Prayer of Unity of Christians

This is not an Apologetic Thread (although it is an apology). It’s addressed to all who participated in the thread I recently started, “Protestants - When did the Catholic Church begin?”

I’m sorry that the thread turned into a “you’re wrong and I’m right” kind of thread. There was very little charity displayed on the thread (yours truly included) and if anyone wandered onto the thread, they wouldn’t have been drawn to Christianity after reading its content.

With that in mind, I’d like to ask all my Christian Brothers and Sisters to meditate on John Chapter 17. In this Chapter, Jesus prays for the Apostles and for the Christian Church during the Last Supper:

*** "I pray not only for them, but also for those who will believe in me through their word, so that they may all be one***, as you, Father, are in me and I in you, that they also may be in us, that the world may believe that you sent me. And I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may be brought to perfection as one, that the world may know that you sent me, and that you loved them even as you loved me.

Sometimes, we Christians should rejoice in the beliefs that we share, rather than dwelling on the beliefs we disagree on. Maybe if we do that, we can one day attain the Unity that Christ prayed for. Then, and only then, will people of other religions see the City on the Hill that calls to everyone!

God Bless all of you, my Brothers and Sisters. Let’s please share this Hope that we will all be one in Christ!!!

If you wish to add to this prayer, feel free to do so. I’d love to hear from all those on the previous thread. But if you wish to continue the “who’s right” argument, please, PLEASE do it on another thread!!!

Wow. This is sort of depressing.

Not even a “Kumbaya”?

Nobody wants unity among His faithful? :shrug:

I started a thread days ago (now bumped down to China :smiley: ) about former anti-Catholic converts, like myself. With myself, I notice (and am disturbed by) the instant cynical reaction I have when I encounter it. Considering I used to be pretty much the same way. The Fruit of the Spirit is something the Christian always need to strive for. It is very easy to allow ourselves to be just as uncharitible as they are.
Having said that, there are Protestants who are not anti-Catholic. And Catholics themselves should not be ‘anti-Protestant’. When the poison of cynicism is removed, and the walls of suspicion come down, unity takes a foothold.

NotWorthy:

I don’t think it’s so much that no one wants unity as much as that we’re unclear about how to get there… assuming we can get “there” this side of Heaven. :slight_smile:

I think posts like yours are helpful in reaching unity in that I think we can all identify with repenting of our less-than-charitable posts/attitudes, and our lack of willingness to follow the leadings of the Holy Spirit at times. Our errors coupled with our ignorance and tendencies to follow one another (as sheep do - even over a cliff!), are even more magnified on a format such as this. By nature fora (forums?) bring out the debater in us and it’s too easy to get caught up in the passion of making our point (aka “being right”), vs. really listening to what another is trying to communicate.

The neat thing about reading the various threads over a period of time is that I do see the Holy Spirit working. I do see displays of great patience, understanding, and kindness towards others. I also see how we are also trying to balance those things with standing up for what we believe and defending the faith. I think therein lies the rub; how do we defend our beliefs/the Church/etc., without bashing each other over the head???

shalom

Yeah, I get what you’re saying. I’ve been on numerous threads, sometimes I can be Christian, sometimes I can be everything that I hate.

But the thread that I referenced, after it was listed on Keating’s “Hot Topics” e-mail, just went straight down the tubes. All ecumenism went out the window.

Even in our debates, especially in our debates, we should try and remember that we share more in our faith than we disagree on.

Dear Heavenly Father,
In ancient times, you divided your people with language at the Tower of Babel, because we sinfully thought we could be equal to you. Because of our continuing sinfullness, language now separates us one from another in our understanding of what your one true faith teaches.
We, as members of your church here on earth are aware that we, through our sinfulness, are not united as Christ commanded.
We, therefore, ask your forgiveness and pray that you…:
…pour out your Holy Spirit upon your church that we may end our divisions
…protect us all from the evil one who delights in our division, and endeavors to pertetuate it
…blind us to human pride that causes us to think that each of us knows better than the other what you teach.
…open our minds and hearts to each other to hear your truth in each other, and
…use your power through our words to bring us to unity of understanding.

Hear our prayers, Heavenly Father, in Jesus’ name and for His sake.
Amen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.