Prayer v. service

Is a life entirely spent in prayer just when one could help through service?

Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain town: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary. who, sitting also at the Lord’s feet, heard his word. But Martha was busy about much serving. Who stood and said: Lord, hast thou no care that my sister hath left me alone to serve? Speak to her therefore, that she help me. And the Lord answering, said to her: Martha, Martha, thou art careful and art troubled about many things: But one thing is necessary. Mary hath chosen the best part, which shall not be taken away from her.

Luke 10:38-42

I went to a school that was very service focused. And while I do serve others and will help my neighbor move a bed, I’m not a “go dig a well in nigeria” sort of person.

God calls us to different roles in the church. So one may be called to simple service, like helping neighbors, or doing that extra thing at work and God calls some to extraordinary service…missionary and the like. I think a mistake many of the fervant make in today’s Christian culture (the one that is good) is that we’re broken if we don’t want to get up at 5am to go to a food pantry on our day off. Not true. To many are given many talents.

The Church obviously thinks so, since there are whole religious congregations dedicated to prayer. They give thanks; they intercede for the world; they make reparation for sin. The congregation of Poor Clares to which Mother Angelica belongs, for example, has as its mission perpetual adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, to give thanks to the Lord for this great gift, and to make reparation for the offenses committed against it. And then some orders, like the Redemptoristines, have a special mission to support with prayer the apostolic works of an active order. Prayer is both powerful and necessary, so it makes sense that some are called to leave the world in order to dedicate themselves entirely to prayer. If this ain’t service, what is?

Remember that there are spiritual works of mercy as well as corporal ones, and that one of the spiritual works of mercy is to pray for the living and the dead.

Need prayers to boost services to others… In my opinion, no one can live in this world without prayers & stay in touch with Jesus through Services…

I don’t think that, one can do service without prayers…maybe can do, but in that time he will focus on the money .

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.