Prayer to release 1000 souls from Purgatory?

I came across this prayer that supposedly releases 1000 souls from purgatory and it is claimed that Jesus gave this prayer -

Eternal Father,
I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus,
in union with the Masses said throughout the world today,
for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory,
for sinners everywhere,
for sinners in the Universal Church,
those in my own home and within my family.
Amen.

Now where did Jesus say this and to whom?

:hmmm: I’ve been wondering this for awhile now too this site has a little info on it ourladyswarriors.org/prayer/purgator.htm

This is a PRIVATE revelation only. It is not a Church teaching.

No human praying can determine a preset number of souls to be released from purgatory.
Only God decides who and when souls are released.

Of course we should pray daily for those in Purgatory but it is foolish to think if we pray a particular prayer every day that we are releasing 1000 souls.

Eternal Father, i offer You
The Body and The Blood
Soul and divinity of Your dearly beloved Son
Our Lord, Jesus Christ
In atonement for our sins
And those of the whole world

For the sake of His sorrowful passion
Have mercy on us
And on the whole world

Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One
Have mercy on us and on the whole world
Amen

Ya. It sounds foolish indeed to believe that. But I asked because I came across this claim on many websites. I have even seen some cards printed with this claim on them.

It’s the… theme prayer (?) of the Dead Theologian Society (a Saint study group mainly aimed at teenagers). Regardless of whether or not it actually releases a predetermined number of souls is a bit irrelevant, the point is to pray for them. shrug

I’m in that! Really great program!

Yeah, the Saint Gertrude prayer is one of the staples of DTS. I haven’t seen much criticism to it before, though.

I pray the Saint Gertrude Chaplet every night. It gives me great comfort.

Eternal Father,
I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus,
in union with the Masses said throughout the world today,
for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory,
for sinners everywhere,
for sinners in the Universal Church,
those in my own home and within my family.
Amen.

Times 50. So I prayed for the intentions of 50,000 Holy Souls In Purgatory! Gives me great joy! So now I’m moving on to 6,000,000 Holy Souls praying for my intentions. The way I look at it, I need all my friends praying for me. Works for me.

I fully understand praying for the souls in Purgatory. I do that daily as well.
However, I do not say a specific prayer designed to release 1000 souls from Purgatory. Any idea how silly that sounds. I guess Purgatory must already be empty!!

Yes. Surely it must be empty by now if this is true!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.