Prayer: Specific requests vs. general requests for help

Hello,

In reading various CAF topics these past few months one thing I've noticed is different thoughts on the topic of prayer. Specifically, I've read how some call for those who pray to ask for things and how some note that prayer is there to align one with God's will and plan.

Now for several things these are one and the same. For example, a parent who has a child doing bad things might pray to have the child set right. This not only is request but also may align the one praying in a way to help his or her child.

But I want to focus on prayers that fall more on requests for assistance, where the person praying is looking for God to intercede in a problem. Let's imagine a scenario where you're driving on a stormy night and run over some debris. Multiple tires go flat. You're in an area where you don't get cell phone reception and you're several miles from civilization.

My question is this: When you pray in this situation do you ask for general assistance or do you ask for something more specific? If it's the latter, what specifically would you ask God? Thank you in advance!

[quote="Mike_from_NJ, post:1, topic:320806"]
But I want to focus on prayers that fall more on requests for assistance, where the person praying is looking for God to intercede in a problem. Let's imagine a scenario where you're driving on a stormy night and run over some debris. Multiple tires go flat. You're in an area where you don't get cell phone reception and you're several miles from civilization.

My question is this: When you pray in this situation do you ask for general assistance or do you ask for something more specific? If it's the latter, what specifically would you ask God?

[/quote]

You can be as specific or unspecific as you want, as long as you're willing to receive God's answer and do God's will. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.