Prayers for Healing a Broken Heart

I have recently caught my boyfriend in a lie. We have been having problems for some time now, but we both agreed to work through them. For the past few weeks, he was telling me that he was sick, throat was hurting, and couldn’t talk much. He even told me that he was in the hospital for a few days to account for the days that I couldn’t get in touch with him.
Then I found it out was all a lie…and that there is nothing even wrong with his voice. I learned quite a few things about him in the past few days. A person that I loved with all my heart for over a year, who I thought I really knew…was someone that I really didn’t know at all. The whole relationship has been a lie and I now have reason to believe that he has been cheating on me for months. Which would explain the reason things have been going downhill.
But he always made it seem like it was my fault we were arguing so much. That if he was “making the effort” and things didn’t change, then it had to be me.
Lately it just seems like he’s just waiting for me to break up with him so he doesn’t have to do it.

Anyhow, to cut to the chase, I am hurting and feel like such a fool for letting him string me along and play me like that.
In the past few weeks, I have turned back to my faith after a 10 year hiatus. I have been looking for a way to heal. Right now I’m so angry and hurt and just want him to hurt as much as I’m hurting. But I can see that it’s not bothering him at all and I’m only hurting myself. I’m truely scared of being alone.

I have been praying hard for help through all these emotions and for God to show me the way.
I ask for your help in prayer so that I may find my way.

I would also like to ask for anyone’s reference on a good book that I could reference or read to help me through this time and daily trials in my life. I’ve started out with a good one - Saintly Solutions - but there’s nothing in there for mending a broken heart.

Thank you,
Maria

Dear Maria,
My prayers go out to you. While I don’t have a book to recommend to help the hurt, I will recommend a couple of books that might help you find true and lasting love…Real Love by Mary Beth Bonaci and Theology of the Body for Beginners by Christopher West.

I am so sorry for your hurt.  Praying for your peace.

Kathy

Immaculate Mary, please fill the void in Maria’s heart in this time of hurt and angst. Take her by the hand to the comforting and healing touch of your Son Jesus. May she have joy and comfort with the Lord, now and forever. Amen. :gopray2:

Prayers that Jesus, the source of all Love, may fill all your emptiness with His love, presence and peace. May you come to know Him during this time of loss, as your All in All. May you be blessed with a love soon that will be true and lasting in marriage. Prayers that your hearts desires may be granted according to God’s will and plan for you. It is often when we are at our lowest that God raises us up to new heights.

Jesus please heal Maria of the injuries of this prolonged betrayal.
Please help her to recover and to move towards genuine love and happiness.

Thank each one of you. Words cannot express what your responses and prayers mean to me right now.

OMG that is almost a mirror of my situation I posted on here last week except my ex gf actually cheated on me but at least came out and told me and blamed her unhappiness for me “not listening enough on IM” and she did this 6 days before I was going to fly out and visit for 10 days! so I had to cancel the flight reservation on top of my broken heart! :frowning: I would be there now if things went how I was almost 100% sure they would just 10 days ago!. It’s not like our relationship went down hill, everything was fine and just bam! she just texted me and ended it. I called her to ask if she was joking or what the hell she was talking about and she couldn’t even answer my phone! To this day we haven’t even talked on the phone and she just ended this all through a series of texts! I was so lost, emotionally destroyed, and confused after how loving our relationship seemed to be to me! Especially since we both were pedging to be pure until marriage and she seemed so serious about it yet it stabbed me so hard in the heart when I heard she was talking to " a friend " guy about me and she was telling him how unhappy she was ( I didn’t even know she was unhappy or what was bothering her!) and she started crying and somehow they ended up having sex!! so much for purity!

It’s amazing how much you seem to know someone after talking for so long and then finding out it was all a hoax and a lie!

I didn’t know she was even unhappy the past month cuz she lied and told me she loved me and wanted to have kids with me for 5 months straight and stuff! and even told me she missed me and loved me and couldn’t wait for me to come out and visit the night before she confessed and broke it off! ??? So like the past 6 weeks or so I was led to believe we were fine (except maybe 1 or 2 fights which we resolved the next day) and all was well and then bam I was in the car when she just said " I think we should be friends, I cheated on you and it made me realize how unhappy I am with you ect. ect.! :frowning: :confused: !! and I was so happy that day because I just finished college finals and was on my way home and going to visit her in a few days and bam that happened and I didn’t even see it coming!

It sucks how stupid and sudden things can really destroy your heart. I was happy and singing one minute in the car and calling my parents the next telling them she just ended it and sobbing for a bit ( guy’s cry too ) on the way home.

I know how you feel! and can totally relate! I’m praying for you too!

Lord bring your child Maria into your ways and heart and let her be surrounded by love as she endures this loss . Lord she needs you , bring good loving Catholics Christians into her life and to lead her the way you need her to go. thanks Lord, in Jesus’s name, amen . Maria GOD BLESS YOU , big hug, I am sorry this happened . But remember GOD works it out to your benefit. , John

Praying for your peace of mind!

first sign of a potentially abusive relationship–lying
second sign–everything is your fault, it things aren’t getting better it is because YOU are not trying.
get out and thank your stars for the learning experience. Analyze why you got into a relationship with this type of personality in the first place, and raise your standards. Begin seeking God’s will for you in your vocation, state in life, career, and from that you will much more readily discern how you are to live your life, and with whom. God bless you.

praying for you! hang in there! Just remember when God shuts one door he will open others.

Thanks for your post, I hope you are feeling better after the holidays. I’m just glad it’s a new year and it’s an opportunity to just leave it all in the past. Still praying for you and for us. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hang in there. Trus in Jesus and things can only get better. Pray for divine consolation and internal peace and healing.

Praying that God’s will be done in both of your lives.

May Our Lady help you find a faithful spouse.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

So this morning I noticed that he’s updated his myspace profile and facebook profile to show “single” and I’m no longer his #1.

With that being said, even though we have not talked to officially end things, it’s quite apparent that he believes it’s definitely over. I guess he just wanted me to “go away” instead of facing “the music.” Personally, I think he’s a coward…and I have to keep reminding myself that I need a “man,” not a “coward” or a “boy.”

Now in my mind I knew the relationship was over…but I think subconciously in my heart I was still hoping. The heart is a funny thing…
And I think it’s because that your mind continues to replay the good times and I keep having to remind myself that we had more arguments and fights to outweigh the good times that we had. Therefore that reminds me that that scenario is definitely not what I want…

So I haven’t gotten my closure and my heart is aching a little more this morning knowing that it’s finally over…

Hi Maria,

Praying for you to heal and find peace. Hang in there, time does help. Sometimes good to think with your head as you are doing and not so much with your heart. Will remember you at this Weekend’s Mass…

Dear Lord,
Please help mhuff1 over her broken heart. Help her to get over this bond in her heart with a person who does not share the same bond. Even though she is in pain now may she find the power to Love You even more. Let her not be tempted to try and constrict her ex-boyfriend, not in her actions or her thoughts. Give her the courage to respect his choices to go where he needs to go. Lord please deliver them both. Free him from her and her from him.
Give her the strength to find peace within herself.
Amen

I’m getting better day by day. I’ve found that it easier to deal with this heartache when I keep busy and I have faith in God.
I’m still not completely at peace, but at least now I don’t cry when I think about it.
First the first time in a while, I was able to listen to Leona Lewis’s song, Better In Time. I loved it but was not really able to listen to it while I was dealing with this heartache.
But I have to say, that this evening, I pulled up the lyrics, played the song, and sang as loud as I could to it! :o
And you know what?? I felt WONDERFUL while doing it! It was almost like my announcement to “him” (even though he has no idea) that I’m going to be fine without him! My life goes on without him!
I posted the lyrics below just to share…I think Leona Lewis hit the nail on the head with exactly how I’m feeling!

Better In Time
By Leona Lewis

*It’s been the longest winter without you
I didn’t know where to turn to
See somehow I can’t forget you
After all that we’ve been through

Going coming thought I heard a knock
Who’s there no one
Thinking that I deserve it
Now I realize that I really didn’t know
If you didn’t notice you mean everything
Quickly I’m learning to love again
All I know is I’mma be ok

[Chorus:]
Thought I couldn’t live without you
It’s gonna hurt when it heals too
It’ll all get better in time
Even though I really love you
I’m gonna smile cause I deserve to

I couldn’t turn on the TV
Without something there to remind me
Was it all that easy
To just put aside your feelings

If I’m dreaming don’t wanna laugh
Hurt my feelings but that’s the path
I’ll believe in
And I know time will heal it
If you didn’t notice boy you mean everything
Quickly I’m learning to love again
All I know is I’mma be ok

[Chorus:]
I’m gonna smile cause I deserve to

Since there’s no more you and me
It’s time I let you go
So I can be free
And live my life how it should be
No matter how hard it is I’ll be fine without you
Yes I will

[Chorus: x2]
I’m gonna smile cause I deserve to (yes I do)
It’ll all get better in time*

Okay, so the past couple of weeks I’ve been doing great. Got back into church, went to confession, buying a house, got a new puppy to spend my time with, catching up with some friends…

Then today I feel like I’m having a set back.
I found out today that Gil is already in another relationship. They had a date last night and obviously both are on cloud nine saying the night was awesome, etc, etc, etc…

Honestly it was like a stab in the heart. I’m still hurt by him and to know this now has me hurting all over again. I don’t want him to be happy. I want him to hurt as much as I hurt. I want him to cry over me. I want him to still love me. All these things I know I’ll never get and even if he still loved me, what good would it do me?

I guess it just hurts to see him go on with his life and be happy with some girl. Cause then I know he’s not at home feeling bad about what he did to me and still loving me and wondering what I’m doing.

I have been trying to do the right thing and actually included him in the prayers the past few days even though he hurt and betrayed me. And then I find out this and I hurt even more.

Work is almost over and I’m ready to go home and pray the rosary…because I found that when I did that while trying to heal from this, I felt at peace during it. So maybe that will help me tonight.
I know that you all have already prayed for my healing…but would you please include me again for my continued healing?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.