Prayer in grace and out of grace

What’s the difference in praying in grace and out of grace. I am trying to discover when I have sinned venially or mortally. I went to mass a wile back and as we went through it I became aware of my conscience starting to bother me and then by the time mass was over I felt I was in grace again. Must’ve been some sin there. The other day I lied I didn’t have to and didn’t like it but I discovered that the grace felt like it immediately left. I don’t know if it’s venial or mortal.

Bill

You can't feel whether or not you're in the state of grace.

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:2, topic:303815"]

[/quote]

Hmm. Doesn't mortal sin require knowledge of (and assent to) the sin? If so, then a person in a state of grace who sins mortally, therefore knows (and as a result, 'feels') the lack of the state of grace... no?

[quote="Gorgias, post:3, topic:303815"]
Hmm. Doesn't mortal sin require knowledge of (and assent to) the sin? If so, then a person in a state of grace who sins mortally, therefore knows (and as a result, 'feels') the lack of the state of grace... no?

[/quote]

As far a mortal I guess that would be so. So a lie could be mortal. It can also be venial.

Bill

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:2, topic:303815"]

[/quote]

I get something. Sometimes. And I know god can allow it.

Bill

[quote="billcu1, post:5, topic:303815"]
I get something. Sometimes. And I know god can allow it.

Bill

[/quote]

You can't rely on it. Some people will feel like they're in mortal sin when they aren't, and others won't feel anything even if they are. Catholicism isn't a religion based on feelings. We AREN'T supposed to follow our feelings or emotions, but rather our use of reason,

[quote="billcu1, post:1, topic:303815"]
What's the difference in praying in grace and out of grace. I am trying to discover when I have sinned venially or mortally. I went to mass a wile back and as we went through it I became aware of my conscience starting to bother me and then by the time mass was over I felt I was in grace again. Must've been some sin there. The other day I lied I didn't have to and didn't like it but I discovered that the grace felt like it immediately left. I don't know if it's venial or mortal.

Bill

[/quote]

Ask in the confessional if you are in doubt.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.