Prayer for those who are in the way of Hurricane Gustav

Let us raise our prayers in unity for those who are in harm’s way with Hurricane Gustav quickly approaching the Gulf Coast. Let us also pray for it’s victims already in Haiti and the other Carribean Islands. Lord, please spare them. Blessed Mother guide all to safety under your sheltering care.

Father please bring assistance to those already affected by the hurricane in Haiti and the other Carribean Islands. Father, please spare those still in its path. I ask in Jesus’ name.

“Blessed Mother guide all to safety under your sheltering care.”

A prayer for hurricane season - written by the bishop of Lafayette after Hurricane Audrey in the 1950’s:

Prayer for Safety in Hurricane Season
O God, Master of this passing world,
hear the humble voices of your children.
The Sea of Galilee obeyed Your order
and returned to its former quietude.
You are still the Master of land and sea.
We live in the shadow of a danger over which we have no control:
the Gulf, like a provoked and angry giant,
can awake from its seeming lethargy,
overstep its conventional boundaries,
invade our land,
and spread chaos and disaster.

During this hurricane season we turn to You, O loving Father.
Spare us from past tragedies whose memories are still so vivid
and whose wounds seem to refuse to heal with passing of time.

O Virgin, Star of the Sea, Our beloved Mother,
we ask you to plead with your Son in our behalf,
so that spared from the calamities common to this area
and animated with a true spirit of gratitude,
we will walk in the footsteps of your Divine Son
to reach the heavenly Jerusalem
where a stormless eternity awaits us.
Amen.

Praying for all in the path of this and other storms this week.

:amen:

Thank you for providing this amazing and poignant prayer. I will continue to use it until all are safe.

:amen:

Heavenly Father, send Your Angels ahead of the winds to minister to and shield those in harm’s way from the power of the storm. May the command of our Lord Jesus calm the winds before they can cause harm. Grant that those who are affected will take action both in prayer and in measures to ensure the safety of those around them. We Invoke the Precious Name of Mary as a shroud of loving safety around those in the path of the storm. Inspire those in positions of public trust to effectively perform their duties, with the protection of human life in the highest priority. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son, Who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, One God for ever and ever. Amen! Alleluia!

Amen!!

For all our brothers and sisters in Cuba, who are under its’ forceful winds right now, and some of these people live in huts, wood humble houses and deteriorated buildings in Havana. I grew up around many Cubans, I love these humble family oriented people, and right now my heart goes out to them.

“Remember. O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help or sought your intercession was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To you do I come; before you I stand, sinful and sorowful. O mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in your mercy, hear and answer me. Amen”

REPEATING THE 500 PM EDT POSITION…22.1 N…82.9 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD…NORTHWEST NEAR 15 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS…150 MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE…942 MB.

Once the winds exceed 155 Gustav will be cat. 5 hurricane. As a weather enthusiast I know that a ridge of high pressure located over the above the Ohio valley should hopefully cause Gustav to turn to a north west direction once it is well into to the gulf. If the ridge becomes slightly stronger it could steer Gustav west of New Orleans. As we speak meteorologists are making multi-million dollar decision on which oil rigs to close and which areas need to be evacuated along the coast. Professional forecasters like these also need to be in our prayers as well.

Lord we ask you to spare the areas of greatest vulnerability and give aid to those that are affected by power of Mother Nature. Grant that forecasters from afar will be able to make the most accurate predictions and allow for those with greatest disability get the help they need in escaping the danger that is coming to their homes. Amen.

We are watching the weather very closely here. Thank you all for your prayers, I think that we will be fine but as we all know it is in God’s hands. We must encourage our neighbors to be prepared to depart our homes if the government calls us to, like we are to encourage each other to be prepared now for God’s call home.

Lifting all my neighbors on the Gulf Coast up in prayer.

God Bless!

Remeber, o most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, sought thy help, or asked thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, I fly unto thee, o Virgin of Virgins, my Mother. To thee I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petition, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

Meteorologists in Cuba have reported wind gusts of up to 204. I was on vacation in Puerto Rico, when Hugo came through as a cat. 3 and the devastation I saw the next day, to this day, seems unreal to me. So I can’t even imagine a high cat. 4, like Cuba just had :confused: . I live in Florida, so I was here for hurricane Charlie and his following friends, and none of them were anything near what this thing is, and still the neighborhoods were trashed. So we really have to pray to the Good Lord, our Holy Mother Mary and the guardian angels for their loving protection, on this one and that Hannah does not strengthen.
Lord Father I trust in You!

I am in Louisiana and I want to thank everyone for the prayers and please keep them up!!! I think there are two threads going for protection from the hurricanes. Thanks so much!!!

Dear Lord, please protect all those in the storm’s path, especially those who are in most need of thy care.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor, O Virgin, Star of the Sea, pray for us.

I add my prayers to yours.

Just offered my Sunday Mass for those in the path of the hurricanes, and will offer tomorrow’s daily mass for y’all too.

http://www.wf-f.org/WFFResource/OurLadyPromptSuccor.jpg

Lord, have mercy on us.
Christ, have mercy on us.
Lord, have mercy on us.
Christ, hear us.
Christ, graciously hear us.
God the Father of Heaven, have mercy on us.
God the Son, Redeemer of the world, have mercy on us.
Holy Trinity, one God, have mercy on us.
Holy Mary, pray for us.
Mother of the Infant Jesus, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor of all who invoke you with confidence, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor of all who are devout toward the Infant Jesus, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor for obtaining a lively faith, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor for sustaining the hope of Christians, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor for obtaining and persevering in charity, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor for observing the law of God, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor for observing perseverance in virtue and good works, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor in every spiritual necessity, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor against the revolt of self-will, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor in the occasion of sin, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor in every temptation, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor against the evil spirit, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor for obtaining contrition, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor of those wishing to re-enter the path of salvation, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor for the conversion of sinners, pray for us.

Our Lady of Prompt Succor in every temporal necessity, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor in every affliction, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor of afflicted families, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor of the sick and the poor, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor against contagious diseases and epidemics, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor in every accident, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor against destruction by fire, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor against lightning and tempest, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor against destruction by flood, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor of travelers, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor of navigators, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor of the shipwrecked, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor against the enemies of our country, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor in time of war, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor of those aspiring to the holy priesthood and the religious life, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor of laborers in the Lord’s vineyard, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor of missionaries who spread the faith, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor of our Holy Father the Pope, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor for those searching for the faith, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor against the enemies of the Church, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor at the hour of death, pray for us.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor for the deliverance of the souls in purgatory, pray for us.
Lamb of God, Who takes away the sins of the world, spare us, O Lord.
Lamb of God, Who takes away the sins of the world, graciously hear us, O Lord.
Lamb of God, Who takes away the sins of the world, have mercy on us.
V: Our Lady of Prompt Succor, pray for us.
R: That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
O Almighty and Eternal God, Who sees us surrounded by so many dangers and miseries, grant in Your infinite goodness that the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of Your Divine Son, may defend us from the evil spirit and protect us against all adversities, that always and with prompt succor she may deliver us from every evil of soul and body, and safely guide us to the kingdom of heaven, through the merits of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son, Who lives and reigns with You in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, world without end. Amen.
Contemplation:
If our eyes are always on heaven and God, at the end of life we will find ourselves in His Presence.

Our deacon included prayers for those in the path of Hurricane Gustav at our Sunday mass today.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.