Prayers/advice on demonic oppression

My husband and I just joined the church at Easter and we are expecting our first child and we are very excited to be raising our child in the Catholic faith.

However, some things have been happening to me for the last few months since beginning RCIA classes. Please bear with me.

Over the past few weeks prior to the Vigil, I have has adverse feelings in Mass. It began as dizziness and has now escalated to severe discomfort.

From the moment I enter the church I am dizzy and once the priest begins consecrating the Eucharist I get so nauseous that I fear I will have to leave. I also have a heart condition and it begins to hurt. I stick through it and as soon as the Eucharist touches my tongue it stops instantly.

My husband and I have had two homes plagued with flies. Hundreds of them. I grew up on a farm and I have never seen so many flies in my life. We sprayed them and they left, but when we moved to another home, over 100 miles away, they showed up again.

I remember when I was very young hearing strange whispering voices. I ignored them as I got older.

I have reoccurring violent dreams that I am being scratched and poked and pulled or that I am in dark places.

In February I had the flu and had a very high fever one night. I hallucinated that demons were above my bed scratching me and I can still hear their cackling laugh of mockery. I prayed the Our Father in my head and it immediately stopped.

I have been trying to pray the rosary every evening but I get so out of breath that I have to lay down and I can’t even speak. I have to read it. As soon as I finish the last decade it stops instantly.

At the Vigil I kept hearing voices and thoughts that were not my own saying leave, this is false, they are lying to you. It’s a cult. Just walk away. You don’t ever have to come back. I knew that this wasn’t what I wanted. I have wanted to join the church since I began RCIA classes in October.

I have not had any morning sickness with my pregnancy either.

I am very frightened and am not sure what to do. I feel like I’m living a lie because I go through the day as if nothing is wrong and then I’m being tortured at night or at Mass. I plan on telling my priest at confession on Saturday. Any advice on what this might be?

I don’t have much experience with these things, but I can tell you that the enemy ups his game against those who are seeking to escape his grip - especially into the Catholic church. It is very common for those discerning Catholicism to experience attacks (though not necessarily this type of demonic oppression - I’m thinking it wouldn’t hurt to speak to an exorcist.)

Definitely speak to your priest about it, and if he doesn’t take you seriously, then speak to another priest about it, and on and on. (And tell your doctor about the dizziness too - it sounds situational, but it’s good to be sure. It couldn’t be incense, could it?)

In the meantime, ask your Guardian Angel for help and pray for the intercession of Padre Pio and St. Gemma Galgani - they both experienced frequent and sometimes violent attacks by demons.

My priest is wonderful and has helped a handful of people through demonic oppression before. I feel confident he can help. I just need advice on what to do until Saturday when I can speak to him.Thank you for the references and prayer suggestions!

How do I even bring it up? I’m a bit embarrassed that it if even affecting me. Do I tell him that I think I’m suffering from oppression or just tell him I am having strange experiences and let him decide what it might be?

If you feel a sense of urgency, why not make a phone call or send an email before Saturday? I found this website that might be able to help a bit. Just be very careful - you don’t want to take on more than you can handle by yourself. That’s why I thought it would be a good idea to ask for the intercession of your Guardian Angel and the Saints who know your situation and what you need.

exorcismus.org/simple-exorcisms/343-breaking-curses

Are you able to get to an Adoration Chapel? You might go there and say some of the prayers on the above website.

As far as what to say - you know him better than I. It sounds like he’s going to be receptive, so whatever you feel comfortable with sharing. Say you are afraid you might be under demonic oppression and want to talk to him about it. No need to feel embarrassed.

Yes, as DAML had suggested, I think it would be better to make a phone call and try to set up an appointment to talk to him earlier than Saturday if possible. And I believe this kind of stuff that is happening is normal, usually though, it happens to those that are interested or desiring to enter the Church (but haven’t yet).

The only other thing I can suggest is wearing a blessed sacramental, or blessed crucifix around your neck.

Oh my…wow. I will be praying for you. I suggest you go to Mass as often as possible, and when you feel bad, tell the demons in the Name of Jesus Christ to leave immediately, and plead that the Blood of Christ be poured over your house, family, and bodies. Continue praying the rosary, daily at least, more if you find time. This is an emergency and I agree an excorcist wouldn’t hurt. Get your house blessed. Buy some holy water and put it in your house. Get a miraculous medal and a St. Benedict medal, both cheap, and get them blessed. Then wear them around your neck. Both medals help, one invokes Mary’s aid, the other is a powerful spirirtual warfare aid, proclaiming allegiance to God. If you feel too nauseous to pray at a moment, say Jesus I Trust In You, or Jesus I Love You, simple prayers. Read psalm 23, or psalm 91, both are powerful. talk to a priest. also, get people praying for you, good protestants, other catholics. If you feel doubt to the faith as i have at times, you could re visit some classes and see through intellect that it is the true church. When my faith is clouded i use my intellect and logical reasoning to build it back up. Also get any occultic stuff out of your house. New age books, crystals, books against the catholic church, satanic church publications, any ouiji boards, tarot cards, majic or sorcery tools, get out any occultic symbols, just get rid of them. Replace them with shrines, prayer cards, blessed palms, prayer cards, pictures of holy people, statues of christ or mary or saints, and stop listening to sinful music of any type. Listen to christian music. (whether u like hip hop or rock or metal or country or pop there is a christian version of it). And I will pray for you! Good luck, God Bless! :slight_smile: Hope this helped.

oh! one more thing…receive sacraments. Anoining of the sick, confession, eucharist, ect. This will be harder if you are not catholic, but even so, visit an adoration chapel and pray the rosary there. its so peaceful and Jesus is really there. No demons wanna confront THAT.
pray all the time.

DAML had already made some good points here, but I would urge u to make a phone call and try to set up an appointment to talk with the priest (the sooner the better), since your talk with him could take a while. I wonder, too, if he may need to exorcize u or something. In any case, please try not to get overly worried about this. You really don’t want to give too much attention to the demon. Just try to carry on with your life like normal; so pray like u normally would, and remember that so long as u are faithful to the Lord, He will be faithful to u in return and will not give u any more than u can handle. :slight_smile:

Anyway, the only other thing I can suggest is wearing a blessed sacramental, or blessed crucifix around your neck.

This link is from an anticatholic site, so dont explore the rest of the site its not good. this is the one page that i love, as it has so many useful prayers. Pray them often. And if you wanna see the rest of the site its interesting but definetyl NOT catholic, its against the catholic church so dont take the theology too seriously. but the prayer suggestions are amazing. I highly suggest you write some of these down. :slight_smile:
demonbuster.com/daily.html

Sounds like demonic oppression you see demons can attach themselves to certain people or places or objects, the flies are a classic sign of opression other animals involved can be hordes of crows or ravens, large black dogs being seen or following you and the nausea at the sight of Our Lord’s body is a red flag seek out deliverance prayers, talk to your priest if he seems unwilling to help call other parishes seek out priests ordained before Vatican ll these priests seem more willing to offer deliverance in my experience since they come from a time when evil was to fought And be ready to get a psychiatric evaluation some priests won’t perform deliverance without proof you are not schizophrenic or bipolar, but in my opinion your hallucinations, nausea and the voices are very credible since I’ve experienced similar occurences, my best advice it to get print out a copy of St. Anthony’s brief and carry it on your person, put blessed salt in your home the windows especially, hand st. benedict medals in every window, the crucifix in every room the sight of your Lord makes demons uncomfortable, also they tend to flee from Our Lady of Guadalupe as well sacrementals are not to be used superstitiously but they are powerful aids against the darkness. Say the St. Micheal prayer often especially when tempted or in danger, pray to Our Lord often, the rosary, and the chaplet of Divine mercy are powerful as well. Try to receive Our Lord daily if possible if not the anima christi should be used as a sort of spiritual communion.
I’ve been through something similar but mine was very violent attacks being pinched waking up with bruises, not being able to wear a scapular, violent fits of rage, blacks dogs visible to me and everyone else following and the nausea you described my only problem no one would help me with it for a long time,
I’ll say a prayer for you tonight

Thanks isaacalsop for recommending this site to her:thumbsup:
I recommend this particular page of this site as well but be weary as they are anti catholic and can get extreme claiming toys, food and drink are possesed as well

the only thing I don’t like is where it says if you are not right with the lord this will not work

but a good source for basic warfare:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup

this site is good as well pwsm-ri.org/Ritual-Prayers/Laypersons-Prayers-Over-Home.html

Hey, awesome link! I could use that as well. :thumbsup: hehe God’s Army is so unstoppable. :smiley:

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Yes, I agree with this. When coming into the Church the final stretch of RCIA before Vigil I experienced a definite increase in some sort of negative pressure. It began intensely after I received ashes on Ash Wednesday. It mostly came in the form of a sense of hopelessness, tears and unexplained despair for no logical reason combined with migraine headaches and a feeling of nausea. During this time my perception of my sponsor who was wonderful became one of irritation and aggravation. It seemed like any thing she did or said was disturbing to me again for no reason. After the 3 Scrutinies of Lent it got better. Then there was one final event just before my first confession.

Why don’t you try this? This is what I did. At night before going to bed I began praying a decade of the Rosary, Our Father, Glory be, the St. Michael prayer and asked my Guardian Angel to protect me. Then I sprayed my bed with holy water before going to sleep particularly my pillow.(This was recommended to me by a dear friend.) When I did this I had no trouble and slept quietly.

Since then I have tried to stay close to the Sacraments, going to mass whenever possible daily and regularly going to Confession and Adoration. I also always wear a blessed crucifix somewhere on my person even if you don’t see it. So everything is OK now. No problems :thumbsup:

Thank you all so much for all of these great links, prayers, and advice. We have 4 crucifixes in our home, holy water, and mutliple pictures with Bible verses on them. The only occult type things I have been associated with was in grad school.

I did a research paper on how the Nazis used theatrics (my masters was in theatre) in their propoganda and ceremonies and that included occult ceremonies. It was all only for academic purposes and NEVER for personal use. I also read Fr. Amorth’s book on exorcism before this started. I guess I thought since it was from the point of view of a priest and from the church it was ok. But now I’m thinking maybe not.

I recieve the sacraments every weekend since there is not a church within 20 miles of me.

I also remember that when I was confirmed at the Vigil, I kept thinking how much I didn’t want the oil on my head and when it was placed there in the sign of the cross it felt like sandpaper on a sunburn.

Last night I had another strange occurance. I felt my arm being pulled while I was almost asleep. I jerked my arm away and my husband asked what was wrong and I told him and he said that he saw my arm rising but he just thought I was dreaming. (He is very supportive btw and has encouraged me to speak with my priest).

Should I make a list of all these symptoms for my priest? I don’t want to forget anything.

Again, thank you so much for your prayers and concerns. I am overwhelmed with gratitude that strangers would care so much and offer assistance.

I am a teacher and I will start adding a rosary to my conference period beginning today.

Yes, adding the rosary is an excellent, excellent choice! A family rosary would be even better, though. :smiley: A family that prays together, stays together as they say.

But yes, I would make a list of symptoms and everything supernatural-like that’s been going on in your life as well anything of the occult u may have participated in. All that info I’m sure the priest could use in his discernment of what may be going on.

I did a research paper on how the Nazis used theatrics (my masters was in theatre) in their propoganda and ceremonies and that included occult ceremonies. It was all only for academic purposes and NEVER for personal use. I also read Fr. Amorth’s book on exorcism before this started. I guess I thought since it was from the point of view of a priest and from the church it was ok. But now I’m thinking maybe not.

Occult ceremonies, I think, can open up the doors by just participating in them. I would never voluntarily get involved in one even if it was just “acting”.

Also, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with reading Fr. Amorth’s book on exorcism or on demons/exorcisms in general. But if u get obsessed with them, like u can’t stop thinking about them, then yes, it becomes a problem and I believe u can potentially open up doors to demonic influences.

I’ll keep u in prayer. God bless. :slight_smile:

Yes, adding the rosary is an excellent, excellent choice! A family rosary would be even better, though. :smiley: A family that prays together, stays together as they say.

But yes, I would make a list of symptoms and everything supernatural-like that’s been going on in your life as well anything of the occult u may have participated in. All that info I’m sure the priest could use in his discernment of what may be going on.

Doing a research paper that included things on the occult I don’t think is necessarily wrong. But if u started getting unhealthily interested in them during your research, then I believe it can open up some doors.

Also, I don’t think there’s anything wrong as well with reading Fr. Amorth’s book on exorcism or on demons/exorcisms in general. But if u get obsessed with them, like u can’t stop thinking about them, then yes, it becomes a problem and I believe u can potentially open up doors to demonic influences.

I’ll keep u in prayer. God bless. :slight_smile:

OK here is a true story about myself…So I had never been attacked demonically, AT ALL. No demonic nature or mortal temptation, no occultic or haunting sort of stuff. UNTIL…Until I got interested in demons. I was NOT occultic, i was catholic, a super strong one. And I started to pick up HUGE devotion to my faith, and i was obsessed with fighting the evil in pop culture, exposing satanic or occultic elements to things, and casting out demons, reading about spiritual warfare. Ive learned ALOT and that NOT bad…however i noticed suddenly i was attacked. with dreams i believe to be demonic, tons of repetitive, strong mortal temptations i still battle, and more. and as i speak im in the battle. So…I dont know whether is was “demonic obsession”, or if demons noticed i was learning things they didnt want me to know so attacked me, but either way. Beware. I suggest you learn about spiritual warfare, and that you fight it to the max. BUT remember a few things, A) we DO NOT fight the flesh or blood, and humans who sin on us are victims in the war, B) keep loving Jesus the center of your faith, not hating Satan. C) Expect demons to strike you and distract you. Its what they do, especially to a catholic growing and being trained to fight them. they dont like that. And a general rule, D) NEVER RETREAT. Spiritually this is an all or nothing battle, and in the end you lose or win everything. never retreat, never back down, never give up.
Also, yes, i would suggets you give a list of occurrences to whoever you talk to. :slight_smile: Goodluck!

I am glad u brought up your story here! Almost for sure, I would bet you were attacked by demons because u became inordinately interested in things of the demonic, and kept looking for Satanic elements in pop culture, etc. Believe me, this is not a good thing for us to do constantly, or even frequently. God does not want us to become obsessed and frequently focusing in on the demonic. He wants us to be obsessed with Him, if anything! :slight_smile: Learning about spiritual warfare is important, but we need to be careful that we don’t fall into the trap of searching out for the demonic in everything that we do or see in the world, for that is exactly what can open up doorways that we’ll wish we hadn’t opened.

The OP appears to be relatively new to her Catholic faith, so that’s why I think we should be careful about what we recommend to her. We really don’t want her or anyone for that matter to become obsessed with demons and whatnot, and think they are around every corner and influencing each every action we do. I think it would be wise if we let the OP’s priest counsel her in these matters.

You are correct in that I am new to the Catholic faith. Our RCIA teacher warned us that satan might make it difficult for us once we joined but I had no idea it could be so personal and quick and frequent.

I started praying the rosary today and I began having extremely painful sharp pains and cramping in my lower abdomen and I have a doctors appointment tomorrow check on my pregnancy. It has me terrified that something worse will happen. On the other hand I don’t want to mistake a normal temptation or happening with demonic activity. How do you differentiate one from the other?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.