Prayer for my 9 yr. old nephew

God bless you, your sister and your family and give you comfort and healing. I ask God to give blessing and healing to this your boy whom you all love so dearly.

Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come. Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen

Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless,
and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible,
look kindly upon us, and increase Your mercy in us,
that in difficult moments we might not despair, nor become despondent,
but with great confidence submit ourselves to Your holy will, which is love and mercy itself

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners,
now, and at the hour of our death. Amen

Our Mother, his guardian angel and patron saints, please pray for Nana’s nephew.

0 Likes

My sister saw the neurosurgeon today. The doctor explained the MRI reports and said that Luis has a cyst in his brain as well as hydrocephalus which has increased CSF. The fluid increase is worse in his left ventricle than his right. The doctor was confused with Luis for the diagnosis for the findings of the MRI did not match Luis. Dandy Walker has mild retardation and Luis does not have that. It usually causes children to be slow learners in school as well and Luis is an A student and very intelligent. It also reflects problems with motor skills and he has no problems there either. The doctor said that Luis’ body some how has compensated and he is not showing the usual symptoms of this kind of problem that the MRI found. With all that said, he also said that Luis’ ventricles were 3 times larger than normal due to the fluid in them. He said that he would be afraid to do surgery at this time in danger of Luis losing his life. He actually did not know what to do and left the room for some time to consult with another doctor. He came back and the two doctors agreed to wait it out and have another MRI in 6 months to see what happens. My sister asked about Luis’ behavior problems for that is the one symptom that is causing him problems in life and in school in particular. At first this doctor said that this finding may cause his behavioral problems, but today he said that it was not and referred my sister to a child psychiatrist. My sister was so confused. She was there at least with another one of my sisters. After they left the appointment and she was on her way back to work, she received a call from the Lifebridge people, the people who first did the original scan and discovered the hydrocephalus to begin with and referred her to the neurosurgeon. She spoke with them for they had not sent their report to the doctor, neurosurgeon, yet and wanted to know when her appointment time was. She told them that she was just coming from there. The nurse told her to hold on for the doctor and the doctor spoke to her and wanted to know what the neurosurgeon said. He was surprised and disagreed with the neurosurgeons. The neurosurgeons agreed that Luis was a “rare case” for he was not normal in that his symptoms did not match the findings. This doctor from Lifebridge said that should have told them a lot there. He said he disagreed that Luis needs to see a psychiatrist for they will put him on medications again. He explained to my sister that Luis had “black spots” in his frontal lobe on the scan which meant he is having seizures. He said they need to find out why. He told my sister to get a second opinion. She said she feels so confused and doesn’t know what to believe. I told her that if that was my child, I would get the second opinion and if the neurosurgeon was not sure on what to do, I would have asked to see the best doctor there who is now teaching. He sees patients rarely, but he will see them if you insist. I told her to insist on seeing him and ask him to read the report from Lifebridge and see if that makes a difference to him and if not, go somewhere else and get a second opinion. If the opinion is the same than it is to dangerous to do surgery and wait and do the MRI in 6 months.

Please continue to pray for healing for this little boy. He continues to suffer from headaches and anger issues and behavioral problems. We don’t know how much is of this brain problem or discipline problem. Thanks so much to all of you who are praying for him. God Bless you for remembering him. For now, no surgery. I don’t know from the two different doctor’s opinion if that is a good or a bad thing.:shrug:

0 Likes

Nana, this all sounds so confusing that your sister and all of you must be utterly exhausted. It sounds so stressful not even to have doctors agreeing as to what’s happening with your nephew. Our God, I beg You to give clarity to this little boy’s problems and help the poor boy to feel happier and more peaceful with the right treatment.

God bless you, your sister and your family and give you comfort and healing. I ask God to give blessing and healing to this your boy whom you all love so dearly.

Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come. Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen

Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless,
and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible,
look kindly upon us, and increase Your mercy in us,
that in difficult moments we might not despair, nor become despondent,
but with great confidence submit ourselves to Your holy will, which is love and mercy itself

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners,
now, and at the hour of our death. Amen

Our Mother, his guardian angel and patron saints, please pray for Nana’s nephew and his mother and family.

0 Likes

Praying for your intensions.

0 Likes

Our Father, Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen.

0 Likes

Still praying very hard for this precious child!

0 Likes

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on Earth, as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

0 Likes

Thank you Trishie for your beautiful words and prayers. Thanks to all of you for your prayers. My sister is going to get a second opinion at Shand’s Children Hospital to see what they say. I will keep you updated. Keep praying. God bless you all.

0 Likes

Have mercy on the young boy Jesus. None of us are at our best when we have headaches and confusuin. This young boy lives with these things every day and consequently is often difficult. Please let his condition be correctly diagnosed so that he can, with Your grace, receive the best and affective treatment.
Have mercy on him and his family, please Jesus

0 Likes

Praying for little Luis and your sister.
Wow this is sooo sad, I have a 9 year old and something like this would break my heart.
Glad your sister is going for a second opinion, sometimes doctors take things lightly and it hard for parents to see their little one in pain.
Will pray that they find out what is causing Luis’ pain and behavior and that this can be resolved soon

0 Likes

Praying for Luis, god bless and keep him safe.

0 Likes

I couldn’t find a patron saint against brain diseases but I did find St. Bartholomew the Apostle and St. Dymphna against nerve diseases so I figured they were similar and I have asked them to pray for your nephew.

0 Likes

Keeping Luis, the doctors and all of you in my prayers.

0 Likes

Thank you all so much for your beautiful prayers and intercessions. May the Lord bless you all for it. Some good news came today. My sister received a call from the neurosurgeon and he read the report from the Lifebridge doctor on how the scan they did shows seizures and how these problems in his brain are causing his behavioral problem. This Lifebridge doctor wrote in his report how stimulants that a psychiatrist may give would and could make this child worse. Anyway, after reading this report, this neurosurgeon called my sister and apologized. He told her not to send her son to a psychiatrist and to make an appointment with a neurologist for the seizures for they need to find out the causes. He still stands by his decision of no surgery for now. He did say that if my nephew continues with headaches and if he gets a severe headache, she is to immediately take him to an ER. I guess that is when they would do the surgery of the shunt. He has had one severe headache already, but we pray he won’t get anymore. Unfortunately, he was accidently hit in the head yesterday by another little boy in Boys Scout. He has a bump today. He is suppose to avoid all head injuries. So now my sister has to monitor for any increase headaches today or tonight. Please keep him in prayers tonight that he doesn’t get any headaches.

Another piece of good news is that the doctor did sign a form for my nephew to be homebound and the county has to pay for a teacher to come out to my sister’s house to teach my nephew. I think he will do much better this way. It is basically homeschooled but by a professional teacher and paid by the county.

He receives his First Communion this Saturday, please pray that he behaves. It is at 11 am Eastern time.

Thanks again for your prayers. I will also ask those saints that someone mentioned too for their intercession.

0 Likes

Father we thank and praise You that there is now more understanding of the loved boy’s problems and needs, and that he is now eligible for home-schooling. Please help further diagnosis and managemnt of his difficulties, and we continue to pray for healing.
Please bless this family.
We thank You, Father

0 Likes

UPDATE:

Thanks for the prayers for Luis and I ask that you please continue
them. Luis saw a neurologist today about the seizures that showed up
on the SPECT scan. The neurologist ordered a 72
hour EEG to be done on Luis and this is done while he is hospitalized
to see if they can catch any seizures on the EEG. He also ordered a
spinal tap under anesthesia so that they can measure the pressure in
his spine with a gauge and this will give them an idea as to the
reason for the pressure in the brain. If the gauge shows a pressure
of 20% or greater, he recommends that a shunt be put in and the brain
surgery be done but if less than 20%, he recommends that things should
be left as is. He did say that he is not a neurosurgeon and did
recommend that second opinion if it would give my sister peace of
mind. He said Shands is great and he also gave her a local doctor as
well if she did not want to go so far. He also ordered blood work for
he said that sometimes thyroid problems can cause behavioral problems
and so he will be checking Luis’ thyroid gland. He did prepare my sister
also in case Luis did need a mood stabilizer, but agreed that right
now is not the time. He does not want Luis on any medication. Luis
continues to suffer with daily headaches due to the increase pressure
in his brain and the doctor was going to prescribe a medication, but
he read the most common side effects and my sister did not like them.
She said she would give him Tylenol and Motrin. She did ask if it was
okay to give him Focalin for he was on that before for ADHD and it
helped him focus for he is not focusing to do his school work. He is
homebound now and a public school teacher comes out to the house and
teaches him at home. The doctor said Focalin would be fine for now.

Luis did receive his First Holy Communion on the 25th of April and of all
days, I was sick. I missed it, my own Godsons’ big day. I did send
my dd to join in on the day.

0 Likes

Continuing to pray for Luis.

0 Likes

Dear Nana3,

I will pray for Luis and for your family.

Sincerely,

Maria1212

0 Likes

Thank you dtiggs and Maria. Luis’ spinal tap will not be under anesthesia now and will be on Friday the 8th of May. Please pray for I have heard they hurt a lot. I don’t know how he will take it and he has to remain very still. He hates needles. But who of us really likes them :blush:. Thanks again for your continued prayers. I hope and pray that with all these test that soon, they will find out how to best treat Luis.

0 Likes

Hi everyone,
Luis had his spinal tap and the pressure gauge was right at 20% so it was borderline. So now they want to wait and see what the EEG will reveal. The EEG is going to be done this week on the 27 and the 28th. My nephew is a little scared about going into the hospital but his mother will be at his side. At least it is non invasive. Please continue to pray for him and that the doctors will decide what is best for him. In the meantime, Luis is having many outburst of anger and is behavior is worse. My poor sister must be given the grace to deal with kid with so much anger. I know I could not. God bless her. Please pray for her too. I know she feels like running and hiding at times. I know she needs a vacation, but she is a single mom and can’t afford it. Her dead beat ex doesn’t pay child support and she won’t enforce it for he has return to his wife and she was the one who abused the kids. For right now, he is not demanding visitation and if my sister takes him to court, he will demand visitation and they will go to her house and he will ruin their minds and body again with verbal and physical abuse. She is a very sick woman. I don’t know what my ex BIL sees in her. He did promise the kids that he would keep them away from her, but he has broken so many promises that they don’t believe him.

I will let you know what the EEG finds out. The neurologist thinks the seizures could be causing the anger outbursts as well. He wants to wait and see this results before putting him on seizure medication.

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.