Prayer for those who feel alone and abandoned

I found this beautiful prayer written by a Franciscan

January 18, 2009

A Prayer

Lord, my whole being longs for You. My mind desires Your peace, my heart desires the warmth of Your presence and my body aches for Your nearness and the intimacy that lovers share. But Lord, prayer has become so difficult. Silence seems so empty, words seem so dull and my mind seems distracted by many things. Yet more than anything my heart feels weighed down by fears, doubts and anxieties. I feel, Lord, as if You have left me and I am now all alone in this world, a stranger in a place I once called home.

Lord, I long for prayer, silence and solitude where I can just be alone with You. I feel tired with everything right now and need to rest in You. The more I try and pray the more it seems like I am not praying. The more I try to seek You, Lord, the more You seem to go away from me. Lord, I want to live in Your light but my feet seem paralyzed and unable to move towards You. Please Lord, draw me more deeply into that light, into that ocean of peace that is Your heart. I long for the time where I can just rest in You, when all of my doubts and fears will be silenced and I can just sleep in Your arms like a child with his mother.

Yet I must believe that I already possess that intimacy with You, even though I feel like I am in darkness. I choose to believe that You are not far away. I believe that You are close, too close even for my senses to perceive You. Please Lord, do not allow the darkness to overcome me. Without Your grace I cannot face it, but with Your grace I can rest in it and even say, “this too shall pass.”

Where could I go anyway if You were not here. I could not find You on my own nor could I discover something more profound or more beautiful than You. Lord, I could not discover You without You because You have discovered me, You have found me, You have revealed Yourself to me!

Yet so many people have come and gone in my life. So many friends have captured my heart and then have moved on, taking my heart with them. Lord, I can’t help but fear that You too will leave someday? My heart trembles at the thought of another separation. I know it is silly to compare You with people and to even doubt Your commitment to me is a sign that I do not understand Your love for me.

Despite all my confusion I can hear Your whisperings in my heart telling me that I am loved and that You will never abandon me. My God, I trust You with the little strength and energy I feel that I have. Thank You, Lord, for being faithful; please, in Your mercy grant me the grace to be faithful to You.

Br. Jeremiah Myriam Shryock, CFR

Pray for all those who feel abandoned and alone and desire God’s love.

Praying.

Amen!
And thank you for sharing this prayer.:slight_smile:
Lord please bless Donkey. and the prayer’s author.

Be their friend and companion, Jesus
Help them to cultivate confidence and a good self-image based on the amazing love You have for them
and please lead them to those who will bless their lives as mutual friends.
Thank You, Jesus.

Amen…

Yes, there are many out here who are abandoned and alone. I pray for them,- and for myself- that I might not be too quick to judge nor too busy to notice them. I ask God to help me be His presence to them whenever it is possible.

Remember O most gracious Virgin Mary that never was it known, that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee O Virgin of Virgins my Mother, to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate despise not my petition, but in thy mercy hear and answer me.

For those who feel lonely and abandoned

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

Thank you for sharing that … beautiful.

I will join you in prayer for all souls who are lonely and feel abandoned.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.

Loneliness and relationship

Jesus, Scripture tells us, “It is not good that man should be alone.” [Genesis 2:8] Yet loneliness affects many people even in company because they feel unable to trust in their value to others. They often feel rejected and unloved, and have little self-esteem.

Jesus, we humans hope for companionship that is reciprocal and happy, with love that affirms our individuality and value. We seek in others the gift of ourselves forgiven and accepted in all our faults. We also secretly desire others’ recognition of our hidden beauty. We cannot receive such a gift unless we can also give to others the gift of themselves accepted by love that is aware, not blind.

Express Your love in our relationships as we seek to live in gospel community, not as isolated individuals. For only where individuals and communities are willing to love and to minister to others, do we find in each other the nourishing power of Christ’s presence.

Therefore, let the lonely and hurt understand their need to welcome others in charity in however small or great means open to them, rather than to remain trapped in isolation or self-pity. However if they remain isolated, we offer You their pain, united with the atoning loneliness of Your own earthly exile in reparation for all sins against compassion, against friendship, justice and unity.

Jesus let us gently bring Your love to the lonely, to all persons who hunger for love and companionship. “God gives the lonely a permanent home.” [Psalm 68:6]

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen.

This is a beautiful prayer. Thank you for sharing it!

I was especially moved by this part:

Yet so many people have come and gone in my life. So many friends have captured my heart and then have moved on, taking my heart with them. Lord, I can’t help but fear that You too will leave someday?

I am reminded of the devotion to the Sacred Heart, which I think can bring a great solace to those suffering abandonment or unrequited love. Unrequited love, of any kind, is such a source of sadness for so many people…when friends “capture our hearts” and then move on, leaving us behind…and yet I think many people, especially in religious circles, are silent about their experiences of this, because it seems to be a sign of weakness or of attachment to earthly things.

It may help to think of Jesus, who loved the world so much, and the world responded by killing Him. Still, He never ceased loving them and suffering patiently for them, and He gives us His Sacred Heart. Jesus’s love is an unrequited love! This is what I think of when I read this prayer: the Brother fears that people, even God, will abandon him, yet perhaps in the midst of this fear he can know some solidarity with the Sacred Heart of Christ, who must have been saddened by similar feelings on the Cross.

Peace,
+AMDG+

Jesus, Scripture tells us, “It is not good that man should be alone.” [Genesis 2:8] Yet loneliness affects many people even in company because they feel unable to trust in their value to others. They often feel rejected and unloved, and have little self-esteem.

Jesus, we humans hope for companionship that is reciprocal and happy, with love that affirms our individuality and value. We seek in others the gift of ourselves forgiven and accepted in all our faults. We also secretly desire others’ recognition of our hidden beauty. We cannot receive such a gift unless we can also give to others the gift of themselves accepted by love that is aware, not blind.

Express Your love in our relationships as we seek to live in gospel community, not as isolated individuals. For only where individuals and communities are willing to love and to minister to others, do we find in each other the nourishing power of Christ’s presence.

Therefore, let the lonely and hurt understand their need to welcome others in charity in however small or great means open to them, rather than to remain trapped in isolation or self-pity. However if they remain isolated, we offer You their pain, united with the atoning loneliness of Your own earthly exile in reparation for all sins against compassion, against friendship, justice and unity.

Jesus let us gently bring Your love to the lonely, to all persons who hunger for love and companionship. “God gives the lonely a permanent home.” [Psalm 68:6]

Amen

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen.

O Lady of Mental Peace, Mother of Tranquility and Mother of Hope, look upon me in this my time of weakness and unrest. Teach my searching heart to know that God’s love for me is unchanging and unchangeable; and, that true human love can only begin and grow by touching His love. Let your gentle peace, which this world cannot give, be always with me, and help me to bring this same peace into the lives of others. Our Lady of Mental Peace, pray for me!

Praying for those who are alone.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen.

Merciful Jesus, hide them in the sanctuary of the Wound in Your Sacred Heart

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.