Prayer for the Dead in Haiti

Assuming souls of the thousands that died in Haiti may be in purgatory let us pray a special intention for their souls who passed. It is an act of Mercy to pray for the living and dead and Jesus by way of Sr. Faustina’s revelations says that basically we’re better off showing mercy to others on the day of judgement than not. I mean I see it as discipline cause we’re human and we tend to think of the self quite often.

Well here’s a link I suggest if you want to pray for the dead
medjugorjeusa.org/purgatoryroom.htm

Its actually quite simple you can offer a rosary for the souls in purgatory. Not only for souls recently deceased from Haiti. I offer God for those closest to Heaven, those whom no one else prays for, and for those who recently passed away by the catastrophe in Haiti.

Mary says on the link above as quoted that the least we can do is pray 7 Our Fathers, 7 Hail Mary’s, 7 Glory Be’s, and the Apostles Creed.

I have said some prayers and I was hoping to send this great idea out there. I know prayers are being said for the people in Haiti, but I wonder if the dead have been forgotten. So let us not forget their souls who are dear to God’s heart.

T.

May they rest in peace and God comfort their loved ones.

Amen. Praying for them daily.

I will add the prayers for the repose of these souls to the chaplet of Divine Mercy …

Praying for the souls of the dead.

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

A Prayer for Victims of the Earthquake

We mourn the death and destruction in Haiti, O Lord,
And we pray for those who died in this recent disaster.
May their souls rest in peace.
May their families be comforted.

We pray for the living survivors.
Be with them, Lord, in this traumatic time.
May they experience Your healing,
In their spirits as well as their bodies.

We pray for the communities affected.
May they come together in solidarity
To rebuild and to affirm new life
Amen

O God our Father,
Creator of all the living, we entrust to Your gentle care all those we love who have gone before us;
and have gone to their rest in the hope of rising again.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord,
and let perpetual light shine upon them. Amen.

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen.

Amen

A K A T H I S T
for the R E P O S E
of Those Who have FALLEN ASLEEP

IKOS 2
[LEFT]
Saint Isaac the Syrian once said: “A merciful heart is one that burns with love for men and animals and for the whole of creation, and at all times offers prayers with tears that they may be purified and kept.” Likewise we all boldly ask the Lord for help for all the dead from the beginning of time and cry: Send down to us, O Lord, the gift of fervent prayer for the dead. Remember, O Lord, all who have charged us, unworthy as we are, to pray for them, and pardon the sins they have forgotten. Remember, O Lord, all who have been buried without prayer. Receive, O Lord, into Thy dwellings all who have died of sorrow or joy by a sudden or untimely death. O Lord of unutterable Love, remember Thy servants who have fallen asleep.

KONTAKION 4

[LEFT] Save, O Lord, those who have died in grievous sufferings, those who were murdered, those buried alive, those who were drowned or burned, those who were torn by wild beasts, those who died of hunger or cold, from exposure in storms, or by falling from heights, and grant them all eternal joy for the sorrow of their death… May the time of their suffering be blessed as a day of redemption, for which they sing: ALLELUIA.

[/LEFT]
IKOS 11

[LEFT] The dead will rise and those who are in the graves will stand up, and those who are alive on earth will exult when they stand with their spiritual bodies, radiantly glorious and incorrupt. Dry bones, hear the word of the Lord: “I will bring upon you a spirit of life, and will lay sinews upon you; and I will bring flesh upon you, and cover you with skin.” Rise out of the ancient past, you who are redeemed by the Blood of the Son of God, restored to life by His death, for the light of the Resurrection has dawned upon you. Open to them now, O Lord, the whole abyss of Thy perfections. Thou hast shone upon them with the light of the sun and moon, that they may see the glory of the radiant choirs of Angels, Thou hast delighted them with the magnificence of the heavenly lights of East and West, that they may also see the never-setting light of Thy Divinity.
[FONT=Times New Roman]O Lord of unutterable Love, remember Thy servants who have fallen asleep.
[/FONT]
users.sisqtel.net/williams/akathist-repose.html

The Akathist for the repose of the Souls of those who have fallen asleep is a very L-O-N-G Prayer. I advise you to try to have a prayer partner pray it with you, and to pray it antiphonally like a Psalm. One of the Orthodox brothers sent this to me after Terri Schiavo died. I’ve prayed the Akathist in situations such as this since then, and have been grateful to him for sending me this ancient prayer.

Your Brother & Servant in Christ, Michael[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Thanks everyone for helping by responding. Its interesting that there are prayer warriors that are responding :slight_smile:

Dear Heavenly Father I pray that in this difficult time for Haitians, that there be peace, safety, and unity. I pray that the souls who have left their earthly bodies may find peace and comfort in your love for eternity. That they may embrace your love. That they may be saved by the power of Jesus Christ. I also pray that their loved ones find comfort for an after life by means of unity of the family and loved ones and by means of support through scripture, Church, and song. May their faith grow through these difficult circumstances. Amen.

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come;
thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
world without end.
Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven hallowed by thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us and lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with you, blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit by thy womb Jesus. Holy Mary Mother of God pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be world without end. Amen.

I believe in God, the Father Almighty Creator of Heaven and earth and in Jesus Christ His only Son our Lord who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into Hell. On the third day he rose from the dead. He ascended into Heaven and is seated at the right hand of God Almighty from thence he shall judge the living and the dead and his kingdom shall have no end. Amen.

Amen

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come;
thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
world without end.
Amen.

Amen

and let perpetual light shine upon them.
Amen.

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen.

My heart just aches when I see and hear of the horrors going on in Haiti right now from the earthquake. Prayers for souls who have gone to rest, and for all who are suffering from their losses of loved ones, and injuries. Prayers that they will cling to Christ during their time of need, and that the world will continue its outpouring of money and resources to help rebuild Haiti. :gopray:

Amen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.