Prayers and how they affect things?

If someone doesn’t pray for something, does that mean that that something does not happen? And how might the answer to that question affect someone’s moral responsibility regarding the thing prayed for.

For instance, if I wanted to pray to save children from abortion, but then I forget does that mean that the children who would’ve been saved are no longer saved and that I abdicated moral responsibility or not?

As He says “Ask and you shall receive, Knock and the door shall be opened.” When we pray we pray out of Love b/c that is what God is “Love” It is a responsibility of ours to pray to God and be thankful. If you simply say “God please save the unborn” that is prayer b/c you are asking him but if you neglect to pray then you haven’t asked him anything. Forgetting to pray is venial unless you put something above God so as you are aware that you neglected to pray then it is mortal. My advise pray and believe!!! God Bless!!!

In general, prayer is best when it asks for spiritual gifts. In other words, instead of praying to “Pass a test”, you pray for God to take away the anxiety you have regarding the test and have the gift of sereneness. With regard to your question about abortion, you should pray to God for the expectant mothers to keep the gift of love in regard to the children in their wombs and to have the fortitude to withstand the people telling them to kill their children. God knows what we need before we ask, actually, and sends us what we need regardless. Prayer helps us to be able to discern how God is acting in our lives, and to accept the help that God gives us. As for the unborn, we all have a moral obligation to do what we can to protect all human life, and the unborn are the most helpless of human life. As such, we have a moral obligation to do what we can to protect them, and prayer helps. However, if you simply forget one day to pray for the unborn, I wouldn’t fret about it as long as it wasn’t an intentional shirking of responsibility. God knows your intent.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.