prayer

Hi,
This may seem a simple thing to you guys but i wanted to know how to pray properly. I say the Lords prayer most days and the rosary now and then.
Is there any info on how to go about it.
The main reason is i want to meditate using pray and try to get closer to God and his love for us.

Hope you can help.
Thank you.

hi,
there is a book by Thomas Merton, “Life and Holiness” to reference…for very basic understanding of faith combined with prayer…(it is easy to read…)
but if you have any more specific questions, please email me in the private email of the forum…certainly, a life in the sacraments makes for a good prayer life…thx, have a good day…

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Jonni formal prayers are a true blessing.
Jesus Himself taught us the Lord’s prayer, so it is a good guide to praying.
It begins, honoring God,
it then asks that God’s kingdom and God’s purposes will prevail in our world.
It request of God regarding our temporal needs (Give us this day our daily bread" means all our genuine needs as humans).
The Lord’s Prayer then asks God to forgive us our sins (if) we forgive others who have harmed us.
It then asks for our protection from sin and evil.
Basically, what Jesus taught in this prayer, is 1) honoring God, 2) asking pardon for sins pardon, and 3) petition for our spiritual and temporal needs.

You can pray thus through formal prayer like the Lord’s Prayer, or in your own words
It is also good for your relationship with God to be very natural and sincere in the way you speak in your own words about all that is in your heart and mind.
God loves and understands you so come to God as the person you are.

Lord please draw Jonni deep into Your Heart and Life

I appreciate your question, I think many struggle. I sing in the car. Every day to and from work I sing songs from Mass… Glory to God, Holy, Holy, Holy, and a version of the Our Father. I am not a great singer, I just find it gets me in the right mindset to then offer up my prayers of thanks giving, or ask Jesus to provide guidance and help in specific areas.
But do NOT meditate while driving. :wink:

Saying the Lord’s prayer every day is a wonderful practice. I heard this year or read it somewhere to try to imaging Jesus teaching it and saying it with Mary his mother and you be there to join them. See if the words take on a deeper meaning…

Try to get yourself into setting a daily prayer time routine. Start by just say your Our Father & then progress to adding a Hail Mary & then a Glory Be. Try aiming for the same time each day.

Hi Jonni,

Welcome to the Forum. :slight_smile:

Jonni, I don’t think that there is any specific “formula” to praying. I mean this in the sense that don’t be too hard on yourself for trying to get it “figured out.” :slight_smile:

You will probably figure out what kinds of prayers you like praying best for you, and at what time of day, and so on.

Here is what I do for me, and I hope that you find something helpful out of it:

I often find prayer books, prayer print-outs, and leaflets to be helpful to me.

Sometimes I will start off with the prayers in the book, and then I will be inspired to pray on my own. I also like the prayers of the saints. You can find some of these on-line too–a particular prayer that a saint was known for reciting.

If you are interested in any kind of prayer book, you can usually find them at a Catholic book store or at a Catholic catalog website, if you don’t have a book store in your area.

There is also the Chaplet of Divine Mercy that Jesus gave to us through St. Faustina. That you can pray on regular Rosary beads.

If you have the chance to go to Adoration before the Blessed Sacrament, I recommend it. This is what I would do when I could. I would spend quiet time with the Lord.

If you can’t get to Adoration, then I would try and go to Mass early and just sit quietly before the Lord and pray in church.

Your body is temple of Holy Spirit (1 Cor. 6:19-20).
God is inside us, very close. No need to look for God anywhere else to close to God.

Pray rosary continously as you can.
Do as the Father’s will like testimony for Jesus and charity…

God bless,

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Holy Michael the Archangel defend us in the day of battle.
Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host,
by the Power of God,
thrust down to hell satan and all the wicked spirits,
who wander through the world for the ruin of souls.
Amen.

Remember, O most loving Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone fled to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession and was left forsaken. Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To you I come, before you I stand, a sorrowful sinner. Despise not my words, O Mother of the Word, but in your mercy, hear and answer me.
Amen

Praying that the Lord may grant you guidance and draw you closer to Himself through your prayer life.

O Blood and Water, which gushed forth from the Heart of Jesus as a fountain of Mercy for us, I trust in You!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.