Prayer to help my spouse come to God

Dear Friends,

I have born this burden on my heart for so long that I feel that The Lord is asking me to let it go and turn it over to others.

I have been married to a wonderful man for almost 18 years. When I married him he made no secret of the fact that he was not only not a Catholic but also an athiest. He is a wonderful caring individual who is devoted to social justice and has been a wonderful spouse and father to our two boys (16 and 10).

While making no secret that he was not a believer he stood beside me at their baptisms, first communions and my eldests confirmation. He is a good man and I love him dearly but found out early that we could not talk about faith and religion without his “logic” causing me pain and heartache, so he will not discuss it with me anymore because he does not like to see me so hurt. Neither will I ask him to lie or pretend, just for me. If he is to come to God his faith and his belief would have to be genuine. I will ask no more of him. I have turned my fear for his soul over to God and dedicated myself to prayer for him, but after 18 years there is no change.

Today he is facing a major hurdle in his life. Although he hides it well, I know that he has always been a mild and secret user of marajuana. He has a job interview and drug test today that would make a tremendous impact on his ability to get good insurance and benefits to take care of his family. He is very remorseful and frightened that his giving up this habit was too long in comming and he will have been too late.

So I am asking anyone who is so inclined to pray for him. Not that he is clean enough to pass this test, but that this experience might be the moment to bring him to God. I can forgive my husband, because I have the streagth of God’s love behind me, but I don’t know if he can forgive himself.

Please pray for him that something in this experience, no matter what happens will help him see the face and hands of God in his life and that he will be touched by Gods love today.

Thank you,

Hi Beth,

My prayers are certainly with you, your husband and your kids.

I would like to tell you about my own experience. Very similar to yours. But my wonderful man called himself a Baptist. He believed in a higher power, but did not believe in the divinity of Jesus. He never went to church, did not support me in raising our children as Catholic. In fact, he greatly undermined it. The kids and I would come home from church and Sunday school and they would tell Daddy all about what they had learned. He would then take that as an opportunity to teach the kids (all elementary age and younger) that there were different belief systems by saying, "Well, that’s what the Catholics teach, but this is how the Baptists believe . . . " He was really telling them about Religion according to Jim. This became too big a fight for me and I eventually fell away from going to church myself. I was afraid the kids would become too confused. I didn’t have faith in the power of God.

In all other areas of our life, he was great. He provided well, he took time with each of the kids, he did things with them. He was and is a great Dad.

It was about 10 years into our marriage that I found he did not believe that Jesus Christ was True God and True Man. I was dumbfounded. I had prayed for him all along, but now I began in real earnestness. Those prayers brought me back to the Catholic faith. It also brought healing to my husband. After 32 years of marriage, he has professed a belief in God, a belief in the divinity of Jesus and that he cannot function without God’s intervention in his life. He is not Catholic, but evangelical. I jokingly tell him he’s in a halfway house for recovering atheists.

Our children are grown and have come to Christ in a variety of ways. One son is stll a worry. But God will care for him too.

I tell you all this to bolster your faith and to remind you that you are doing the right thing. So often, we try to ‘fix’ the problem when all we should be doing is letting go and letting God.

May God bless you and your family
:hug3:

My most sincere prayers for you and your husband!!

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
Pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Remember, St. Monica prayed for her husband (who was finally baptised) and St. Augustine (well, we know what happened there!) to be converted for decades. :thumbsup:

Praying for your intention.

Join us here if you want: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=106135&page=169

:hug1:

***† JMJTJ †

Your intentions will be in my prayers.*

Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible, look kindly upon us, and increase Your mercy in us, so that in difficult moments we might not despair, nor become despondent, but with great confidence, submit ourselves to Your Holy Will, which is Love and Mercy itself. Amen

***God bless you † ***

Beth, I am praying for your husband and the intentions that you posted.

I would like to tell you about my own experience. Very similar to yours. But my wonderful man called himself a Baptist. He believed in a higher power, but did not believe in the divinity of Jesus. He never went to church, did not support me in raising our children as Catholic. In fact, he greatly undermined it.

I am so sorry you went through this. I can only imagine how difficult it can be under those circumstances. Before we were married we made an agreement. He would support my raising them Catholic, and would not undermine their teaching until such time as they completed their confirmation. Until then he would not discuss with them his opposition to “any” religion.

I am blessed in that my husband is a caring man and even though he doesn’t believe in God, he does believe in being an honest and thoughtful person. He wants our children to grow up with a strong ethical philosophy and he does see that in the church. He even admire the teachings of Christ, he just will not recognize the Divinity.

Sadly, I must admit that I was not familiar with St Monica, though I am sure I had heard of her before. I have been looking up her caplet and novena and will pray for her intercession. I can never give up, but I am grateful that I now have some new hope with other voices being raised for him to come to God. I know that Christ will never give up on him, so I will not either.

Thank you so much!

Jesus thank you for the goodness and loyalty that Beth’s husband has shown. Please help him to overcome his addiction and to begin life anew with faith in You as his guide and springboard. Thank You, Jesus

praying

Our Father,
Who art in Heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come,
Thy Will be done,
On Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who trespass against us,
And lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil.

Hail Mary, full of grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women
And blessed is the Fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
Pray for us sinners,
Now and at the hour of our death.

Glory be to the Father
And to the Son
And to the Holy Spirit:
As it was in the beginning,
Is now,
And ever shall be,
World without end.

Amen

:amen:

Lord hear my prayer for Bealexan’s husband , that this man will be released of his addiction and no longer need this addiction and instead open his heart and mind to you LORD GOD and become Christlike in his heart and ways and to have a renewed mind in Christ. Lord with you all is possible . Lord i thank you for bringing this to pass for Bealexan;s husband. Praise the LORD, I thank you Lord, in Jesus’s name , amen . Bealexan keep in prayer and in gratitude for the LORD is doing this . , John

I want to thank everyone for your intentions and prayer. I will continue to pray that he will someday understand the love and strenght I get from my own faith and that it will inspire him.

He did come up miraculously clean and now has full-time status with his company and is no longer a temp. The benefits are a blessing!

I know God is working in our lives and Robert may not yet be willing to acknowledge it…God is an ever present light in his life.

Thank you again and may God bless you in all ways.

Beth

Hail Mary, full of grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women
And blessed is the Fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
Pray for us sinners,
Now and at the hour of our death.
Amen

hi
this is hevenroman
Prayer to help my spouse come to God present and future life good and my study life is more then good and my life totally so good me god. World people any problems is clear and all people together to god my prayer.

hevenroman
Drug Intervention West Virginia

Beth I’m glad about his job. I thank the Lord for this.
May the Lord in time draw him to Himself

hi
this is hevenroman
God is come to my face only just prayer all people together and don’t any problems all people totally clear please help.

hevenroman
drug-intervention.com/west-virginia-drug-intervention.htmlDrug Intervention West Virginia

hi
this is hevenroman
Prayer to help my spouse come to God present and future life good and my study life is more then good and my life totally so good me god. World people any problems is clear and all people together to god my prayer.

hevenroman
Drug Intervention West Virginia

I will pray for your husband and for you. That you will continue to love him just as he is so that he will know that he is loved unconditionally.

And that God will little by little soften his heart and illumnite his mind.

Perhaps you can sugget that if he was questions he might visit CAF. That way, any arguing about the faith will not be done with you but with others.

Sometimes, it is hard to accept teaching from those close to us. It is easier with strangers.

hi
this is hevenroman
First of all i see the god am very happy next god blessing with me and next god is all people don’t any problems faced only just happiness give the people that’s it…

hevenroman
Home Based Business

Praying very hard for your intention!

I love your signature quote. So true.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.