Prayers for my Friend and Questions

Let me start by saying, to clear up any confusion, that I am Catholic. My friend is not. After four years of knowing him I finally had a conversation with one of my best college friends and now roommate regarding the most important topic-God, and to a greater extent the various religions. I realize I could have brought up the topic earlier but for some reason (maybe fear of making him uncomfortable) I never did.

Anyway, we talked a bit and as I suspected he is basically agnostic. However, and I found this to be the most surprising part-he has a very positive view of most forms of organized religion (with some exceptions) because he recognizes that religion for the most part helps people to become much better than they would be without it. His words were “I think religion is wonderful.” He’s been to many religious services with friends, most of which he said he enjoyed greatly. On an even more positive note, he said he would definitely come to the Latin Mass with me sometime.

At the same time, however, he has his doubts. He’s seen those who use religion as a crutch, both to get by for themselves and to beat others over the head with. Plus, his attitude is that he has a fairly good idea of the claims of the major religions and that there’s just not a good enough way to establish the objective, verifiable truth of any of them beyond a reasonable doubt. I briefly told him the basic reasons for my faith regarding my conviction that the existence of this universe cannot explain itself, as well as the uniqueness of the claim of the Resurrection among world religions.

A little background: my friend is a good person, someone who’s reliable and hard-working coming from a good family in a small town. He’s very strict and conservative in his social views and in his own personal morality. I cannot in good conscience call him a moral relativist.

Obviously my friend could use your prayers, and I thank you for them in advance as I’m sure those who read this will not neglect. Also, have you had friends or acquaintances like this? How do you talk to them effectively about God, faith and specifically Catholicism?

O Lord, You who steadied the hand of Peter as he began to sink on the stormy sea, if you are with collegekid, no one is against him. Grant to him the shield of faith and the mighty armor of the Holy Spirit to protect him and guide him to do Your will concerning his friends and all those he may testify to in your name Jesus. The future I put into Your hands, O Lord, and he follows You to a life in Christ. Grant also to his friend conversion and life in Christ. Amen

Friends like that? No, that’s been me. Your friend sounds like he’s seeking and that’s wonderful. Sounds like he’s open to knowing God.

Keep your life as a witness to him. Keep discussing God with him and your faith. Be yourself.

I know a Agnostic gentleman he is right beside Catholics outside the Abortion Clinics. He has lots of respect for Catholics and their faith. So, actually it doesn’t surprise me that your friend has a postive view of religion.

I will pray for him as well as you, for God to put the right words and actions in your mind as you go through this walk with your friend.

Come Holy Spirit … Praying for you and your friend! :slight_smile:

~~ the phoenix

Amen.
:byzsoc:

Your friend kept in prayer…

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_14_5.gifLord, please make evangalists of us, Amen.

Your friend is in my prayers. :gopray:

Lord Jesus, each of us, every living creature will bow down before you. We thank you for stirring the soul of this young college man and ask the Holy Spirit to continue to prod him and guide him along this journey. As it will be his journey of faith to finding You.

Amen.

Praying for your friend…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.