Prayers for my discernment

Hi all! I would like to request your prayers for an important intention. I have been discerning religious life off and on for 4 years and, though I have tried many times to put the idea out of my head, it inevitably comes back stronger than before. It has happened again recently. I thought that I would forget about religious life and discern marriage, but I couldn’t shake the desires of my heart to become a bride of Christ.

I have discerned with several religious orders including the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus (Northern Province) and the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal. Both orders I met in person, and both were not for me. Now, I am discerning with the Religious Sisters of Mercy in Alma, MI. I am trying to get a hold of Sr. Catherine Marie who is their vocation director so I can arrange a visit when I save up enough money. I also had a generous offer from a benefactor to help me pay for the visit.

I cannot help but think that I might be called to enter in the next year. I’ve been trying to decide which university to attend next semester when I graduate with my 2-year degree in December. It has not been easy. It doesn’t feel right for some reason. Whenever I look at a religious order online, I sense that God is calling me to enter sooner than I expected.

Please pray for me. I need to discern if I am truly called to enter the Religious Sisters of Mercy. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women and
blessed is the Fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners
now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Lord, hear our prayers

Our Father, Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.

Amen.

Glory be to the Father,
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning,
is now,
and ever shall be,
world without end.

Amen.

Praying for you! God bless!

Lord, I pray for DaughterOfMary6 that she be guided by you in deciding which path to take. Please make the decision that she would take very clear to her - without having second thoughts.

I ask this through the intercession of Mama Mary.

Thank you for your gracious prayers! :slight_smile:

May God bless you! I will be praying for you :slight_smile:

Amen.

Thanks be to God for your prayers! I am filled with joy and peace at the prospect of entering religious life in the coming year. I’ve told no one in my family yet of my plans because I have not yet met the Sisters that I feel most called to visit. I’m praying that the Lord will provide a way for me to get there soon! :slight_smile:

O Lord, I beseech Thee to grant me Thy divine light, that I may know the designs of Thy providence concerning me, and that, filled with a sincere desire for my soul’s salvation, I may say, with the young man in the Gospel: What must I do to be saved? All states of life are before me; but still undecided what to do, I await Thy commands. I offer myself to Thee without restriction, without reserve, with a most perfect submission.

Far be it from me O Lord, to oppose the order of Thy wisdom, and, unfaithful to the inspiration of Thy grace, to strive to subject the will of the Creator to the caprice of the creature. It is not for the servant to choose the way in which he will serve his master: do Thou lay upon me what commands Thou pleasest. My lot is in Thy hands. I make no exception, lest perchance what I except be that which Thou willest, and because I am too short-sighted to discover in the future the different obstacles I shall meet with, if without Thy guidance, I make myself the arbiter of my own conduct. Speak, Lord, to my soul; speak to me as Thou didst to the youthful Samuel: Speak, Lord; for Thy servant heareth. I cast myself at Thy feet, and I am ready, if it be Thy will, to sacrifice myself as a victim to Thee for the remainder of my days, in such ways as Thou shall deem most worthy of Thy greatness.

Amen.

What a beautiful prayer! Thank you! :slight_smile:

Praying for you. Keep it up!

Thank you all, so much, for your prayers! I have been signed up to attend the retreat with the Religious Sisters of Mercy in November and I have just bought my plane ticket. I am so excited! The vocations director is the sweetest person on earth. She has been so helpful to me already. I cannot wait to visit all the Sisters in Michigan. :slight_smile:

Praying for you :slight_smile:

Thank you for your continued prayers. As it gets closer and closer to the retreat date, I get more and more excited and happy that I will finally be able to visit this beautiful community. They are so vibrant and on fire for the Lord!

Just a little history:

A group of Sisters split away from the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas in 1973 when it was discerned that the original Sisters were not following the rule of Mother Catherine McAuley. Because of the call to renewal put forth by Bl. John Paul II, these Sisters decided to reform. They follow the original constitutions put forth by the Venerable Mother McAuley and recognize her as their foundress.

Their apostolate is serving the poor, sick, and ignorant in health care, education, and evangelization. Most of the Sisters serve as physicians, social workers, nurses, etc. There are two Sisters studying in Rome for Theology. This order is steadily growing each year and they received 4 new postulants on August 1st. They had 5 Sisters make final vows.

I am so grateful to God for this wonderful opportunity! :slight_smile:

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

I wanted to bring up this topic again because I am no longer discerning religious life. I have discerned that it is God’s will that I focus on other vocations and I feel peaceful about that decision. Thank you for your prayers! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.