Prayers for my family

This past spring, both of my grandmothers died within 22 days of each other. This holiday season will be very hard without them here on earth to celebrate with, and my family, especially my mother and my aunt (the daughter of my paternal grandmother) are having a pretty difficult time... so much so that my mom is very hesitant about cooking at all for Thanksgiving, since her mother always ate with us for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I, too, am finding out just how difficult the first holiday season after a close family member, and espeically two in such a close period of time, can be. I pray and hope that we all can be drawn closer together through our grief and not apart as I fear may happen.

Also, my maternal grandmother's estranged brother just died a few days ago. I never met him, and I only know that there were many, many hard feelings between him and the rest of the family, but I still wish to pray for the repose of his soul.

I will pray for your family. May God heal your family and fill it with genuine mutual love for the living as well as for the dead. I can see that you desire the same, and may God gran that! Hugs!

I hope that your mother will see the importance of continuing the tradition if nothing else, in honour of her mother who would surely prefer to see the family united. When my mother died in July at age 43, leaving nine children ranging from four years old upwards, we were all deeply affected, and my father became ill and nearly died with grief.

But instead of allowing Christmas, our first without her miserable, I though 18, did everything possible to make it a lovely, extra pleasant Christmas. Out of my own money from my job, I bought presents for everyone, and lots more nibbly treats for during the day, than we ever had enjoyed before, and got the nicest food to prepare that I could. I did my best to make it extra special, as with the kids birthdays for the rest of the year and next. You don't give up because of those who have died, you do even better, because that's what's loving for everyone in the family. We all knew our Mum wasn't there, but we did her proud, and it was me who made it a really good Christmas, and I was only in my first year out of school.....the person who has gone doesn't want anyone miserable.

Thanksgiving can be a celebration of the beloved one's life, and one, everyone, still has so much to be thankful for. Thanks be to God!

Thank you so much for your prayers and kind words… What you said about the importance of contining on traditions even (and perhaps especially) after a family member has died is exactly how I feel, but I haven’t been so great about expressing it like that to my mom. I have already offered help with preparing the meal on Thanksgiving, which is why she is only reluctant about having it (before she was adamant about not doing it)… I think that I will offer to do the whole thing, and afterwards put up the Christmas tree. I know my grandmother would be very unhappy if we weren’t to do anything for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Again, thank you so much for the prayers and the words that I needed to hear… Maybe I can help my mom hear them as well.

Things changed around here after my father passed away too. Praying for your family, especially for your parents that they may find comfort in the Church during christmas ...

Hail Mary
Full of grace
the Lord is with thee
Blessed art thou among women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb
Jesus
Holy Mary
Mother of God
pray for us sinner now
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.