a clear indication of what to do here for our family.

Praying that He will open some doors for you so that you have a sense of direction …

Hail Mary,
full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen

My DH, I sobbed to him over the phone when I went home for lunch. This lady who had wanted to quit and watch our boys indicated that b/c her husband is retiring next year, just like my own MIL, they are in a position where she MUST work for the health ins. I can’t help but thinking how unfair it is that these men are retiring while their wives are forced to work. I guess if they were afforded the opportunity to stay at home when they were raising their children, it’s a trade-off . . .

DH said he honestly didn’t know what to say to me to put me at ease. Having some feelings of resentment that the entire weight of all of this is solely on my shoulders and he doesn’t seem to share my concerns. I just get so caught up in trying to figure things out that I don’t even stop and think that he really needs to share in the responsibility for all of this. I wish he would step up to the plate and say that he’d take a 2nd job if he had to to make things work for a year, but he barely even keeps up with his first job!

UGH!!!

God’s love is excrutiating right now, I just cannot see His wisdom in all of this. I was grateful enough to get in touch w/ someone today who may be able to keep all 3 of our children together, and there’s more than one adult caring for the kids, so if someone is sick or taking vacation, they have back-up, so DH and I may not have to miss as much work and risk all the write-ups except where we ourselves or our kids are sick.

Been having more and more frequent unpleasant encounters w/ our current sitter which in retrospect seem to be Divine appointments to get me over my reservations about switching daycare providers. I hate for things between us and our current sitter to end this way, but I think it’s just time for us to part ways. She is becoming increasingly shorter with the kids and there may be some issues of frustration for her just not being able to keep up as well as she used to in addition w/ her granddaughter living back with her now.

My previous reservations about this prospective sitter is just that they used to belong to our parish, but left some years ago when her kids were still in school - they made the move to a non-Catholic congregation - from what I hear, the reasons were b/c there were more activities for the kids. Just not sure what to think, but hoping soon to put my fears to rest.

Despite this light at the end of the tunnel, I am struggling. DS#2 has been ill and we’ve racked up some more medical expenses that we’re not sure how we’re going to meet. I kept him home today and will have to keep him home another day until he quits fevering. One concern I have is sending him to the sitter with the way she’s been acting - not sure that she can deal w/ one more thing and the last thing DS needs is someone being short w/ him when he doesn’t feel well. No, DH cannot take a day or a half day or whatever b/c he has no vacation time. So then I’m also having to deal w/ my boss who is not very sympathetic about these things. So, I fully expect that when I go back to work, she will call me to her office and I will be written up.

Just feeling like all of this is so unfair. I NEVER wanted to be a “working mother” and I fully anticipated when I found out I was PG w/ my 3rd child in 3 years that very naturally we would make things work for me to stay at home. No matter how we crunch the numbers or how many luxuries we cut, we can’t seem to come out on top. I know it’s only for a year till DS#1 is in school, but gee whiz, will it ever end? Just feeling like all of this is penance for our sins - for contracepting and living together before marriage; for marrying despite drastically different expectations about very critical subjects. I just can’t see how God would want anything but for my children to be at home with me, esp when we’ve accepted so many little ones in such rapid succession. Have we been totally faithless?

Just feeling so defeated I cannot even find the will to function. And I know at work for sure I have had a bad attitude and will probably be pouting in self-pity when I go back - just do not feel comfortable confiding in ANY of my co-workers. Just feeling so helpless and alone.

Hugs, I feel very much for you and will be praying regarding all this.

Father You have given three children to this couple, who have welcomed them with love.
Please provide for them in their needs.
Mother Mary You couldn’t have borne to be unable to be there for Jesus.
Please pray powerfully and with compassion for this mother and her children, and their Dad.

Angels of this family please seek out and negotiate the necessary solutions.

:grouphug::coffee::coffee:

Oh, my goodness. I am praying for you and your situation. I don’t have these exact issues, but I know what it’s like to feel trapped in a situation due to finances. Sending hugs your way.

Peace,

Francesca

O Lord, Holy Father, omnipotent and eternal God, I give You thanks and I bless Your holy name. I know I’m a poor miserable sinner but hear a cause that is just, pay heed to my cry, turn your ear to my prayer, no deceit is on my lips. Amen

For your intentions

Continued prayers……

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Lord Jesus, hear my prayer, listen to my cry for help. Amen

“If God brings it to you- God will bring you through it.”

Yet another blow. Our prospective new sitter called to say that she’s not working right now - on break till summer, so it’s only the one girl and they don’t have spots for all 3 boys. Was hoping to get my older 2 out of the current situation, but right now it looks like we’re going to have to split them up.

Have a feeling that our plans are all going to be last-minute. Oh well, the way things go, even if I had it all straightened out ahead of time, they would more than likely fall thru anyway and we’d be back to square one.

Mother Mary please implore Your Son for resolution for this. Please ask Him to supply the best solution for care of the children, and for the peace of their parents. Thank you, Mother

I am in full surrender mode right now - we have tried in our finite wisdom to concieve of every possible solution and have come up with nothing. I asked DH’s permission to speak openly with others about our needs and intensions of possibly leaving my current job if I can land a part-time evening job in the next month or so. I have spoken w/ a few co-workers, but only the ones who are not in the same office as me - working up the guts to talk to a co-worker here to ask her if I can use her as a referral when I apply for part-time work. Ideally my current employer would reconsider, but I’m not banking on it.

As it is now, if I’m able to find part-time work while I’m off on maternity leave, I will face having to basically ditch my current job without affording my employer the opportunity to have me train someone to take up my work. I don’t like that idea, it doesn’t seem like the right thing to do, but quite frankly, I’ve got to move on.

I would really like to be able to nail something down within the next month so I can give my sitter her 2 wks notice and start saving some money having my boys at home with me. The savings would be enough to buy me a month. BTW, did I mention that we do not even have a full paycheck in savings? And DH has just recently confessed that he is concerned about his job coming to an end in the the coming months b/c there is either no work or they are losing the client he works for.

DH is freaked out about my making the switch to part-time b/c of his job situation, but I explained that b/c I’m an hourly employee, I cannot possibly make anymore than I’m making now. I figured it up and if I stay full-time and pay 2 sitters for 3 kids, my take-home will be less than a full paycheck and I just cannot see working 160 hrs/mo plus no lunches or breaks for 9+ mo (d/t pumping - we couldn’t afford formula), plus all the hassle of getting around in the morning which I figure to be about 40 hrs/mo all for less than a paycheck!

In order for me to make the switch to part-time evenings, I really need to be able to bring home in 25hrs/wk what my after-sitter take-home would be from my current work. I would really like to get on at Wal-Mart just b/c of the additional bonus of saving 10% on all of our non-grocery items.

I know nothing is impossible for God and his imagination and wisdom is infinitely greater than mine - just get anxious waiting on Him. Please keep up the prayers, really starting to feel the crunch to get things ironed out.

Continuing to pray for your intentions …

Hail Mary
Full of grace
the Lord is with thee
Blessed art thou among women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb
Jesus
Holy Mary
Mother of God
pray for us sinner now
Amen.

I hate to even post b/c it seems the situation changes from one week to the next, but I took my app in to the bank where I used to work and I got a little boost. They’re not hiring right now, but they might be losing a nursing student after the first of the year and looking to fill her position. Not holding my breath, but it was a nice little boost.

And, although DH has mentioned his concern about his job coming to an end in the coming months, just last week they’ve asked for OT. Works out nicely b/c we get paid three times this month, so I may be able to save a little extra and extend my maternity leave.

Again, still just in full surrender mode. The holiday season preparations and prepping for the new baby is giving me enough distraction to take my mind off of things for a bit and just let go. Praise the Lord, b/c baking and arts & crafts is way more fun than fretting!

On a recent shopping trip, DH, all on his own suggested to me that maybe he could stay at home with the boys during the day and work in the evenings and weekends. He asked his boss and was approved to do this. My prayers have changed . . .where I work, I am still considered full time at 32 hours a week, so sometime after the first of the year, I will approach my boss again and ask if I can at least cut back to 32 hrs a week. If I can be home by 3 every afternoon, DH can get to work earlier and get his time in so he doesn't have to totally give up his weekends (he can only work till 10pm during the week).

Please continue to pray with and for me that God will give us wisdom and discernment in all of this. Really, if the bank job pans out and I can work part time there in the mornings, even with the paycut I would much rather change jobs to work fewer hours - really, if I could be home by noon to lay down for naptime, that would be ideal.

Anyway, we got a huge blessing this week. My BIL was able to find us a minivan for not much more than we're paying now. It's a year older than the car we traded in, but it has more bells and whistles than I know what to do with and I could never have asked for such a nice vehicle. God is rarely early, but never late! Thanks be to God for prayers answered. Still cannot believe that all the numbers worked out in our favor - God is really in all of the little details. Read a quote recently that really speaks to my heart (from a book about moms) 'If it's important to you, it's important to Him.'

Thank you for all of the prayers. Still waiting for baby to come, due on Monday, can't wait!!! Praise be to God that the excitement and anticipation of our new little one has helped us to put our worries aside for now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.