Prayer primer for middle schoolers?

I could see this question going in either the Evangelization or Spirituality forum, so I made a judgment call. I hope I picked the right one!

I am a catechist in our parish’s Confirmation program. I have been asked to teach a class a week from tomorrow (June 15) on the topic of Prayer. Students will have just completed grades 6, 7, or 8. Confirmation is in October.

If you had exactly 30 minutes to teach middle schoolers everything they need to know about prayer (ha ha), what would you do?

There’s so much I want to share, but so little time. Many kids stop attending CCD after Confirmation, so this may be a “last chance” opportunity for many of them.

Some things I never learned about prayer as a young person, but wish I had:
[LIST]
*]The importance of developing a daily prayer relationship with God.
*]Making a daily prayer plan.
*]An awareness of the indwelling Trinity.
*]Prayer can be more than just reciting memorized prayers.
*]The importance of SILENCE (physical and mental).
*]Prayer isn’t just talking to God; it is allowing God to speak to us, and learning to LISTEN.
*]Meditating on the Lord’s Prayer.
*]Praying with Scripture.
*]Praying without words.
[/LIST]

Some of this may be a little “over their heads” for this age group; I’m aware that most of them are not ready to become little contemplatives. On the other hand, I was in my 40’s before I learned anything about mental prayer, and some people go through their whole lives without it.

Your thoughts and suggestions? Remember, 30 minutes!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.