Prayer to the Wounded Heart of Jesus question

There is one part of this prayer which has me a little confused. The last sentence, “that I may no longer be but one with Thee”. What is the last sentence implying?

Full Prayer,

O my Most Loving and Gentle Jesus, I desire with all the affections of my heart, that all beings should praise Thee, honor Thee and glorify Thee eternally for that sacred wound wherewith Thy divine side was rent. I deposit, enclose, conceal in that wound and in that opening in Thy Heart, my heart and all my feelings, thoughts, desires, intentions and all the faculties of my soul. I entreat Thee, by the precious Blood and Water that flowed from Thy Most Loving Heart, to take entire possession of me, that Thou may guide me in all things. Consume me in the burning fire of thy holy Love, so that I may be so absorbed and transformed into Thee that I may no longer be but one with Thee.

Amen.

It would appear to me to be interpretable as “(so) that I am nothing except one with you”, or words to that effect.

“…so absorbed and transformed… that I may no longer be but one with Thee.”

Classic use of a double negative in poetic writing…it can be said
“…I will absorb and transform myself (forever) into your Image”
that you will live as Jesus would live, one with Him.

Wonderful prayer, BTW Thundercrack. Will add this to my current arsenal. Heck, I like this prayer period.

Chantal

Dear friend, this prayer may not be in the level of the Gospel, but there is a parallel to it. When Jesus Christ our Lord said “I and the Father are one”, did He really mean that there is only Jesus Christ, and then the Holy Spirit? When He prayed to His Father that we disciples may be “one”, did He really mean that we should become a hive mind? Neither of these speculations are true, because our holy Saviour was speaking with divine poetry. God is so Romantic… and I think He enjoys our own attempts to speak lovingly of Him. :smiley:

Thanks for clearing that up.

Glade you like it. Others if you’re interested.
ewtn.com/devotionals/heart/index.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.