Prayers for my relationship with my brother

My brother is gay. That has never been a problem between us, until yesterday.

A few days ago a jeweler in my province put a poster in his store. It read “The sanctity of Marriage is under attack. Let’s keep marriage between a man and a woman.” Social media exploded and the comments were negative as you can imagine. In response to a thread, I wrote “So what you are all saying is that anyone who is Catholic should just shut up?”

I was shocked to see this response from my brother “It would be a great start. Have your beliefs, by all means, but don’t impose them on others. The next time you think of me as an abomination, do it while eating pork or lobster, or while you are planting different seeds in your garden, while wearing clothes of different fabrics. All things you should be put to death for according to the great wisdom of Leviticus. And what is marriage now? Oh yes the prize at the end of The Bachelor or The Bacherlorette a Reality show.”

It broke my heart. I’ve never felt like that about him. I’ve never thought of him as an abomination. He’s the brother I have the most in common with and with whom I was always close.

This morning I just private messaged him "I have only ever thought about you as “my brother.” I have no idea what else to say and don’t know how to deal with this. Please pray that we can be reconciled.

Remembering you and your brother in my daily prayers. God bless :console:

I think you handled it perfectly. When things go awry sometimes saying less is best as you did. I pray for restoration of a brotherly relationship.

Mary.

Lord, please grant reconcilement and love always between these brothers. Let no sin of the tongue or heart penetrate this situation. Lead them joyfully with holy angels. See that they be heroic examples of your holiness always. Lead them through this and all matters ever closer to the eternal garden of joy. Penetrate the dark threats to this fallen world with heavenly light. Have mercy, Lord. Our Lady, angels, and saints, pray with us. Amen.

And if it helps anyone regarding the “pork/Leviticus” argument mentioned in the OP, remember that the OT law contained both moral and regulatory law. The moral law transcends the regulatory law, even though it is contained therein. See this article for further explanation: Why We Are Not Bound by Everything in the Old Law

I’m the sister but thank you for your prayer. :slight_smile:

And if it helps anyone regarding the “pork/Leviticus” argument mentioned in the OP, remember that the OT law contained both moral and regulatory law. The moral law transcends the regulatory law, even though it is contained therein. See this article for further explanation: Why We Are Not Bound by Everything in the Old Law

Thank you. I’m aware of all that but apparently he isn’t and now doesn’t seem to be the time to point it out to him - particularly via the internet as we live in different provinces.

***Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death
Amen.

:crossrc:***

Praying for you & your brother.

Oops, sorry, I misread. And your judgment seems very sound. I pray all unfolds well for you both!!

Praying that you are reconciled with your brother. It’s a terrible shame that people are equating opposition to same-sex marriage as opposition to gay people, or at the very least, lack of respect for them.

It’s almost impossible to get people to understand that the nature of marriage is the issue, and it’s not about trying to restrict the human rights of gay people.

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Amen.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

Remembering your intentions in a novena to the Holy Spirit. God bless.

Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your Spirit and they shall be created. And You shall renew the face of the earth.

O, God, who by the light of the Holy Spirit, did instruct the hearts of the faithful, grant that by the same Holy Spirit we may be truly wise and ever enjoy His consolations, through Christ Our Lord,
Amen.

I pray for Phemie and her brother, that LOVE might
rule in their relationship, that they will learn to get
along w/ one another.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the
beginning, is now and ever shall be,
world w/o end.
Amen.

Gracious and merciful Father, please come to their assistance.

Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Amen.

Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus.
Amen.

Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen.

***Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death
Amen.

:crossrc:***

Praying for healing in your relationship with your brother. It is obvious from your post that you love him very much and you are hurting right now. Praying he will be willing to talk with you so you can clear the air and be like a brother and sister again.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the Fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen. †

Our Father, Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.

And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

Amen. †

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the Fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.

Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.

Amen. †

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle,
be our defense against the wickedness and snares
of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray.
And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the
power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other
evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen. †

St. Thérèse of Liseux Prayer From “Story of A Soul”

May today there be peace within.
May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith.
May you use those gifts that you have received,
and pass on the love that has been given to you.
May you be content knowing you are a child of God.
Let this presence settle into your bones,
and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise, and love.
It is there for each and every one of us.

Amen. †

Lord, thank you that you are with me right now.
Your love surpasses all fear.
I give you the anxiety I feel.
I surrender all my worries to you.
Clear my mind;
Calm my heart;
Still my Spirit;
Relax my being, that, I may
always glorify you in everything
I write, speak and do.

Amen. †

:signofcross: :blessyou:

Thank you for all your prayers.

He never responded to my comment about only thinking of him as “my brother” so I wasn’t sure what was going on.

Yesterday he called me and we spoke for about 40 minutes. The conversation was not as comfortable as it usually is but there was no mention of the above texts. He did ask if I was coming home this summer so I guess we’ll go on as usual and avoid the topic.

Amen.

Amen.

Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.