Prayer or scripture reading?

Which one is more important prayer or scripture reading. I know many people are going to say both but** lets say if you had to pick one which one would it be?**

For me its prayer because prayer is a conversation with God.

I’d say prayer. And scripture reading is a kind of prayer for me. When I am reading I am praying.

Prayer

Prayer

For me personally it depends on the situation. I do pray already a lot and I have read the Bible from cover to back 2 times, but reading just for reading might not be very useful to you.
One thing that I would like to be able to do every day is meditation.
Reading a few passages from scripture and pray about them, what do they mean to me, and what does God tell me in my heart I should do about them in my daily life. I do this often with John’s Gospel and the Acts of the Apostles. Usually when I am riding the train I either pray the Rosary or just read the Bible, depending on what I feel would help me better.

God Bless,
D.

Prayer.

It’s a lot easier to argue Scripture reading as a form of prayer than the other way around. For that matter, most of what I pray every day is straight from the Bible. (Divine Office, specifically Lauds and Vespers)

Prayer. Like others I see scripture reading as a way to pray. It is really helpful to read scripture while in adoration because the Lord is right there to instruct you.

Combine the best of both worlds and pray the scriptures! Whether in the Liturgy of the Hours or in Lectio Divina, they are both forms of prayer of the scriptures.

I use the rosary a lot as my form of prayer and pray it sometimes far more than reading the Scriptures. But, I do think everyone should spend a great deal of time in life reading the Bible for it is the Word of God the direct message of Him to us.

Blessings!

I would always choose the rosary.

Prayer.

Prayer

From what I recall, there is only one time where Jesus is said to have read scripture (Luke 4:17 and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:

18 “The Spirit of the Lord is on me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners
and recovery of sight for the blind,
to set the oppressed free,
19 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”
20 Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. ) Though He did quote scripture frequently.

But many times we are told he prayed.

Wholeheartedly agree. :thumbsup:

You have to realize that since Jesus is God and the Old Testament that they had at the time was the word of God that Jesus would have known the word of God as He was the Word. So, why would He need to read the Word of God if He is God and the Word?

Also many times in Scripture Jesus does quote the Bible like when He was tempted in the desert by Satan. Also if you look at the end of the Gospel of St. John, chapter 21.25: “But there are also many other things which Jesus did; were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written.” So maybe He did read the Old Testament at other times which he probably did. These just weren’t written into the Gospels which compose the canon.

God bless!

Like deciding which do you want to do without your first child or your second…your Mom or your Dad…

lectio divina

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.