Prayer for my sister and her husband's conversion

Hi,

So I would like to ask prayers for my sister and her husband who may be converting to an Orthodox Church (my sister a cradle Catholic and her husband a Methodist) that she stay Catholic and raise her children Catholic.

I heard from my father that my sister and her husband don’t like it when my parents say prayers with my niece who is two who now makes the sign of the Cross and says Amen.

I know that my brother in law is interested in converting to the Orthodox church and has been going to a Greek Orthodox Church and I know they have dinner with the priest from the Orthodox Church, but I am not really sure as to where my sister stands in her faith.

My niece was baptized in the Catholic Church and I am her God mother…so I am not totally sure what to do…other than pray.

Praying for your intentions.

Praying.

Praying that the Lord may guide your sister and her husband in this matter.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen

Our Father who art in heaven
Hallowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
Amen

God bless and praying for you and your Sister and Brother in law.

Praying for your sister and husband and child, that they may return to the Catholic Church.

***Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death
Amen.

:crossrc:***

Praying hard.

Our Father, Who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy will be done on earth,
As it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
Amen. :signofcross:

Hail Mary full of Grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed are thou among women
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb Jesus.
Holy Mary Mother of God,
pray for us sinners
now and at the hour of our death
Amen. :signofcross:

Gracious and merciful Father, please come to their assistance.

Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen.

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

I was a “cradle Catholic” who at one point came close to leaving for the East. After I concluded that Protestantism was sham Christianity, I was left with the Apostolic Churches, such as the Catholic, Orthodox, Coptic, Syrian, etc. Eventually I came to the choice between Catholic or Orthodox.

The greatest appeal of Orthodoxy is simply that it is an Apostolic Church that is not Catholicism. Everyone in the west hates Catholicism. Let’s be honest, popularly, Catholics come off as legalistic and monarchal (the Pope looks like our king! Americans hate monarchy). Not only does Eastern Christianity appear more democratic (their Bishops seem like they act as a confederacy) and therapeutic (moderns love to psychologize everything), but the East looks more mystical and spiritual (with meditation techniques like those of pop Buddhism and New Ageism). Orthodoxy is exotic to westerners, while Catholicism is still “the whore of Babylon” to many. Only recently has Orthodoxy even come on their radar!

The key is to make your sister view the Catholic Church in another light. Otherwise, she might buy some of the Orthodox rhetoric and literally hate Catholics’ guts.

What got me back on track was actually Catholic Forums. I HIGHLY recommend searching for “Mardukm” and “Ghosty,” especially Mardukm’s posts on the “high petrine” position regarding papal infallibility. Their posts helped me better understand the actual Catholic positions (on purgatory, indulgences, the Marian doctrines, Papal supremacy, Original sin, etc. Again, search them on these topics!), and why the Orthodox position is actual incoherent regarding Ecumenical Councils.

Mysticism is not foreign to the Latin tradition. I would recommend St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross. The Rosary is basically the Catholic meditation (one can also pray the Jesus Prayer as a Catholic. In fact, it is encouraged!).

You might also want to steer your loved ones to an Eastern Catholic parish. They are basically Orthodox in Communion with Rome. Orthodox basically believe (or can believe) the same things Catholics do. We disagree mostly on the position of the Pope in Rome. Most of the disagreements reduce to semantics (this applies to all the disagreements between the Apostolic Churches, IMO).

Here are some articles that might better inform you (and you can send them to your loved ones):

jimmyakin.com/why-i-am-not-eastern-orthodox

catholic.com/magazine/articles/why-i-didn%E2%80%99t-convert-to-eastern-orthodoxy

ebougis.wordpress.com/my-eastern-papist-florilegium/

The last person actually found a whole bunch of writings of the Church Fathers concerning Rome and Papal supremacy.

Ultimately, prayer is the ultimate solution to any problem, though. You are on my intentions list. Praying…

Christi pax,

Lucretius

:signofcross: Heavenly Father, we pray for this family; surround them with discernment, call them closer to you; guide them on Your path and give peace to this situation.

Thank you all for your prayers and info about the Orthodox Church it helps…actually if you could include me in your prayers that would be great…because I found out that she already converted. I feel sad about it and a little bit deceived in that they (my sister and her husband) always made it sound like it was my brother in law who was looking into the Orthodox Church not them as the whole family that was converting.

My mother told me she said she didn’t say anything because we would try to convert her back and that we didn’t trust her to choose her own religion. I also feel angry at my brother in law who I just feel is like most Protestants trying to convert people to their church.

I am trying to figure out what is the holy/right reaction to all of this is.

I would say it’s over, it’s a non-issue. Keeping all of you in prayer. God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.