Prayer

hi folks, i am not sure what to ask for. Usually i only get as far as “thy will be done in me”.
i have recently been diagnosed with cancer and underwent surgery and am now in “treatment”. Actually i am in between a series of treatments and just underwent an exam to check progress. There doesn’t seem to be any. i am disappointed because i put a lot of effort into changing my diet and making all the necessary med appointments. i am more than disappointed, i am downright depressed. i don’t know why i am depressed–i am not too concerned with death (i am 60 years old and lived a full exciting life). i know god will take care of my family if i die. i am not suicidal, i just feel like quitting the treatments and diet and just let death come. i have a history of depression and have been given drugs in the past for it, but nothing seemed to work, the depressions just lifted by themselves (that seems to be the way they come–spontaneously). i am tired of being depressed, nothing seems interesting anymore.The physical pain is over for now. The worst suffering is i am unable to pray(or think clearly), and prayer is the joy of my life. i know that god allows suffering for a reason. Sometimes to develop patience, or for sins commited, or to prevent some suffering after death. i feel guilty asking to be relieved of suffering. Christ bore his suffering without a word of complaint although he didn’t need to. i don’t know what to do, if i knew the reason for my pain perhaps i could bear up better. i am tired, perhaps due to the illness. Please pray that i might be able to pray.peace,–nicolo

Nico,
It’s not surprising you feel depressed considering the effects of illness and the treatments on your system!

You needn’t feel guilty about asking relief or healing.
St [Padre] Pio wrote,

“It is not a loss of patience if one asks Jesus to take away pain, when this becomes insupportable to us and beyond our strength, nor does one lose the merit of the suffering which is offered, by asking this of God.”

“Pray that God will console you when you feel the burden of the Cross, for in doing so you are not acting against the will of God, but you are placing yourself beside the Son of God who asked His Father during the Agony in the Garden to send Him some relief. But if He is not willing to give it, be ready to pronounce the same ‘fiat’ that Jesus did.” “When least you are expecting to be liberated, Jesus, who cannot bear to keep you long in affliction, will come and relieve and comfort you, giving you new courage.”

“He is the Father of all; He is so in a very special manner for the unhappy.” “The Cross will not crush you; if its weight makes you stagger, its power will also sustain you.” “What does it matter whether Jesus wishes to guide you to heaven by the way of the desert or by the fields, so long as you get there by one way or the other? Put away excessive worrying which results from trials by which the good Lord has desired to test you; and if this is not possible resign yourself to the divine will.”

I will keep you in my prayers and Masses, Nico

Praying for you~

Our Father, Who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,but deliver us from evil.
Amen

Dear Nico, when you find this difficulty in praying, remember this verse from St Paul.

"In the same way, the Spirit also helps us in our weakness, since we do not know how to pray as we should. But the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans too deep for words…" [Romans 8:26]
Therefore you can ask the Holy Spirit to pray in your soul even when you can’t pray.

You don’t have to hear Him or feel Him, just trust Him to do this in you, because your intention is to pray…and I ask Him to hear and grant these prayers of your heart and soul, and to rejoice in you presence with Him, even if it is as if you are asleep, because a mother or father love their children as much if they’re asleep and silent in their arms, as when they’re awake.

Perhaps you need some sleep and rest in God’s arms, you have been through so much. That’s okay…just to silently trust in Him maybe that’s all He wants from you just now.

As I hold you in my prayers may Our Lord hold you gently in the palm of his hand.

Praying

O Lady of Mental Peace, Mother of Tranquility and Mother of Hope, look upon me in this my time of weakness and unrest. Teach my searching heart to know that God’s love for me is unchanging and unchangeable; and, that true human love can only begin and grow by touching His love. Let your gentle peace, which this world cannot give, be always with me, and help me to bring this same peace into the lives of others. Our Lady of Mental Peace, pray for me!

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

Hi nico1089,

I’m praying the following two prayers for you.

This prayer is to help you with your prayer life…

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen

This one is to help you recover from your illness and the treatments …

O great St. Peregrine, you have been called “The Mighty,” “The Wonder-Worker,” because of the numerous miracles which you have obtained from God for those who have had recourse to you.

For so many years you bore in your own flesh this cancerous disease that destroys the very fibre of our being, and who had recourse to the source of all grace when the power of man could do no more. You were favoured with the vision of Jesus coming down from His Cross to heal your affliction. Ask of God and Our Lady, the cure of the sick whom we entrust to you.
(nico1089)

Aided in this way by your powerful intercession, we shall sing to God, now and for all eternity, a song of gratitude for His great goodness and mercy.
Amen

Heavenly Father please take away nico depression and restore his health, in Jesus name, Amen

Merficul Father, please hear the intentions in Nico’s heart, spoken and unspoken. Hear Nico’s prayers as they are united to Your Passion. Console this child of Yours, now and forever. Mary, pray for us. Amen. :gopray2:

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen

hi Folks,i’ve been too ill and depressed to keep up with things. thanks to god for all replies i wish i could just be beheaded as a martyr how easy. i know we learn from sufferering but my human abilities don’t allow me to cope. god knows what we can handle but i wish he didn’t have such faith in me. i sure don’t. If there was an easier way out i would take it. My prayers seem like mouthfuls of useless words. i feel the end is near thanks be to god and i wish it was now. if my death means anything let it be peace for at least one soul. i am lost and confused and wish i was never born. It is not so much pain as the depression. i wonder id god would be pissed off if i got drunk and just passed out, seems like a cheap shot but what the heck. God bless you all, i wish i could do you all a kindness.–nicolo

Still praying :gopray2:

Thanks folk, goh i have noticed so many posr with my name which i have not written. Please the only posts i have written this year have been prayer requests and i than all for their reponsesm amen–nicolo

Praying for you Nicolo

Hail Mary, Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the Fruit of Thy Womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen.

Some days dawn as personal prophecies
and set as sins of omission.
i didn’t pray for tibet today,
or china or georgia or george.
A shopping list if i could pay in prayer
(my credit for suffering isn’t very good)
Prayers to fix the world gone astray-
dare i presume to pray this way?

Well, there’s no time or chance for that
you set this day to employ me fully,
to participate in your prescence
where two or three are gathered
you among us the essence.
And this world-place here as it should be,
nor does hell prevail in this country of faith.

Lord, you know me better than
i know the prayer of the publican!(wink)
"have mercy on me a sinner"
What other words might speak the pot to potter?
My confusion bids me come to you in silence.
You pull me towards you as if to tell a secret.
You kiss me with the kiss of peace.
In your grasp i am lost to seeing,
i cannot raise my eyes,–nicolo

“Oh, what a difficult thing I ask You, my true God: that You love someone who doesn’t love You, that You open to one who doesn’t knock, that You give health to one who likes to be sick and who goes about looking for sickness. You say, My Lord, that you come to seek sinners; these, Lord are real sinners. Don’t look at our blindness, my God. but at all the blood Your Son shed for us.Let Your mercy shine upon evil that has so increased; behold, Lord, we are Your handiwork. May your goodness and mercy help us” --Teresa of Avila, Soliloquies

Teresa, my friend, my sister my lover,
in christ our brother.
One with mary our mother,
speaking with the same voice and lips our love.

Who was it that stopped my ears and blinded my eyes?
Nay, when you speak he is forgotten–
You opened myeyes with your joyful tears,
so sweet to my lips to blot them.

Ah dear friend your prayers have been answered-
and always were
(i’ve never had this love before)
still it was there-
and it was her.–nicolo

We sell ourselves for our own dream of comfort,
to avoid confronting the unknown
in shadows cast of doors we never enter
in nights where everybody is alone.

We dress ourselves to show we know the trade,
of the loving we were never living.
This is the heart, this is the soul god made.
This is the magdala that god’s forgiven.–nicolo

Hail lady, full of thirst,
all griefs are with thee.
Butchered art thou with my pain,
my veins are the root of thy womb’s bleedings.
Wholly Babe, mama outrageous,
Pay for our whiskies, now…
and at the hour of closing.
amen.–nicolo

May The Lord bring you strength and comfor. In the name of The Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Amen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.