Prayer for peace?

Greetings,

So I was at Mass a last week and invited a friend who is a non-Catholic Christian. He skimmed through the bulletin afterwards and noticed that somewhere it mentioned to “pray for peace.” He then asked me why on earth we would pray for peace, "we will never truly see peace until we are in Heaven! Where in the Bible does it say anything about peace? There will be war and rumors of war (I assume he speaks of the “end times) . . .”

Ok, I agree with him to an extent. There will always be wars, some governments will oppress its citizens, and there will always be famine, etc. However, to say that praying for peace does not benefit makes not sense to me.

So, can anyone offer me some help on how to answer my friends complaint about “praying for peace?” Does the Church have an opinion on this? What does Scripture or Tradition say?

Thanks and God bless,
ZP

Your friend is very cynical! But protestants don’t really like to pray for each other’s good… at least when saints and the souls of the dead are concerned. You’d have to convice your friend of praying for each other’s well being… Here’s a few verses, not sure how good they are since it’s just from a little paper I have:
1 Tim 2:1-7
Rom 15:30
Col 4:3
1Thess 5:25
2 Th 1:11, 3:1
I believe these are biblical quotes dealing with people praying for each other. Praying for peace is praying for peoples’ well being.

I wouldn’t go for Church councils, or Early Church Fathers, you’d probably get an earful about how they’re unreliable.:rolleyes:

BTW the paper I’m getting this from is called the Catholic verse finder, compiled by the San Juan Catholic seminary. Wonderful scriptural and early church support for all things Catholic:D All in miniature print on the front and back of one sheet of paper! (ugh now I sound like a saleslady. I’ll just stop typing now)

The Lord taught us to pray that God’s will be done on earth as it is in Heaven - another thing that will never happen perfectly before Judgement Day. So there is good precedent for praying for an ideal.

Thanks all

This morning I woke up with a knot in my stomach and said Oh Lord, I’ve been turning off my phone trying to avoid creditors, cause I’m at the point where I don’t know what to do. I know it’s wrong and I lied to 2 of them in order to buy myself more time. I feel so badly and I know it was wrong. I pray that the Lord will give me wisdom and strengthen me at this time, cause I feel like I’m at my ropes end. I thank you for your prayer as it brought tears to my eyes.

• God bless on this earth.

There are several kinds of Peace.

Peace the lack of active armed conflict. a good thing to pray for since lives & property will be spared. Much agony & suffering will also cease.

The Peace of Fear - a lack of armed conflict, where people do not rise up or speak out against Injustice and other heinous acts due to the Power & Ruthlessness of a Tyrannical ruler.(ie: slavery) not a real good type of peace.

The Peace that you find in the security of your or his family or fellowship.

Peace of Mind, the comfort & reassurance that we can experience.

Peace of Heart knowing that LOVE is pure & reciprocated.

Peace that God gives us.

The Peace of Unity. found within the Family,Church, God.

This is by no means a complete or thorough list so feel free to add on.

Peace is Always something to Pray for. Especially that “Thy Kingdom Come, Thy Will be done, On Earth as it is in Heaven…”

As Catholics we pray for Peace. We Pray for God’s will.

Lastly, remind the fellow that he is currently enjoying the fruits of Peace. That he should Pray for a continuance of the Peace that he and his family are currently Blessed with. If only for the selfish reason as to prevent evil & hardship from befalling him and his family.

yours in Christ

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.