Prayers for Cannonization?

I have seen a number of threads on CAF that are prayers for cannonization or beatification of various people. I understand that these people are noted for their faith and the manner in which they lived it.

I don’t understand the meaning of the prayers.

Are they parallel to praying for someone in purgatory, or are they asking God to make it known that these people are already in heaven so that they may be declared Saints?

I have seen prayer cards given out asking people to pray for miracles that will help in the cannonization process, are those the same?

Thank you

You answered your own question. They are to ask God to make it known that those saintly souls are in Heaven, by performing miracles through their intercession. Miracles are required to be performed, in order to declare anyone a Saint in the Catholic Church. Then, the miracle is scrupulously documented and it’s verified that the miracle was received through that holy person’s intercession, and not through the intercession of any other Saint. And, they are researched for verification purposes by medical professionals, to be sure that they were not cures that happened through any spontaneous natural healing, either by medication, or any other natural means. They submit the information to several medical resources, doctors, technicians, etc., who are experts in the appropriate fields so they can submit their opinion as to what might have caused the cure, of whatever it was, to happen.

If it’s agreed that the condition was highly unlikely or impossible to have been cured under the circumstances, then it *might *be declared a miracle, depending on those opinions. If there’s any serious doubts anywhere along that process, it gets thrown out.

My explanation is just scratching the surface. If you want a lot more information about the whole process, you will find it here, on the New Advent website. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link!

You’re very welcome. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

You’re very welcome. :smiley:

I know it’s a very looooong article, but it does give a good idea of what the Church requires before declaring anyone a Saint. It’s not nearly as easy as some people seem to think.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.