Prayer --Marriage/Family Life

I'm writing for prayer..... my husband says he wants a divorce....we have an 8 month old daughter.... he simply says the he thinks he loves me as a friend, but not a wife.... he says that he is unhappy because I make more money, I ask him too much to help around the house, and generally thinks he will feel better with a different life that is more carefree.

I have started reading the Love Dare book, and try to keep negative comments to myself. I have been reading the Psalms and praying my heart out. I love him very much and believe (at least for me) that we have a sacramental marriage (he on the other hand thinks not, because he suddenly is not so sure how God fits in the picture). I am afraid for my daugther as well, how this would effect/affect her if he chooses to leave.

Please, I ask you all on these boards, all the saints in heaven, and my dear Mother Mary, to pray for Bill's conversion back to God, the Church.... for God to open Bill's mind and heart to Him, as well as to find love for me and our daughter.

Thank you!!

I’ll be praying for you. Don’t lose hope, take time to continue to enjoy the little things to keep from being overwhelmed.

Have you tried to get him to go to counseling, marriage encounter, or retrovaille? Does he understand you’re a team together-- someday he may be making more, no one knows what the future will be. My sister’s husband is a stay at home dad, he finds great joy in taking care of his kids. Try to get your husband to at least read the statistics on girls raised without an involved dad.

Your husband should be made aware that he is 100 percent dad, no turning away from that. His daughter needs him as much as she needs her mom. There are enough fatherless children in our societies because their fathers somehow thought they could go and live a “carefree life”. Well he needs a reality check. He is in this for life, and you need to make sure that he understands that he cannot escape his duty of being a fulltime dad, not matter what illusion he is under at present. Follow him practically and literally with this obligation, if he is really serious.

He made vows to you in church. This is about the will. He has bound himself by his own word. Its not about his momentary feelings. Most people fall in and out of love during their lifetime, that is why eros should give way to agape, even before you marry, so that you don’t marry based on (sexual) emotions but on mature love that takes responsibility.

Your husband sounds like a very egocentric person. Has he shown signs of this before you married?

Praying for all three of you. God bless.

[quote="catholicgirl30, post:1, topic:235401"]
I'm writing for prayer..... my husband says he wants a divorce....we have an 8 month old daughter.... he simply says the he thinks he loves me as a friend, but not a wife.... he says that he is unhappy because I make more money, I ask him too much to help around the house, and generally thinks he will feel better with a different life that is more carefree.

I have started reading the Love Dare book, and try to keep negative comments to myself. I have been reading the Psalms and praying my heart out. I love him very much and believe (at least for me) that we have a sacramental marriage (he on the other hand thinks not, because he suddenly is not so sure how God fits in the picture). I am afraid for my daugther as well, how this would effect/affect her if he chooses to leave.

Please, I ask you all on these boards, all the saints in heaven, and my dear Mother Mary, to pray for Bill's conversion back to God, the Church.... for God to open Bill's mind and heart to Him, as well as to find love for me and our daughter.

Thank you!!

[/quote]

Oh dear me. If he is really as you describe him, he sounds like he's emotionally about 13. Me, me, me, my feelings, I don't want that, not that either, blah blah blah!

Could he be having an affair? The reason I ask is that all those many excuses are kind of overkill if he is just unhappy. Sometimes people who are having an affair will overdo with the excuses so that you cannot argue with them. And in the middle of it is that they are having sex with someone else.

I do not mean to add another trouble into your marriage, but if that really might be the problem, nothing you do or don't do is going to fix things. I will certainly pray for you and hope for the best. He really does sound very immature or else he is trying to get away so he can get with someone else.

:(

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.