Prayers for healing...

I’ve been a long-time lurker. This site helps bring me back to my faith and my love for Catholicism. I have faced a lot of obstacles since marrying my husband, a wonderful man who suffers from treatment-resistant depression. I constantly pray for and receive the grace needed to get through each day, and to be a good role model for our children.

My husband has not worked for the past 6 years due to his illness. I work full-time and have a second job as well. I cannot always be the wife and mother that I wish to be for my family because of my demands outside the home.

I pray daily for a healing for my husband. I will say that because of his illness, he is a far better person than he was prior. He is compassionate and empathetic in a way he never was before and for that I am grateful.

It is however, a double-edged sword, in that his self-esteem suffers because he cannot work and has missed out on so much of our children’s (dd 14, ds 12) lives. He takes care of the kids when I work, but is unable to do much with them. All of this just exacerbates his condition.

I believe in Divine Order and God’s plan. I am just so weary and alone in this. It has been a total of 10 years since his illness began. I am tired.

Our Father, Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen.

I read your post, and I will pray for you! It seems to me that you have been the rock of the family, and that will surely be exhausting. It is good you know that God is with you and helping you, and you could not have done what you have without Him being at your side. Prayer and the sacraments will nourish you.

Do you find any support in your parish? Is your husband a Catholic?

Maybe there is a spiritual solution to his depression. I once read a book by Benedict Groeschel called “Arise from Darkness: What to Do When Life Doesn’t Make Sense”. I found this a good book and maybe your husband or you may find some help there.

May the Lord bless you and heal you, your husband and your children, and be assured that I will pray for you.

Praying my heart out for you that your situation improves greatly!

Welcome the CAF. Glad you eventually joined us.

Prayers that you may find comfort and rest in the Lord. Prayers that your husband be healed from his depression, either through a doctor who finds a treatment that works for him or through miraculous means.

Remember oh most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help or sought your intercession was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence I fly unto thee, oh Virgin of virgins, my mother. To thee I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. Oh mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petition, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen

I appreciate greatly the above prayers. It truly means a lot to me and my family.

In answer to an above question, my husband is not Catholic. He was raised in a Protestant home (Congregational). What makes this situation harder is that his mother was born and raised Catholic, but has become Born-again and is now a Protestant-minded evangelical. She has even chastised me for my Catholic faith, and for raising our children in the Catholic faith. (My husband has been very supportive…it was a mutual decision.) BTW, we were married in my family’s church, it was an ecumenical service with his family’s minister as co-celebrant.

My MIL told me awhile ago that one day she would sit me down and tell me all the reasons Catholicism is wrong. Still waiting for that talk…

My FIL is also very anit-Catholic. He tried to persuade us not to send our children to a Catholic school…did not come to their Christenings and First Communions. :frowning:

So on top of my DH’s depression, I have all this to deal with. My DH is supportive of my faith but does not wish to convert. We do not always see eye to eye, but share values and faith in Christ and share this with our children.

Okay, probably way more than anyone needs to know, but again, I appreciate the prayers and support.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

So sad to hear of all your struggles to defend your faith on top of having to cope with your husbands depression. Having family who are anti-Catholic is a really tough thing to deal with, but you are blessed if your husband is supportive of your faith and the faith of your children.

I live in England, UK, and thankfully anti-Catholic views are quite rare from Protestants. The ecumenical movement has brought Christians much closer together. However, Catholics face tougher attacks from the secular/atheist world. Anti-religious people are gaining much power here, both in the media and in government.

I will pray for you - that you will be able to patiently withstand the attacks on your faith, and that your faith in the dear Lord will help you to cope with your husbands illness for as long as he has it.

I am going to Lourdes next week and I will pray for you at the Grotto.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.

Amen.

You’re not alone. My husband has treatment resistant depression and hasn’t worked for fourteen years following a major stress-breakdown. He also became a less angry, but more frustrated and lethargic person who feels purposeless and does achieve little. He was heading towards the breakdown in the years our boys were home, but they now have families of their own. Perhaps like mine, your husband can bear little visual or aural input, and can’t stand you to talk much.

My prayers will be with you every day now. I hope and pray that life will get better for you and your husband. That he believes in God is a great blessing. Mine doesn’t. His parents were passively ansympathetic to the Catholic faith, but I’ll pray for you in the stress that your husband’s parents’ attitudes bring to your already stressful and hard-working life.
May God bless you and your family

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come. Thy Will be done, on earth, as it is in Heaven
Give us this day our daily bread
Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us;
Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now,
and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen

Trishie,

Thank you for sharing your story and your prayers. It truly helps to know I am not alone.

I join my prayers with yours and will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death
Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.