Prayer for strength to leave my live-in boyfriend

Hello all,

(Please pardon any grammar/spelling errors - I am sobbing as I write this)

I have just recently been brought back to my faith, and I am looking to be confirmed in the Catholic church. I feel a connection to God there that I have never felt before (or, at least, haven’t felt in a long time).

Unfortunately, my boyfriend of a little over two years doesn’t really understand this. We started our relationship, and moved in together, when I had lost my faith. When I told him that I had attended a Catholic Mass, he told me that he would “never date a Catholic girl.” He only attended my former (Episcopal) church when I had a solo in the choir. While he said that he might attend a Unitarian Universalist church, he said he felt uncomfortable at my former place of worship. When I told him (recently) that I really wanted to get married in a church, he said that he wouldn’t want to do that because it would feel fabricated to him.

I feel a tugging at my heart to break up with him and move out when legally and financially possible. I know that living the way I am is against God’s will… but I really do love this man, and he really is a wonderful boyfriend and person. While we are comfortable in our relationship right now, though, I can see our faith differences leading to problems down the road, especially if we were to get married and have children (which was our plan).

Pray for me, my brothers and sisters in Christ, that I may have the strength to leave him and do God’s will. I feel very emotionally weak right now.

Praying for you from today’s Liturgy of the Hours:

From Psalm 51

I call with all my heart; Lord, hear me,
I will keep your statutes.
I call upon you, save me
and I will do your will.

May the Lord bless us,
protect us from all evil and bring us to everlasting life.
– Amen.

What about cooling off and letting things settle down?
You cannot decide things so fast…
Do you know what dialogue is? It is discussion, think things over, discussion, digest what the other said, discussion, change again, discussion, absorb what the other meant, change…
You cannot decide based on the first impression…

I agree that it’s impossible to decide much of anything based on the first impression - but this is not the first impression. If anything, this is a series of impressions that have occurred over the past two years. I’ve felt a tugging at my heart for awhile about this, particularly over the past few months as I’ve grown more serious in my faith. Forgive me if I made it sound like this all culminated in one incident or one discussion, since it certainly didn’t. Thank you for your input, though!

[SIGN]Welcome Home![/SIGN]

Praying for you! Try to operate out of God’s strength, not your own emotions. Read the Bible, pray, go to Mass, go to confession, and adoration. I am sure your pull is toward the Body of Christ, which you cannot receive in your current state. Be strong! Remember that God is calling you home! He will make a way for you.

If you take nothing else from the responses that you receive to this post, take the above statement from Juliane. There is nothing more true than that. When God wants to lead you back, he WILL show you the path.
Praying for you and…
Welcome home!! :thumbsup:

Thank you so much, TheRealJuliane! I needed to hear that!

Thank you! :slight_smile:

I believe as you spend time with the word of God and prayer, attend Mass, your mind will more and more conform to the way that Christ thinks and old ways of thinking will be less and less. As this goes on, his (boyfriend’s) ways of thinking and yours will be farther and farther apart. May Christ continue to grow in you and bring you into holiness. He will be your strength.

Although in your present situation you cannot receive the Eucharist, you can make a spiritual communion when the others go up. I don’t have one handy but maybe someone can post one or two for you. Ask God for help and He will be happy to help you come closer to Him.

My boyfriend and I dated for 5 yrs and when I came into the Church, our relationship fell apart. He was not impressed and he was raised Catholic and went to Catholic schools for 9 yrs. My unbelieving self was more appealing than with my new found faith. It was very difficult to have that relationship fall apart but I know now that someone without faith wouldn’t even get a ‘cup of coffee date’ with me now. Men of faith are awesome! I am grateful to be married to a good Catholic man and so glad I wasn’t married to the other guy when I came into the Church. Saved me years of grief. (As a side note, he got married and became involved with a women at work, left his wife. They were only married 5 yrs. I found this out from our mutual friends who thought I would want to know. So glad that wasn’t me, moved away from family and friends and then left stranded. Thank you God for Your kindness, although at the time it was very difficult.)

Thank you so much for your encouraging words and for sharing your story with me - it’s good to know that I am not alone, and that there are others who have made this difficult decision before me. It really helps me put things in perspective! May God’s peace be with you!

:gopray2:

May the Holy Family of Nazareth bless you, guide you, and bring you home to the one true God.

May the Passion of Christ strengthen you.

May the Divine Mercy of Jesus be your sure refuge.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,…

Dear " iseekanswers",

Your next to the last paragraph says it all! It may seem heartbreaking to you now, but the future can be much more heartbreaking unless he too seeks the will of God as you have.

Keep praying and going to Mass.

I will pray for you right now, asking the Lord to light the way for you to leave!

Peace in Jesus and Mary,

Dorothy

My prayers will be with you.

My dear sister in Christ,

What you KNOW is right is the Holy Spirit’s leading…I will pray for you to have the strength. If he is God’s choice for you he will join you in faith, if not, it is eternally by far better all though you may not “feel” that now. Trust in Your Creator the one you please and love for all eternity, not just the present. I know you don’t know me, but please, please TRUST in HIM who is so much stronger and loves you sooooo much more than you could ever realize right now.

My prayers,
mlz

Private email me if you need to. I’m praying.

Thank you so much for your words and prayers, mlz! They were, and are, much needed!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.