Prayer of Gratitude for Priests

I would like to offer a prayer of gratitude for all of the priests who minister to us–especially during Holy Week. I went to Confession at the National Shrine today and the priest was elderly. There were lots of folks waiting for Confession, and I admired this priest, and all of the others there, taking the time to hear confessions, at the end of Holy Week, when they are all so especially busy.

Anyway, I feel particularly grateful for priests making themselves available to hear confessions on the day before Easter. So I would like to offer a prayer of thanksgiving as well as pray for a increase in vocations. I hope others will join me.

Happy Easter!

Sincerely,

Maria1212

***What a perfect thread! I thought about it tonight too during the vigil mass…the priest looked a bit tired, I thought about how busy this week is for them! So true. And the Pope…wow. It is hard to believe he is in his 80’s.

Praying for all priests, that they will continue to be good shepherd to us all…and that they have peace of heart and mind in all they do for our Mother Church. ***

Thank you, Lord for our amazing priests, your servants who faithfully answered your call…and continue to answer it daily. Thank you for their ministry, for their dedication, for their ability to touch our lives, and help us to draw closer to you. And I ask for the intercession of St. John Vianney, pray with us for our priests!

Does anyone have any good prayers that are appropriate or specific to this? Our priests are so special and it would be nice to have a special prayer for them!

Thank you for this beautiful post…
Divine Saviour, Jesus Christ, Who have entrusted your work of redemption to the priests, Who take your place on earth, I offer You, through the hands of Your most holy Mother, for the sanctification of Your priests and future priests this whole day, all my prayers, works, joys, sacrifices and sufferings. Give us saintly priests. Grant to them apostolic hearts, filled with love for You and all the souls belonging to You, so that, being themselves sanctified in You, they may sanctify us who are entrusted to their care and bring us safely into Heaven.
Loving Jesus, bless all their priestly work and sacrifice. Bless all their prayers and words at the altar and in the confessional, in the pulpit, in the school and at the sickbed. Call many young men to the priesthood and the monastic life. Protect and sanctify all who will become Your priests. And grant to the souls of the priests who have departed this life, eternal rest.
And do you, Mary, Mother of all priests, take them under your special protection and lead them ever to the highest priestly sanctity.

*** Offered on behalf of priests***
Bless Your priests
Remember God, that although we are consecrated into Christ’s priesthood, we retain our personal limitations and needs. Lest we ourselves become castaways, protect and give us wholeness. Nourish our prayer life and relationship with You. Nurture and enrich our entire human personalities so that we have stamina and love to serve each according to need.

Behold the endless stream of persons seeking assistance and guidance, with genuine need or with apparently trivial interruption! Behold all who pass by the periphery of our lives! Each one is an entire world, uniquely precious and sacred to You. Grant us the particular teaching and grace required for each person in our care, for we perhaps cannot guess the true state and need of the child of God confronting us. Give us the gift of loving availability, so that no one is harmed or lost due to our lack of charity or wisdom.

Give wisdom to priests and pastoral leaders. Let us be open as the Spirit reveals truth through the Church—in Scripture and Tradition, through the Magisterium, through insight subject to Truth. Let us witness gospel truths with inspiration, clarity and power. Give us humility and discernment to teach appropriately and correctly, inviting Your action with humility and trust rather than to satisfy personal tastes. Direct us safely beyond misleading doctrine, error or possibility of scandal. Help us to avoid misleading devotions while remaining open to what is genuine. Let us be inspirational, instructive, but succinct, lest we cause alienation and frustration by our homilies. These things cloud the light of Your love, and may appear to devalue our service.

Where our faith wavers, compassionately renew us, for we left much and came to follow You, willingly and hopefully. Please grant restoration and renewal of hope, courage and peace to ministers who falter before the endless demands of our vocation. Refresh those discouraged by seeming spiritual failure in self or others. Grant resolution to those enduring inner conflicts. Grant renewal of those in suffering depression or aridity. Let their fidelity free them into fullness of divine love, joy, hope, and service.

Thank You for many gifts and graces that are bestowed unasked. Yet because we are created with free will, You have made prayer conditional to the granting of some graces. Please imbue us with daily prayer, joy, discipline, and humility to accept in each moment the graces offered for growth of personal wholeness and for loving service of others. Without continual conversion, we may drift from You, coming to depend upon human resources alone. We cannot persevere in our responsibility to the Church, to myriad individuals, if we remain utterly dependent on our own efforts and abilities.

Failure to trust in Your Spirit widens the gulf between our will and Yours. Our ministry, while achieving some social success, may then strain through formal practice or through humanism dressed as ‘enlightened modernism’. Rigidity of mind and heart may masquerade as righteousness. Self-will may figure as ‘courageous response to divine inspiration’ or as worldly wisdom. Limited vision and personal bias may claim to be updated theology, yet result in hidden or overt revolt against the Holy Spirit within the Church. Grant that the Church is wise in its rulings, so that people are not exasperated and disillusioned by unnecessary legalism or religiosity.

Let us not betray the Christian vision and mission entrusted to us, lest anyone—finding no gentle, firm hand of Christ warmly extended from those who purport to serve in His name—instead draw back unsolaced. They may be confused or betrayed by guidance that has none of the divine Spirit’s knowledge of their true state and need. Conversely, they may be falsely confirmed in mistaken beliefs and practices that could damage Your life in them. Please ensure that they may find enlightenment and truth.

Lack of genuine ministry discredits the Church and Christ. Therefore, grant that the prayers and penance of fellow Christians obtain abundant blessing to redress their compromised mission so that their people may receive grace and inspiration otherwise perhaps denied them.

Bless the commitment and faith with which we approach and minister Your sacraments. Grant that Your people respond with true conversion to this loving action of the Holy Spirit in our service. Aware that the Sacraments draw life from Jesus in His Mystical Body, we ask that His presence shines through His ministers, and each Christian—for Your power transcends all failure and sin. Flood Your mercy upon anyone who does not wholeheartedly follow Christ, so that we may become one with each other in Him!

Grant to Your priests and all persons, a vibrant, loving communion in You in prayer and service focussed in the Sacramental life of Your Church. As we persevere in prayer and effort, please live, love and act in us continually, even when our limitations obscure to us the operation of Your grace. Thank You for Your love in our apostolate. Bless Your priests, and each of your followers, with the fullness of Christ and of the Holy Spirit. Glorify Yourself in us in everlasting crescendo!

Dear God thank You for dedicated Priests, Religious and laity throughout the centuries. Bless with abundant fruit their sincere efforts. Let Your saints intercede for the Priests and Christian community of our time and for the future holiness of Your Church.

***Offered on behalf of priests ***

Rejoicing in priesthood

Our God behold Your priests and rejoice in our ordination imparted by hand of countless priests since the Apostles. Let Your love and grace in us illuminate Your face to all humankind as we offer worship, thanksgiving and petition as Christ amongst Your people.

Rejoice in Your continuing flow of Christ’s redemption and Sacrament through our ministry as we serve by gift of the Holy Spirit who works miraculously in us with Sacrament and symbol. Through priesthood, You bring numerous souls to birth, nourishment, salvation, and unity.

Rejoice, our God, as waters of Baptism flow from our hands to consecrate human creatures as Your children in kinship with Christ! Rejoice as souls are in Confirmation sealed by Your Holy Spirit, with His gifts, into the fullness of their Baptism!

Rejoice as in the Eucharist, humble bread and wine become divine as we speak Christ’s consecration in continuing celebration of our redemption and unity! Our souls lift in wondering praise, as with hand and spoken word, we are instrument of the miracle of transubstantiation. Thank You for the communion of individuals that You through us bring in Eucharistic sharing of lifted hearts.

Rejoice as in Reconciliation, we bestow absolution on repentant individuals, freeing them from the betrayal that sin is to our selves, to community and to You. Rejoice for peace of reconciliation after sin, when cleansed and healed, souls are restored to fullness of Your life in the Mystical Body!

Rejoice for the joy of encouraging repentance and renewal, and of enlightening others to Your truths. Thank You for times that we perceive the workings of the Spirit in another’s being or that we see Your face in a life truly given to You.

Rejoice, as through Anointing of the sick, souls are restored to health and deeper unity, and dying persons are prepared for Your Kingdom! For all these things, we offer our gratitude, our God!

Be compassionate, as through Matrimony, two individuals become one, needful of lifelong grace. Through their union, children receive life to seek their destiny in loving You above all, others as self.

Rejoice in the love that You bear Jesus, as in Ordination their sons are made sharers in His priesthood. Let this miracle be brought to fulfilment in us so that through our priestly ministry, Christ is made present and brought to reign in every soul. Delight Yourself in this fulfilment of Your Son’s unceasing prayer, and rejoice with each of His redeemed, for all eternity!

Thank You for grace that enables us to bear crosses in service of others. Thank You for grace to overcome natural inclination or allurement that might draw us from You. Thank You for joy of temptation overcome. Thank You for assistance to face inconvenience and others’ insensitivity with patience.

Thank You for alleviating others’ burdens through our compassion and practical assistance. Thank You for the gift of divine love that inspires our actions, and words.

Thank You when the lonely, the fearful or the bereaved experience Your love in us. Thank You for all the secret achievements of our apostolate. Thank You for blessing others through us, through our limitations and our failures, as well as through our gifts and successes.

We rejoice in all things that celebrate our everlasting salvation, joy, and communion in You. We rejoice that You ask the sacrifice and sacrament of our lives within Christ, for sake of each person. Thank You that You require everything of us, in self-renunciation, humility, obedience, chastity and love and that You then offer us the necessary graces for administering our priesthood. We rejoice for all blessing that You grant through Your priests.

Dear Lord, I give You heartfelt thanks for those priests whose love for You and neighbor is so strong that they are other Christs for us and win many tepid hearts over to Your Kingdom. Thank you for these selfless, holy priests who are witnesses of Your love for man and bring us all the joy of knowing You in our priests. Amen.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death
Amen.

Thank you Lord for our Priests.

Prayer for Priests

Almighty God, look upon the face of Jesus who is the eternal High Priest, and have compassion on Your priests in today‘s world. They are but weak and frail human beings. Stir up in them the grace of their vocation. Keep them close to You so the enemy may not prevail against them, so that they may never do anything in the slightest degree unworthy of their sublime vocation.

O Jesus, I pray You to help Your faithful and fervent priests; for the unfaithful and tepid ones; for those laboring at home and abroad in distant mission fields; for those who are lonely and desolate; for those who are young; for those who are dying; and for those who are in purgatory.

But, above all, I recommend to you the priests dearest to me; the priest who baptized me, the priests who absolved me from my sins; the priests at whose Masses I have assisted and who gave me Your body and blood in Holy Communion; the priests who instructed me or helped me by their encouragement. I pray devoutly for all the priests to who I am indebted in any other way. O Jesus, keep them all close to Your heart and bless them abundantly in time and in eternity. Amen.

My dear Saviour,
I unite all my affections with the affections of Your most loving Heart;
and I offer them, thus united, to Your eternal Father,
and beseech Him in Your name to vouchsafe,
for Your love, to accept them.
Amen.

What a beautiful thread!

Hail Mary, Full of Grace
The Lord is with thee
Blessed art thou amongst women
and blessed is the Fruit of thy womb, Jesus
Holy Mary, Mother of God
Pray for us sinners
Now and at the hour of our death
Amen

Amen and thank you for your post!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.