Prayers and advice would be appreciated

I am at a loss as to what to do. I just returned from a parish council meeting, and our sacramental minister (he’s not our pastor, our pastor is a lay woman) just spent half an hour talking to us about how he wishes that we had married priest (which, believe it or not, I could live with) and married women priest- which isn’t possible. I know their are a lot of crazy things going on out there, and I suppose it could be worse, but it took everything I had not to throw up I was so upset.

I’ve always known that I was in a progressive parish. That’s part of the reason that I got involved in parish life, thinking that perhaps I could help stem the tide. I beginning to wonder if that was just stupid pride and that I’m kidding myself that I can help. I teach 7-8th grade catechism and it’s confirmation year, and my oldest daughter is in the class. I’m to the point that I want to cut and run- but then I have to think of the kids.

There was an incident the other day that, in the PARISH BULLETIN, there was a notice of a talk given by the woman “priest” from Spiritu Christi (I think that’s were she’s from). I’ve gone to the parish admin, and she seemed sympathetic- but I’m beginning to think that I’m being patted on the head like a child.

It’s not as if I’m a “rad trad” either. I play guitar at mass, but now I kneel during the consecration while most (not all) stand. I don’t know if it’s a good idea for me to do that though- it’s almost like I’m calling attention to myself…

Sorry to rant- I’m just feeling very very alone.

[quote=mfundis]our pastor is a lay woman

[/quote]

How can a layperson be a “pastor?” Let alone a woman?

But I sympathize with what you are going through. I drive half an hour to my parish to avoid being involved in a closer parish. I can’t begin to state all the wacky “progressive” things that take place there. I also understand your desire to stay rather than fleeing, that you feel responsible to the children. If you were not so devoted to helping them I would tell you to run as fast as you can and find a parish where things are done according to Church teaching.

Cherub,

You’re right, I should have said pastoral associate. Father calls her a pastor though- so sometime I get caught up in “progresso-speak”.

I was reading that other post re: St Joan of Arc parish. I would hate for the children of my parish to learn that type of “spirituality” (once again- “progesso-speak”). I want my kids to learn the catechism. It really breaks my heart because the people in the parish are very nice- although, who knows how nice they will continue to be to those who rock the boat…

I got involved with my parish council for the same reason. I thought maybe I could make a difference when I saw all of the liturgical abuse going on. And it’s not pride, but a desire to help so don’t beat yourself up. But a year later I am ready to resign. Nothing changes and nothing will change in a progressive parish. I go to the council meetings and all they talk about is how to bring in people to make more money. The nun who runs the RE program thinks women should be priests. The music sounds like it’s coming from the top 40 on the local
Christian station. We share a pastor with another parish and he doesn’t really have time for us. I’ve jumped ship and go to the Tridentine Mass in town. I’m much happier there.

My friend, you are not alone, and thanks to you I know that I’m not alone either!

Moira,

Part of me really REALLY wants to cut and run- but if I decide to, I’ll wait until after my daughter is confirmed. I don’t want to screw that up for her. I just hope that something of the actual church gets to these kids! It’s comforting to know others are out there- wouldn’t it be great if we were all in the same parish :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi all,

This is a post of mine from another thread. I hope it will be of some help. Here’s the thread link if you’d like to read a little more and see a picture of our clown mass! forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=19114

I have an answer to this one from Rome! Our bishop was of retirement age. Our diocese was very abuse ridden. We launched a final campaign to lobby for an orthodox replacement. We launched a website and some in our group gathered up all of the documentation and examples of abuses over the years (actually, a lot of it was recent since we were always being expose to it) and burned it onto a multi-media CD. It had video of clown masses, awful diocesan letters, letters to us from our Bishop, etc., etc., etc. They sent it off to many offices in Rome including the Pope, Cardinal Ratzinger’s office, Congragation of Bishops, etc., the Papal Nuncio. A few months later we were assigned a GREAT bishop. We wondered for a few months if anything we did helped and then Cardinal Ratzinger called a priest friend of ours to his office and asked him if he knew the people who were lobbying for an orthodox replacement. He vouched for us and Cardinal Ratzinger told him to tell us that the CD was the biggest thing to ever hit Rome and that everyone (presumably even the Pope) had seen it and it had been passed around. He also said we should spread this method to others. We had another independent confirmation of the success of the CD when one of us was vacationing in Rome. They ran into a friend who had a priest from the Congregation of Bishops with him. They were introduced as being from our diocese and the first words out of this priests mouth were “Are you the ones who put together that CD?” He said it was very helpful to see first hand what was happening in our diocese. If anyone else would like more info, please PM me.

This is todays reading.

October 26

**Reading I
**Eph 4:32–5:8

Brothers and sisters:
Be kind to one another, compassionate,
forgiving one another as God has forgiven you in Christ.

Be imitators of God, as beloved children, and live in love, as Christ loved us and handed himself over for us as a sacrificial offering to God for a fragrant aroma. Immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be mentioned among you, as is fitting among holy ones, no obscenity or silly or suggestive talk, which is out of place, but instead, thanksgiving. Be sure of this, that no immoral or impure or greedy person, that is, an idolater, has any inheritance in the Kingdom of Christ and of God.

Let no one deceive you with empty arguments, for because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the disobedient. So do not be associated with them. For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light.

JMJ

Hey I’m going through the same thing. Just tonight a fella said at our Parish Council meeting, “the Church should allow woman priest”. I replied, “dont even go there, why don’t you join the American Catholic church”

I’ve also spoken out to them about talking bad about the Pope, and that they do make me sick.

I know I need to be more charitable but we need to fight. I’ve had one meeting of many more with my Pastor about the two abuses at mass and one is getting corrected the other I’m working on.

I suggest you sit down with your priest about your concern, if it is not taken care of go to the Bishop if not then go to the Pope! Seriously. We need to not turn our backs on these abuses going on.

God Love you,

Joe

Sorry. By the way … you have my prayers! And they are on going.

Joe

bear,

It’s funny that you posted- I had read your post and was telling one of the other council members about it after the meeting last night. Once, I did try to tape RCIA- one of the priest kept calling God “she”…not just once or twice, but every time he talked about “her”. UGH. The tape didn’t turn out- and my husband dropped out of RCIA, so I haven’t been back since.

John,

I pray that I have your fortitude. I have talked with our parish admin, but only in brief conversations. I haven’t talked with our sacramental minister- I guess I haven’t been brave enough. St. Catherine, pray for us!

I did send an e-letter to the diocese once re: an ex-priest, michael morwood (weed?) who was speaking at a cluster parish of ours. Here’s a link of another parish’s summation of his talk; stjoan.com/er1/morwood/morwood.htm. (BTW, note the parish this link comes from…how timely and ironic given another post on this forum). Anyway, I never heard anything back from the diocese. Although, in their defense, I did write the letter on their “contact us” section of their web site- I’ve have a suspicions that those types of correspondence get short shrift.

[quote=mfundis]Isacramental minister (he’s not our pastor, our pastor is a lay woman) , in the PARISH BULLETIN, there was a notice of a talk given by the woman “priest” from Spiritu Christi .
[/quote]

your “pastor” is not a lay woman, although there may be a lay woman who has been appointed to serve your parish with the oxymorinic title of “pastoral administrator”. Only a priest may be a pastor because that role involves decisions and actions reserved to the ordained. The title is unfortunate and inaccurate, precisely because it leads to the confusion you describe. Your actual pastor is a priest who is assigned as vicar, in your diocese due to the priest shortage he is probably vicar over several parishes, grateful to leave day to day stuff to her, thereby short-changing you of your right to true pastoral care.

There is also no such thing as a woman priest. ONly the Catholic Church (and Orthodox who maintain apostolic succession) can ordain bishops and priests, because only the Church has the authority given by Jesus and protected by the Holy Spirit to do so. It is inconceivable that the Holy Spirit, protecting the Church from error, could call someone to serve as a priest outside the earthy institution founded by Jesus Christ.

[quote=mfundis]I am at a loss as to what to do. I just returned from a parish council meeting, and our sacramental minister (he’s not our pastor, our pastor is a lay woman) just spent half an hour talking to us about how he wishes that we had married priest (which, believe it or not, I could live with) and married women priest- which isn’t possible. I know their are a lot of crazy things going on out there, and I suppose it could be worse, but it took everything I had not to throw up I was so upset.

I’ve always known that I was in a progressive parish. That’s part of the reason that I got involved in parish life, thinking that perhaps I could help stem the tide. I beginning to wonder if that was just stupid pride and that I’m kidding myself that I can help. I teach 7-8th grade catechism and it’s confirmation year, and my oldest daughter is in the class. I’m to the point that I want to cut and run- but then I have to think of the kids.

There was an incident the other day that, in the PARISH BULLETIN, there was a notice of a talk given by the woman “priest” from Spiritu Christi (I think that’s were she’s from). I’ve gone to the parish admin, and she seemed sympathetic- but I’m beginning to think that I’m being patted on the head like a child.

It’s not as if I’m a “rad trad” either. I play guitar at mass, but now I kneel during the consecration while most (not all) stand. I don’t know if it’s a good idea for me to do that though- it’s almost like I’m calling attention to myself…

Sorry to rant- I’m just feeling very very alone.
[/quote]

First, hang in there, you’re doing God’s work. You are helping to catechize a new generation of Catholics – who won’t be heterodox like their parents.

Second, as previously noted that woman is neither a pastor nor a parochial vicar (assistant pastor.) If she advertises herself as such, I would write your bishop if she does not change her ways.

The notion of a “female priest” in your parish bulletin needs to stop. I would send a copy to your bishop with a two line cover letter.

Finally, you are a trailblazer and you need to realize the going will be tough. Perhaps you could work to slowly get other orthodox Catholics named to your parish council? It seems that progressive Catholics are far more skilled at organizing and taking over. Maybe you could turn the tide in your parish? (BTW, I think that “organizing” often begins with the poor catechesis of the youngsters…)

You have my prayers. Dominus Vobiscum.

I am also in a “progressive” parish. I am on the School Commission for the same reasons. When our new more conservative priest came in, parents had a fit because he wanted the students to go to church once a week. They thought Religion class was enough. Our marketing committee has takent “Catholic” out of the name of our school. “It gives the wrong impression”!!! It’s ok to have their labray or any cartledge pierced because “we can’t see what’s in their hearts”. Now, they think we should become more evangelical, like the independant protestant churches!!! I think this where I have to say enough!! The problem is that all the churches in our area are “progressive”. Where do we go?

It’s so funny how God works sometimes. This morning, I was looking at Catholic Exchange and saw this:catholicexchange.com/vm/index.asp?vm_id=6&art_id=25599 . I just wish that I knew what God wants me to do- so I could pray for the courage referred to in this article…if only HE has e-mail :rolleyes: .

I was going to write the bishop re: the bulletin but thought I should talk to the parish admin first (that’s when I thought the “head patting” occured…). I’ll see if I can find my copy of that bulletin and write him anyway. St Anthony, please help me find my bulletin!

It’s odd, it seems like the more orthodox a person is, the less likely that person wants to stir up the hornets. I suppose that’s what more progressive people count on. Thy try to slowly boil that proverbial frog. I was amazed last night during the meeting at how the progressives were aware that there were so many different ecclesiologies and that was a source of tension. It was mentioned that each person’s ideas should be met with “respect”…but then they went on to discuss how to get us less enlighted folks to drink the kool-aid. They “dialogue” you to death until they get they’re way- and then try to “dialogue” with a progressive. There is none so intolerant as a tolerant liberal…

In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, Amen.

Dear Blessed Mother,

God Willing, please hear and intercede for the intentions of mfundis. Please inspire all to attend Mass, pray Your Most Holy Rosary and Adoration regularly.

Here are four links I hope are helpful.

24/7 online Daily Mass
www.catholictv.com/shows/daily-mass

24/7 online Rosary in real time with all the world. Intentions may be posted. Intentions of others from around the world are posted, too, for prayers.
www.comepraytherosary.org

A Beginner’s Guide to the Rosary
catholicity.com/prayer/rosary.html

Here is an inspiring video with our dear Mother Angelica in Heaven praying The Chaplet of Saint Michael the Archangel which includes prayers to each of the 9 Legions of Angels.
youtu.be/6ZHCAHTw-AU

Before sleep, I’ll meet You in the following decades of the Luminous Mysteries. Please thank Saint Pope John Paul 2 for instituting these great mysteries about Your Son’s life.

The Baptism of Jesus by John the Baptist
Jesus’ First Miracle at the Wedding of Cana (Thanks for encouraging Him, dear Mary.)
The Proclamation (Sermon on the Mount)
The Transfiguration (Jesus told Peter & James that what happens on the mountain, stays on the mountain … until further notice.)
The Institution of the Eucharist (Even after thousands of years, we can unite with Him in Body & Spirit anywhere around the world. Please thank Him again, for this awesome gift.)

In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.