Prayer for the Holy Souls in Purgatory and Mortal sin

Can someone say the St.Gertrude Prayer (to help release 1,000 souls out of Purgatory) in Mortal sin or any prayer for them. Also please pray for me that I can got to confession soon and stop with this Mortal Sin.

BUMP!

Every prayer for the holy souls in Purgatory has an element of good to it because it is an act of charity towards them.

I wonder if the question is not so much whether one in a state of mortal sin may pray for them , as it is a question of how effective our prayers will be for the holy souls when or if we are in a state of serious sin ?

Sin wounds our relationship with God and with others. It also disturbs the peace which God wishes us to have and keep in our souls. Sin creates obstacles then, which can impede the force of our prayers. This is one area where the devil tries to wear us down - trying to discourage us to the point where we give up praying altogether.

Being in a state of grace, OTOH and working/struggling to remain there, amplifies the power of our prayers.

All of the aforementioned can be held up to the light of our Blessed Lord’s own words to St. Faustina Kowalska :

Let no soul fear to draw near to Me, even though its sins be as scarlet. My mercy is so great that no mind, be it of man or of angel, will be able to fathom it throughout all eternity.” (Diary of St. Faustina, 699).

That should be an indicator to us that our prayers will always be worth something. During those times where I wished to pray for the holy souls but had this particularly persistent sin on my soul, I would sometimes ask our Lord if my prayers - imperfect as they were, could help a soul(s) in Purgatory who had struggled with the same, or a similar sin during their earthly life.

The Hail Mary is a failsafe prayer for situations where we might be starting to believe that sin is gaining the upper hand. We can approach the petition part of the Hail Mary very personally -fully acknowledging our sinfulness, and asking our Blessed mother to pray for us “now” : It’s designed with us sinners in mind- and the appeal goes out to the heart of the Mother of God who loves each of us as her own child.

“Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now , and at the hour of our death.”

AMEN

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.