Prayers desperately needed

Please pray for my co-worker who was diagnosed 45 days ago with stage IV lung cancer, she didn’t want to start an experimentel chemotherapy drug but was talked into it. After 3 treatments she has developed an allergic reaction to the chemo and now has a chemical burn over most of her body (which acts like a 3rd degree burn). Because of the reaction she has been removed from the program and now there is nothing they can give her, she is on morphine for pain, not much hope left. I gave her a medal of St Peregrine that she keeps pinned to her hospital gown.
Her name is Susan F. Please remember her in your prayers.
maggiec

I am praying for her. :gopray:

[quote=maggiec]Please pray for my co-worker who was diagnosed 45 days ago with stage IV lung cancer, she didn’t want to start an experimentel chemotherapy drug but was talked into it. After 3 treatments she has developed an allergic reaction to the chemo and now has a chemical burn over most of her body (which acts like a 3rd degree burn). Because of the reaction she has been removed from the program and now there is nothing they can give her, she is on morphine for pain, not much hope left. I gave her a medal of St Peregrine that she keeps pinned to her hospital gown.
Her name is Susan F. Please remember her in your prayers.
maggiec
[/quote]

Will add her to our prayers. My husbands cousin was also just diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer. I will be sure to remember as she lives in TX also.
God Bless,
Marie

I, too, will remember Susan in my prayers. Has she looked into any type of naturopathic care? I know in many cases they can help manage the pain without so many heavy drugs. Is she a woman of faith? Is she looking forward to eternal life?

If she is so inclined to receive it, you may want to provide her with information on redemptive suffering. There are some good threads here with info on it. Simply, she can offer her suffering and pain to God for the good of others – whether it’s someone specific in her life, or just for the salvation of all souls. By joining her suffering to that of Jesus, she will have meaning in her pain. Jesus came to sanctify all suffering, and we are to follow Him and imitate Him in all things.

I’ll add Susan and Marie’s husband’s cousin to my prayers.

She, her family, and friends are in my prayers.

You may want to get her a crucifix or a picture of the crucified Jesus which she can look at from her bed. Encourage her to offer her suffering to Jesus.

I will pray for her…here’s a suggestion though. I know a guy who has had cancer twice. THe fisrt time he got the burns like your friend has. The second time, not wanting to go through it again, he drank nothing but carrot juice and water and ate carrots ALL the time, among other things, but carrots were his main diet when he was on chemo. He didn’t get the burns at all. When my dad was on chemo, he did that as well, and he didnt get burns. You turn orange but apparently it works. when the burns are better, tell her about the carrot diet, btu do some research first… I hope that helped.

Greetings Church

Your friend is in my prayers, as well.
I had surgery 4 months ago, followed by 7 weeks of radiation for stage 2 non small cell lung cancer. We believe they got it all. However, I am also on an experimental drug called Iressa. This drug is being used on advanced cases with some degree of success. You can do a search for it on line. The double blind clinical trial I am in is for early stage lung cancer. The drug has never been used this way before.
There are a number of clinical trials out there for advanced lung cancer. Go to City of Hope website and also University of California Davis. Most University with big medical schools are involved in some one way or another.

When I was in Radiation was the time I really could pray. In fact during my treatments. My prayer partners were the Blessed Mother, St Martin de Porres, St Jude, Mother Teresa, Padre Pio and a very holy Priest who died a few years ago from cancer, Fr Steven Barham. I also asked my baby Michael who is with the Lord to pray for me.

I will go before the Lord with these wonderful Saints and saints for your friend.

One further thing. During my illness, not one single person from my parish called, sent a note or came to see me. Yes, they knew I was ill. If this lady is Catholic, in order to avoid the hurt I felt, please let the Parish know she needs consolation.

She’s in my thoughts and prayers, as are you and her family.

I will put a prayer card in at Perpetual Adoration at my parish, for Susan, Marie’s husband and for Robertaf. There will be at the very least, 168 people praying every week, round the clock.

That is very sad Robertaf, that no one from your parish visited or sent a note. Very hurtful for you. You have many friends on the forum, that will be keeping you in their prayers. During serious illnesses, sometimes people that care, are afraid that they might say the wrong thing or may feel that they don’t know what to say, when just sitting and being there for the person is all that is needed.

God bless all of you,
Annie

Thanks to all of you and your prayers. We can’t visit Susan at this time because of her open wounds. It seems that we all have many family and friends that have suffered this terrible disease.
I myself have lost my mom and dad, my sister(at 34 years old with 7 children) my first husband and many friends.
Susan lost her sister 5 years ago to lung cancer, Susan is an RN and she understands that she doesn’t have a very good chance. She was diagnosed pretty late.
Susan is not catholic, but she has a deep faith, and because I’m the only catholic in our practice she has asked me much about my faith. She and I have talked much about the fact that God can and does work miracles. Most at our office laughed about the St Peregrine medal I gave her, but she has it pinned to her hospital gown. I would love to see a cure to show my non catholic co-workers that God, through the intercession of the Saints and our Mother and the perfect gift of salvation that Jesus gave us in sacrificing His life for our us, and our belief in the above can and does save us both spiritually and physically.
Thank you again for all of your prayers.
maggiec

[quote=robertaf]Greetings Church

I had surgery 4 months ago, followed by 7 weeks of radiation for stage 2 non small cell lung cancer. We believe they got it all. However, I am also on an experimental drug called Iressa. This drug is being used on advanced cases with some degree of success. You can do a search for it on line. The double blind clinical trial I am in is for early stage lung cancer. The drug has never been used this way before.
There are a number of clinical trials out there for advanced lung cancer. Go to City of Hope website and also University of California Davis. Most University with big medical schools are involved in some one way or another.

When I was in Radiation was the time I really could pray. In fact during my treatments. My prayer partners were the Blessed Mother, St Martin de Porres, St Jude, Mother Teresa, Padre Pio and a very holy Priest who died a few years ago from cancer, Fr Steven Barham. I also asked my baby Michael who is with the Lord to pray for me.

I will go before the Lord with these wonderful Saints and saints for your friend.

One further thing. During my illness, not one single person from my parish called, sent a note or came to see me. Yes, they knew I was ill. If this lady is Catholic, in order to avoid the hurt I felt, please let the Parish know she needs consolation.
[/quote]

I am so sorry for the lack of kindness and caring you have experienced from your parish. Know that you are loved and very much cared about. I will add you to my daily rosary. May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
maggiec

Roberta,

I too apologize for all the pain you received. May God forgive those who he asked to come and did not, and may those who are being asked to come respond to his call.

For Susan and all of you may the hand of God rest upon you and bring you healing to total health, sustaining your body until you reach perfection in Christ. May he grant strength to your family, including Roberta’s husband and bring them peace. In the mighty name of Jesus. Amen

<<<One further thing. During my illness, not one single person from my parish called, sent a note or came to see me. Yes, they knew I was ill. If this lady is Catholic, in order to avoid the hurt I felt, please let the Parish know she needs consolation>>>

**I am so sorry about this…When I had my heart attack, no one in my parish called, wrote a note or brought any food to the house. It was the wonderful people from the Evangelical church my husband attends who did all those things…The choir, which I was a part of, brought meals for two weeks. **

**Hate to say it, but this is one reason Catholics leave for Evangelical churches. **

Please be assured of my prayers for Susan and I will say a Rosary for her.

[quote=robertaf]Greetings Church

[/quote]

robertaf,
My prayers are with you also. My first husband died w/ lung cancer (same kind) only he was stage IV when discovered; but that was 14 years ago…so many strides have been made since then. :slight_smile:

:gopray2:

Susan F be blest by God our Heavenly Father to come to Him if that is His will or be cured if that be His will

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be
done, on earth as it is in heaven Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our
trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation
but deliver us from evil. Amen

Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with thee
blessed art thou among women and
blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus
Holy Mary mother of God pray for us
sinners now and at the hour of our death
Amen.

Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning is now ever shall be world without end Amen

A special prayer to St. Peregrine for Susan…

Litany to St. Peregrine

Lord, have mercy on us.
Christ, have mercy on us.
Lord, have mercy on us.
Christ, hear us. Christ, graciously hear us.

God, the Father of Heaven, have mercy on us.
God, the Son, Redeemer of the world, have mercy on us.
God, the Holy Spirit, have mercy on us.
Holy Trinity, one God, have mercy on us.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us.
Mother of Sorrows, pray for us.
Health of the sick, pray for us.
Comforter of the afflicted, pray for us.
Help of Christians, pray for us.

St. Peregrine, pray for us.
Converted by the prayers of St. Philip, pray for us.
Afflicted with a cancerous growth, pray for us.
Completely cured by the outstretched hand of Jesus Crucified, pray for us.
Who performed many miracles in thy lifetime, pray for us.
Who multiplied food and drink, pray for us.
Who cured the sick by the power of the Name of Jesus, pray for us.
Who converted hardened sinners by prayer and fasting, pray for us.
Who received every favor thou asked of God, pray for us.

Most confident in prayer, pray for us.
Most austere in penance, pray for us.
Most patient in suffering, pray for us.
Most humble in the holy priesthood, pray for us.
Most zealous for souls, pray for us.
Most kind toward the afflicted, pray for us.
Most devoted to the Passion of Jesus and the Sorrows of Mary, pray for us.

Victim with Jesus and Mary for the salvation of souls, pray for us.
Wonder-worker for the sick and diseased, pray for us.
Hope of incurable cases, pray for us.
Universal patron of all who suffer from cancer, pray for us.
Beloved Patron of Spain, Glory of the Order of the Servants of Mary, pray for us.

Lamb of God, Who takes away the sins of the world,
Spare us, O Lord.

Graciously hear us O Lord.

Have mercy on us.

V. Pray for us, O glorious St. Peregrine,
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Let us pray:

O God, be gracious and hear the prayers which we present to Thee in honor of
St. Peregrine, Thy beloved servant. May we who do not rely on our own merits receive help in our needs through the intercession of him whose life was so pleasing to Thee. Through Christ, our Lord.

Amen.

Hugs to you my friend for what you are going through. You have a caring heart or you would not be here asking for help. I’m truly sorry for the trials. Love, Sheila

***Oh glorious apostle St. Jude, faithful servant and friend of Jesus, the name of the traitor who delivered thy beloved Master into the hands of His enemies has caused thee to be forgotten by many, but the Church honors and invokes thee universally as the patron of hopeless cases–of things despaired of. Pray for me who am so miserable; make use, I implore thee, of that particular privilege accorded thee of bringing visible and speedy help where help is almost despaired of. Come to my assistance in this great need, that I may receive the consolations and succor of heaven in all my necessities, tribulations and sufferings, and help with the forgiveness of sins, that I may bless God with thee and all the elect throughout eternity. I promise thee, O blessed St. Jude, to be ever mindful of this great favor, and I will never cease to honor thee as my special and powerful patron, and to do all in my power to encourage devotion to thee. Amen:highprayer:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.