Prayer for when we 'cannot' forgive

When forgiveness is difficult

In Jesus’ Name, Father,
help us to recover where injury goes beyond ordinary forgiveness and our hearts are in some way crushed, and our lives changed and devalued. Help us to find a way to forgive when we cannot smile or encounter the offending person with warmth because they have destroyed something in us.

Father please help us to forgive when we cannot forgive…and we cannot forgive because they do not understand how badly they have hurt us, and do not seek in any real way to acknowledge or try to heal the hurt they imposed on us. And even when we tried to tell them from the bottom of our heart but they would not listen, please help us to forgive.

Father help us to forgive when those who hurt our lives do not even remember how badly they have wounded us, and go on with their lives without concern, while we remain still held in some kind of time capsule with the consequences of their unfeeling and uncaring and attack.

Father, help us to forgive when those who wounded us by ignoring our needs and requests, yet who desire us to ignore their offense, and expect us to respond to their hints or manipulations while they make no concessions or apologies.

Help us to forgive those who impose their own conditions and rules upon us, without respecting that our hurt is real and radical, while they make us feel that they only desire our capitulation without justice, apology, or generosity from them.

Help us to forgive when we have humbly given apology for our own offense and the response is silence and rejection.

Help us to forgive and heal when we are obsessed and oppressed by our resentment and hurt.

Father please free us, free me, in forgiveness and healing that comes from Your Son, innocent, and murdered, but forgiving.

1 Like

Thank you for this, Trishie! This is the one thing that the world is in dire need of! :highprayer:

WHEN FORGIVENESS IS DIFFICULT***

In Jesus’ Name, Father, :signofcross:
help us to recover where injury goes beyond ordinary forgiveness and our hearts are in some way crushed, and our lives changed and devalued. Help us to find a way to forgive when we cannot smile or encounter the offending person with warmth because they have destroyed something in us.

Father please help us to forgive when we cannot forgive…and we cannot forgive because they do not understand how badly they have hurt us, and do not seek in any real way to acknowledge or try to heal the hurt they imposed on us. And even when we tried to tell them from the bottom of our heart but they would not listen, please help us to forgive.

Father help us to forgive when those who hurt our lives do not even remember how badly they have wounded us, and go on with their lives without concern, while we remain still held in some kind of time capsule with the consequences of their unfeeling and uncaring and attack.

Father, help us to forgive when those who wounded us by ignoring our needs and requests, yet who desire us to ignore their offense, and expect us to respond to their hints or manipulations while they make no concessions or apologies.

Help us to forgive those who impose their own conditions and rules upon us, without respecting that our hurt is real and radical, while they make us feel that they only desire our capitulation without justice, apology, or generosity from them.

Help us to forgive when we have humbly given apology for our own offense and the response is silence and rejection.

Help us to forgive and heal when we are obsessed and oppressed by our resentment and hurt.

Father please free us, free me, in forgiveness and healing that comes from Your Son, innocent, and murdered, but forgiving.

trishie, you are such an inspiration to all of us. your goodness shines through, always. i so admire you, right from the beginning for me. your prayers are so beautiful and so touching. i cannot bear that you have this kind of hurt in your life and i ask God right now to banish it from you. to touch this other persons’ heart to soften and heal them, to let them see what they have done and to repent that they might ask forgiveness of you and the Father. that they might fall to their knees and and give thanks for you and your life. that you might be unbound and that all the hurt might be dissipated. that you might be freed and these shackles removed. that only the love of God surround you and you know that all of us that love you bring more comfort.

take care and know that i am praying.:heart::heart::hug1:

thanks Trishie,

a wonderful prayer

as always.

GBU

How very lovely of you,drtdj, thank you. I do sometimes feel rather useless and it’s heartening to know it’s not always so. I have the most remarkable set of siblings who achieve amazing things so don’t tend to regard my contributions as notable.

I wrote the prayer some time ago. I’ve a journal I call ‘a handful of wildflowers’ in memory of the little bunches of weedflowers my little boys gave as gifts of love, wilting and short lived as clover and dandelion flowers are (though one did prefer to share his beetles, dead or alive) with me! I figured my prayers aren’t so very different for God as my little sons weedflowers. I wrote prayers and prayer-meditations throughout the crises and inspirations, and the striving towards God, but wasn’t sure how to use them for others until I came to CAF.

When I saw your loving post, I thought, “no please don’t worry”, I’m fine, then I remembered yes there is an unresolved hurt that has left its mark which is possibly why the Lord inspired you to pray for me. Please don’t feel sad though! I’m not sad.

I’ve slipped a bit on sharing the prayers, but your response and my old friend who responded before you, good soul that she is, reminded me why I’ve sometimes done that, and that a priest once said, “you wrote what I’ve always thought and couldn’t put into words.” So sometimes I have tried to use words from my journal, in order to say for others what they want to say…partly so they feel less alone in a struggle, and also to demonstrate that others have been through the struggle and found some answers.

2009-11 were horrific years for my family, and though I go on fairly normally there is some aftermath though I don’t see a way around it. I forgive the personal hurt, and don’t expect those who offended, either my family or me personally, to redress or even to express anything, I just pray for them. The 2000s brought a lot with them, as is so for many people and families. My health suffered but lately has improved, according to my tests.

I had posted the prayer because another member was having difficulty in forgiving, but I think God means your kind prayer to help though something I haven’t found a way to solve…so thank you very much dear soul. May God abundantly bless you.

And kind words and thoughts about someone else, as you so generously reveal, do in fact reveal what a good and kind person you are. It shall be lovely, with God’s grace, to meet in heaven.

God Bless you always wise soul:heart:

Amen, Amen - Lord, grant all of your children the graces to cultivate humility and forgiveness, loving one another as you loved us. Mary, pray with us. Amen. :gopray2:

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

CAN’T STOP PRAYING AND THINKIN’ ABOUT YOU:crossrc::heart:

Father, forgive us for we know not what we do. Help us to forgive as readily and eagerly as you do. Amen.

Amen.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

WHEN FORGIVENESS IS DIFFICULT

In Jesus’ Name, Father,
help us to recover where injury goes beyond ordinary forgiveness and our hearts are in some way crushed, and our lives changed and devalued. Help us to find a way to forgive when we cannot smile or encounter the offending person with warmth because they have destroyed something in us.***

Needed to read this right now, thank you!
Lord, hear our prayer.

This is a timely prayer for me as well…thank you so much!

Lord, graciously hear our prayers for help to forgive others, in Jesus’ name, Amen!

Amen.

Amen.

Praying hard.

WHEN FORGIVENESS IS DIFFICULT

In Jesus’ Name, Father,
help us to recover where injury goes beyond ordinary forgiveness and our hearts are in some way crushed, and our lives changed and devalued. Help us to find a way to forgive when we cannot smile or encounter the offending person with warmth because they have destroyed something in us.***

Amen.

Amen.

Praying

Amen.

Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.