Prayer Vows and Common Book of Prayer

Hello,

I am a writer who is doing research for a fictional work. In it there is a Catholic wedding ceremony. I was wondering where I could find information on vows used in modern Catholic weddings throughout the world and also information on Catholic vows used in earlier periods.

Also, I came across some vows from the Common Book of Prayer. They follow:

“With this ring I thee wed, with my body I thee worship, and with all my worldly goods I thee endow. In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost (or Spirit).”

Were these ever Catholic vows or could they be used in a Catholic ceremony? I am confused because I first heard them used in a French Catholic ceremony, but their derivation seems to be Anglican.

Thanks,

SJ

[quote=sjangelini]Hello,

I am a writer who is doing research for a fictional work. In it there is a Catholic wedding ceremony. I was wondering where I could find information on vows used in modern Catholic weddings throughout the world and also information on Catholic vows used in earlier periods.

“With this ring I thee wed, with my body I thee worship, and with all my worldly goods I thee endow. In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost (or Spirit).”

Were these ever Catholic vows or could they be used in a Catholic ceremony? I am confused because I first heard them used in a French Catholic ceremony, but their derivation seems to be Anglican.

Thanks,

SJ
[/quote]

Just one comment. I assume that you are looking for Vows that are used in the Latin (or Roman) Catholic Church. As in the Byzantine Churches there are, traditionally, no Vows.

Latin Rite, of course.

[quote=sjangelini]Hello,

Thanks,

SJ
[/quote]

They are the Anglican vows, but of course Anglican liturgy is simply adapted from medieval Catholic liturgy. Some parts were written by Cranmer to reflect Protestant theology, but many things were just taken over or marginally tinkered with. That’s one of the things the Puritans found so offensive.

Edwin

Dear Edwin,

Good point. I guess the question is, how closely from the medieval Catholic ceremony were these vows taken, if at all, and how valid are they in a Catholic ceremony?

SJ

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.