Prayers for money

I did a search of the past threads and didnt find anything like this so forgive me if we have already been through this but…

how does everyone feel about the relation of money and prayers? I will give two examples to clarify what I mean. First, most churches have a candle display in front of the Blessed Virgin and possibly other statues. Many churches say that you have to pay x dollars or whatever in order to light a candle. Is this right or is this like selling a prayer? I know that th emoney is to help the church, pay for candles, etc… but in my old parish, the priest refused to put up a candle display for the longest time, but when he did, no money was charged (you had to buy your own votive candles). I beieve it was in *Catholic Register *that I read that many some churches are outsourcing prayer requests to foriegn countries since they are overloaded. Included in the requests are usually 5-10 dollars.

So how do you feel about this? Is it right to sell prayers? DO you view it as “selling” prayers? Just wondering…:gopray:

No, I view it as supporting the church and helping pay for material things. It’s our spiritual house after all. I have to pay my electric bill etc. to keep my home going. Same for the church.

I think it is pretty lame to “outsource” prayer candles and prayers to a different country. That would be like giving my friend $ to pray a rosary so I don’t have to. As long as the $ goes to the church or some missionary group, I’m all for it.

$15 is also a lot of money to spend for a candle. I live in California and most of the grocery stores have beeswax candles with pictures of Mary and the saints on them (I think this is because the large Hispanic-Catholic population, anyway, they only cost about $2 or $3 I think.

Not having a place to burn them is no good either. There are a lot of parishes that may not have a lot of $, but their parishoners are sure to be able to have someone talented in wood or metal working that they can make some sort of stand for the candles.

Good Morning Church

I feel the same way about this as I feel about “buying” Masses. I converted to the Church 50 years ago and have always felt that way. There was once a Church in Southern California, this is maybe 40 years ago that actually had a sign in the vestibule that read something like Baptisms-$5.00, Masses-$5.00, Weddings-$20.00, Funerals-…! I was appalled when this sign went up. It hung there for quite a long time until someone finally got through to someone high enough up the ladder to get it taken down. The thing is, that sign only said outwardly what we knew to be true.

If Catholics would obey God and tithe 10% off the top of their income, none of this nonsense would be done. Catholics do not seem to believe that everything belongs to God anyway so you are only giving back what is His and He will always take care of your needs, just as He promised.

We are often accused of idolotry. I was once told by a Priest that the only thing Catholics idolize is their wallets.:frowning:

5$ seems a little ridiculous. All the parishes I’ve ever been to suggest a donation of $0.50 to $1.00 for the candle. The sole purpose is to maintain a fund so the church can get more candles. Its not about making money, its about having candles there. Yes, you could bring your own candle from the store if you want, but it makes it more conveniant and accessable if the candles are right there. And its also a suggested donation, for those who would like to make a prayer without having money for a candle, that is fine too. The suggested donation is just so I know how much the candle costs them, should I choose to reimburse them.

Josh

i know of no church that sells prayers… i know of know church who requires money to be dropped in the box to offfer prayers… usually the box below the candle stand holds donations for anything from new candles to the poor… but, please don’t start rumors about selling prayers… I have not been in all the churches but I would challenge you to produce the name of the church that would require you to donate prior to you lighting a candle… Remember, lighting the candle is only symbolic… you can stay in your pew and offer prayers to and for loved ones or for whatever petitions you feel need a little help…We light the candle so to focus on our petition and we only give donations to help those most in need… :thumbsup:

[quote=space ghost]i know of no church that sells prayers… i know of know church who requires money to be dropped in the box to offfer prayers… usually the box below the candle stand holds donations for anything from new candles to the poor… but, please don’t start rumors about selling prayers… I have not been in all the churches but I would challenge you to produce the name of the church that would require you to donate prior to you lighting a candle… Remember, lighting the candle is only symbolic… you can stay in your pew and offer prayers to and for loved ones or for whatever petitions you feel need a little help…We light the candle so to focus on our petition and we only give donations to help those most in need… :thumbsup:
[/quote]

While I understand how you may be fearful of saying selling prayers (which may not be the best words), I think that you have missed the meaning of this thread. Prayers are not sold at cost or whatever, just the candle. Every chapel I have been to says $x to light a candle. This implies that you must donate. I am not saying that we should not donate to the needy and to others, I am just wondering if you feel that it should be required to light that candle. I am sure there are others out there that have seen the same things and may have wondered about it also.:thumbsup:

How do you feel about the sending of prayers overseas with a donation? Is this justifiable? :confused:

In our church, there is no collection box near the candles. Instead, there is a note directing that an offering be placed in the poor box, in the rear of the church.

It seems like a good way to emphasize that the person isn’t “buying” a prayer, but making a free will offering.

Our Father who art in heaven,hallowed be thy name.Thy kingdom come.Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.Give us this day our daily bread,and forgive us our trespasses,as we forgive those who trespass against us,and lead us not into temptation,but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom,and the power, and the glory,for ever and ever Amen.

Prayers are not for sale they are petition from the heart and soul to God.

You do not pay to pray ....if you pray privately how would anyone even know?

In the UK churches have a voluntary donation box to put pennies in to pay for the candles to light.You do not have to pay to light a candle and say a prayer.

Of course we can pray anytime we do not need candles to do this.

How could you possibly outsource prayers,how could you be overloaded? You would simply pray for all intentions. The mind boggles. Prayers are priceless

God bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.