Prayers for a troubled marriage

Hi
I just signed on to this site. My husband and I have been together for 4 1/2 years. We have 2 wonderful kids. He was baptized Catholic, but grew up with no formation. He has started RCIA 3 times and only makes it to the first meeting, then it gets pushed down on the priority list. Things have been getting more and more strained between us in the last several months. Now it's looking like a (hopefully temporary) separation. He doesn't want to go see our priest or a counsellor. I'm desperate for a change in his heart- he's a police officer and very hardened, I think, from his work. I've long since stopped pushing him to go to RCIA, let alone Mass with us. But I know he has a good heart and if he would let God in, he would be so much happier. I'm asking for any prayers and please know, any of you experiencing these problems that you are in my prayers as well! Thank you all so much!

Agnes, welcome to CAF.

May God give you peace.

Lord, as the marriage relationship is strained and Agnes’ husband is beyond having interest in deepening his relationship with You in the Church at this time, please send Your Holy Spirit to begin the healing that may be necessary both to Agnes and her husband, to their marriage, and to their children.

[FONT=Verdana]Our God, through the love and merit of Jesus and Mary, I offer You all my spouse’s good deeds, sacrifices and trials, in prayer for his salvation, fulfillment, happiness and peace.

I offer every frustration and disappointment, all sadness and suffering of his life, together with his pleasures, satisfactions, and achievements. In Your mercy, please unite him fully with the Mystical Body so that his life is a living prayer pleasing in Your sight.

If in any way, I fail to convey Your love to him, or I do not enrich his life with warm gifts of my nature, please forgive me and heal him.

Guide me to give him the love, joy and goodness that you have united us to share, and lead him to love me freely and honestly.

Please forgive and overcome his doubt. Open him to Your Spirit. Let him experience the fullness Your truth, so that he enters into sacramental faith and dedicated Christian ministry. I ask this in the name of Your beloved Son Jesus. [/FONT]

Hail Mary
Full of grace
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary
Mother of God
pray for us sinners now
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Loving God, look upon the suffering in this family, and bring about all that is needed to bring kindness, unity, and peace into Agnes' marriage relationship.
Holy Spirit please guide this couple in their feelings, thoughts, and decisions.
Please surround them and their children with Your light and love.
Thank You

[quote="agnes09, post:1, topic:178888"]
Hi
I just signed on to this site. My husband and I have been together for 4 1/2 years. We have 2 wonderful kids. He was baptized Catholic, but grew up with no formation. He has started RCIA 3 times and only makes it to the first meeting, then it gets pushed down on the priority list. Things have been getting more and more strained between us in the last several months. Now it's looking like a (hopefully temporary) separation. He doesn't want to go see our priest or a counsellor. I'm desperate for a change in his heart- he's a police officer and very hardened, I think, from his work. I've long since stopped pushing him to go to RCIA, let alone Mass with us. But I know he has a good heart and if he would let God in, he would be so much happier. I'm asking for any prayers and please know, any of you experiencing these problems that you are in my prayers as well! Thank you all so much!

[/quote]

Hi Agnes,

Welcome to CAF and will certainly keep you and your Husband in prayer...

On this Feast Day of the Immaculate Conception we pray..

Hail Mary
Full of grace
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary
Mother of God
pray for us sinners now
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

So many wonderful people out there! I will never despair of humanity with souls like these around!! Thank you all so much. My husband and I are meeting with a catholic marriage counsellor tomorrow- a step in the right direction, I hope. I have the green scapular and Our Lady is already working on his heart, I know.
Trishie, your words and prayers are such a comfort, thank you. Your husband is a very blessed man!
Going to say a rosary while the kids are napping. You will all be in my prayers, thank you!

Welcome Agnes and what a good wife you are!
May God bless you,your husband and your family.I pray all goes well with the counsellor tomorrow.
God bless

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come, Thy Will be done, on earth as it as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day, our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive
those who trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation, but
deliver us from evil.
Amen

Lord please have mercy upon the suffering in this family,
heal all that is amiss,
and bring about all that is needed to bring kindness, unity, and peace into Agnes' marriage relationship.
Holy Spirit please guide this couple in their feelings, thoughts, and decisions.
Please surround them and their children with Your light and love.
Thank You Lord

Praying hard for the success of your marriage.

Saint Anthony, Performer of Miracles
Dear St. Anthony, your prayers obtained miracles during your lifetime. You still seem to move at ease in the realm of minor and major miracles. St. Anthony, Performer of Miracles, please obtain for me the blessings God holds in reserve who serve Him. Pray that I may be worthy of the promises my Lord Jesus attaches to confident prayer. For Agnes and her husband

Dear Lord, thank you for moving Agnes’ husband’s heart to meet with a Catholic marriage counselor. I am so pleased to hear this! I pray that this couple is able to get the help that they need to make their marriage work again. May they know how much they need each other and truly love each other, and may they grow into the most happy and holy of couples. With your grace they can, so please help Agnes’ husband to pray and to go through with his RCIA formation so he can receive your abundant graces in the sacraments and find true peace and joy in his life with his wife Agnes at his side to love him and help stengthen him in his faith. Thank you, Lord, for hearing my prayer. Amen.

Hi Agnes and welcome to the forum. I hope things went well with the counselors for both of you. My sister was married to a police officer and I understand what you said in your first post. At least your husband is willing to meet with counselors and try to improve your marriage. Her husband, somewhat like yours, at first did not want to go to Mass. He did become a Catholic before marrying her only because he felt he had to, but his heart was not in it and he did it for the wrong reasons, so I think you are very wise in not pressuring your husband and allowing the Holy Spirit to guide your husband and when he is ready, he will let you know and it will be better that way. He can’t later blame you that you pressured him to join the Church as my sister’s ex does now. He continues to call himself a Catholic, but is remarried without an annulment and never goes to Mass. So it is best to wait when they are ready.

The best thing you can do is pray for him and now you have all of us praying for him as well. We won’t give up praying for him and hopefully one day, the Lord will touch his heart to come Home to the Church. I notice with police officers and I am not saying that this is with all of them, it is a little difficult due to the job they have, to surrender their will to God. They have a lot of pride and have to have a lot of control of their life. This sometimes interferes with the Christian way of life. At least this is what a good Christian Catholic cop told me was his difficultly of letting go when he had to. I had two cops in our family and both are not divorce. I know of a good Catholic police officer who has had a long happy marriage and is a member of the Knights of the Columbus and a deacon in our Church. So it is possible. It takes work, as he has told me. He is a good man. Pray for your husband and don’t give up and be the best example of Christ you can be. That can be difficult for us wives, at least it is for me.

You and your husband will be in my prayers. I too have a difficult marriage, and try to be an example of Christ too. It is not easy, boy it is not easy! May God give us all patience.
Stay strong and pray with faith in what you ask of the Lord you will receive.:wink:

Our Father which art in Heaven, hollowed be thy name
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done
On earth as it is in Heaven

Give us this day, our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who trespass against us

Lead us not into temptation
But deliver us from evil

Amen

Remembering you in my prayers.

Continued prayers for Agnes and husband
The Memorare

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession, was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To you I come; before you I stand sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate! Despise not my petitions, but in your mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

A MARRIAGE BLESSING PRAYER
We thank you, O God, for the Love You have implanted in our hearts. May it always inspire us to be kind in our words, considerate of feeling, and concerned for each other’s needs and wishes. Help us to be understanding and forgiving of human weaknesses and failings. Increase our faith and trust in You and may Your Prudence guide our life and love. Bless our Marriage O God, with Peace and Happiness, and make our love fruitful for Your glory and our Joy both here and in eternity. Amen

I am overwhelmed with gratitude for all the prayers!! The meeting went very well- we both agreed. After a week of panicked despair, I have hope! He is willing to go beside me and try to mend the gap that has formed between us. I know that working together we can heal- the counsellor had such words of encouragement too. We meet again on Tues. afternoon, and I think we're both looking forward to it- we've got the highest hurdle behind us now.
Can anyone recommend a good, solid book that might light a fire in Zac's heart? He does like to read- someone mentioned "The Lamb's Supper" by Scott Hahn- I haven't read it and I'm afraid it may be too deep into Catholicism for him, but I know S.H. is an amazing author and teacher.
I will remember all of you tonight as I say my rosary. Thank you all so very much! I'm reminded of the quote from the patroness of our church: "Be who you are and you will set the world ablaze." -St. Catherine of Siena You have all turned up the fire in my own heart, I can't imagine what you are doing to the people physically around you!! God bless!

[quote="agnes09, post:17, topic:178888"]
I am overwhelmed with gratitude for all the prayers!! The meeting went very well- we both agreed. After a week of panicked despair, I have hope! He is willing to go beside me and try to mend the gap that has formed between us. I know that working together we can heal- the counsellor had such words of encouragement too. We meet again on Tues. afternoon, and I think we're both looking forward to it- we've got the highest hurdle behind us now.
Can anyone recommend a good, solid book that might light a fire in Zac's heart? He does like to read- someone mentioned "The Lamb's Supper" by Scott Hahn- I haven't read it and I'm afraid it may be too deep into Catholicism for him, but I know S.H. is an amazing author and teacher.
I will remember all of you tonight as I say my rosary. Thank you all so very much! I'm reminded of the quote from the patroness of our church: "Be who you are and you will set the world ablaze." -St. Catherine of Siena You have all turned up the fire in my own heart, I can't imagine what you are doing to the people physically around you!! God bless!

[/quote]

My husband recommends that he reads *Crossing the Threshold of Hope *by Pope John Paul the II. *The Immitation of Christ *by Thomas A. Kempis is great as well.

I hope that helps.

I am happy to hear things went well.

As far as books for marriages try For Better For Forever by Gregory K. Popcak, MSW, LCSW. He is a Catholic Social Worker. I am also listening to an audiobook called Love and Respect but they are not Catholic, but good. You can check out some of their free videos on their websites at www.loveandrespect.com. (loveandrespect.com/content/weekly_Movies.php?Category=1)

Agnes this is good news.You are both still in my prayers.

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession, was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To you I come; before you I stand sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate! Despise not my petitions, but in your mercy hear and answer me. Amen.

closed #20

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.