Prayers for My Prisoners

Thank you for your previous prayers, and please keep us ever in your prayers.
Our unit is a Theraputic Community behind the wall- a med/max security prison right on a regular cell block. Our offices overlook the cells, and after teaching for two hours a day, we all return to the block until the end of the day. During this time, the “real work” is done, in conversations with the men about their pasts, their crimes and their plans. Men are so wanting to talk that they literally stand in line to speak to us, and despite the bravado, most of them are lonely and empty. The warmth and humor that we bring to this place makes everyone more cooperative, and things generally go well on this unit.
The only problem with all of this is that there are some corrections supervisors who either do not understand the recovery process, or who disagree with it, entirely. These men sit at desks all day watching every move we make on camera!, Then, they interpret for themselves what is taking place. They alos do devious things to get the men upset and throw them into turmoil. SInce these are often tempermental individuals, this gets them “lugged” or put into the “hole” for their behavior, when it is clear that far more appropriate methods could have been employed. They accuse us of being taken advantage of (even if it doesn’t happen) and of being “overly friendly” even though there is no proof of anything more that talking and maybe even, God forbid it, laughing, going on. We were told there was “way too much laughing and smiling going on down there”!
Please, please keep this in your prayers, these men need to come together as a community to hold out against this most uncharitable and detrimental treatment. Cruelty and indifference is exactly what ALLOWS these guys to hurt people, it is a natural, eye for an eye reaction. Please pray that our good work is not undermined by Satan’s wiles done through these power-hungry, misguided individuals. I need your help, and so do my men. We are so grateful for the spirit which keeps us going in the incredibly trying circumstances of prison life.

May you and the men in your charge find consolation in our Lord. May he grant you all peace. May the men causing strife come to know the mercy of Christ Jesus and offer it themselves to others. God bless and keep you all. I hope it gets better for you all soon.

Praying.

Saint Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host -
by the Divine Power of God -
cast into hell, satan and all the evil spirits,
who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Just a brief story to go with this prayer. My father spent time in prison. He went in as a theif. When he returned to us and the outside life, there wasn’t a soul that would give him a job. He went into business for himself in our basement. Today he has several multi-million dollar businesses. My father is a good Christian Man.

He will give an ex-con a 2nd chance. He does what all Christians should do.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I’m proud of my father and his past. He wouldn’t be the man he is today without his mistakes from the past.

I have faith in these men! If and when they are released…they need to show the world what God has done for them!

God will bless you for what you do for them!

Lord of all mercy, enter the hearts of both the prisoners and guards, that their power struggle may be melted by the warmth of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Send a new Saint Peter to preach the Gospel and assist in converting sorrowing and sarcastic hearts to the loving heart of Christ. May both prisoner and guard reflect on the “out date” and work toward a peaceful and spirit-filled transition, once their prescribed debt is paid. We ask this through Christ out Lord, who lives and reins with You and the Holy Spirit, One God for ever and ever. Amen.

Ave María, grátia plena, Dóminus tecum. Benedícta tu in muliéribus, et benedíctus fructus ventris tui, Iesus.
Sancta María, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatóribus, nunc et in hora mortis nostræ. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

I will keep you, and all those who work with the men,in my prayers with my son, a prisoner, just know, you are doing the LORDS work,and HE will stand beside you.I will pray for the guards and supervisors that the HOLY SPIRIT instills in them mercy for these men,In JESUS name pray!

Will keep the incarcerated as well as the correction officers…and yourself…in daily prayer…

When I arrived at work today, I was told to go home- an investigation of my “boundary issues” was taking place. Satan is hard at work to undermine God’s mercy, and whatever happens, your prayers for these men must continue. The prodigal sons are not to be left for dead! I am heavy-hearted, but not defeated. Thank you so much.

You and those in prison are in my prayers. Our parish has a group of individuals who are heavily involved in prison ministry, and I am always amazed and inspired by their dedication to these much maligned individuals. Let us not forget the corporal works of mercy!

Peace be with you always, and please update us.

Kelly

This must be a very difficult time for you…keeping you in daily prayer …

Continued prayers for you, iserve,

… as well as for the prisoners.

From today’s Liturgy of the Hours:

Psalm 143 (144)

For victory and peace

Blessed be the Lord, my help,
who trains my hands for battle,
my fingers for war.
The Lord is kindness and strength,
my refuge and my liberator.
He is my shield, and I trust in him –
he places my people under his rule.

Lord, what is man, that you should take notice of him?
The son of man, that you should give him respect?
For man is as nothing,
his day is like a shadow that passes.

Lord, descend from your heavens,
touch the mountains so that they smoke.
Brandish your lightnings and scatter my enemies,
fire your arrows, sow confusion among them.
Send down your power from above,
raise me and free me from the flooding waters,
from the power of those of foreign race,
whose speeches are not to be trusted,
who lift up their hands in perjury.

I will sing a new song to you, God:
I will sound your praise on the ten-stringed harp.
You give victory to kings,
you rescue David your servant
from the swords of his enemies.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
world without end.
Amen.

Thank you Phoenix for that lovely psalm, it does make me feel good to unite my suffering to those whose same prayers have risen to Gods ears in hope throughout the ages. I thank all of you for this, which causes me to suffer for the love of those who do not get much of that. I am quite sure at this time that I will not be allowed to return. A film was shown where I was seen listening too closely for too long a time to an “inmate”, which for these particular people is proof that I am too friendly. I have seen the administration looking daggers at me when we all meet the general population every Wednesday, and I am polite and nice to them. I know down to the smallest cell in my body that I have done nothing more than this, but these two hate-filled individuals have the power to intimidate everyone into making sure that no one working with inmates is nice to them. the co’s I work with are great, and most of them are also only following orders.
This is the only thing making me sad: that I can no longer smile at them with God’s invitation to return to Him, and to look upon the part of them that God sees until they can see it too.
I, too have felt His love through them, and throughout my career, I have never felt such warmth and gratefulness from those I’ve worked with, and I thank Him for this experience. I hope He is pleased with what I tried to do.

Oh, you bet God is pleased. There are not many such as you… You will be blessed as will all the men you have comforted.

Just wait until you see what he has in line for you next.

Christ’s peace.

Iserve:

I can say that He is:

*"When the Son of man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate them one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, and he will place the sheep at his right hand, but the goats at the left.

Then the King will say to those at his right hand, `Come, O blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world;…I was in prison and you came to me.’"

Then the righteous will answer him, `Lord, when did we see thee…in prison and visit thee?’

And the King will answer them, `Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.’"*

Matt 25:25-40 (excerpted) RSV-CE

Have you thought of contacting the administrators and asking them if they would read Matthew 25:31-45 and pray with you about the prisoners and your ministry to them?

I would suspect that they’re Christians who’ve bought the usual Corrections lie about prisoners being no better than animals. The fact that you’re treating them as children of God for whom Christ died may be making them feel uncomfortable already.

I would hope that seeing the words of our Lord in black and white and praying about it would help that discomfort to cause obedience to God and His word.

There is always the chance thair hearts may become even more hardened by that conviction.

Of course, I’ll be praying for you and your friends now that I’ve seen this.

"May the Lord bless you and keep you; may the LORD cause his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; may the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and grant you peace."
Numbers 6:24-26

Your Brother in Christ, Michael

Just by seeing your title i knew that you were in turmoil… just know that i have already said a quick prayer for you and will continue to pray for all of you.

Have you thought of contacting the administrators and asking them if they would read Matthew 25:31-45 and pray with you about the prisoners and your ministry to them?

I would suspect that they’re Christians who’ve bought the usual Corrections lie about prisoners being no better than animals. The fact that you’re treating them as children of God for whom Christ died may be making them feel uncomfortable already.

T*hese are the administrators! That’s the problem, they get to dictate the atmosphere there. Oddly enough, last year the director of security’s daughter got married and my pastor performed the ceremony as he knew him from years ago. I am the wedding coordinator there, so I saw all of them at the ceremony. Not one of them (all Irish names, though) knew what to do at Mass, nor did they go to Communion, so I doubt that they do much worshipping. They are way too full of themselves it appears.
But… I took a chance at being seen doing the tv Mass on our parish feast day last year, and when one inmate saw it, the entire block cleared out to watch me on tv! So, I was an instant celebrity all over the jail. It was very funny- one of them thought I was with the pope! Of course, at least they have reasons for their ignorance, there is none for those who fail to thank almighty God for the blessings they have.
I have been thinking, and since I know most of these guys’ info, I may just really turn out to be a friend and begin writing to them. There is no reason for me to stop teaching them just because I can’t be there in person. Any opinions about this idea?
Thank you all for your kind words and prayers, I cried when I read them this morning and I feel the “balm of Gilead” in this prayer community.

Continuing prayers for you, **iserve **…

A brief passage from today’s Liturgy of the Hours:

Afternoon reading (None) Colossians 3:23 - 24
Whatever your work is, put your heart into it as if it were for the Lord and not for men, knowing that the Lord will repay you by making you his heirs. It is Christ the Lord that you are serving.

… You are Still working for the Lord, and you provide an inspiring example of faith, hope, and charity.

~~ the phoenix

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.